What speed would you aim for at the top of the hill?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby YorkshireJumbo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 pm

Near me is a road I travel most days (see here). Passing the NSL signs uphill, there is a junction at the bottom of the hill on the far side of the dual carriageway. I don't see much point in accelerating briskly uphill, only to have to lose all that speed by the bottom of the hill, so I accelerate gently up the hill, reaching 40-45 mph and then maintain that speed down to the junction. I do sometimes feel as though that's pottering, but the consumption reading can drop into single figures when I do accelerate briskly. The same thing happens in the opposite direction, when you accelerate from a standstill (or nearly) from the junction, only to have to slow to 30mph for the town.

What speed would you aim for at the top of the hill in either case?
You may have speed, but I have momentum
YorkshireJumbo

Postby Gareth » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Is the engine cold?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby martine » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:17 am

I suppose it depends what mood I'm in. It is quite a long way from the NSL signs, up the hill and to the junction so I might be tempted to get up to 60 then smoothly off down the hill.

Is it a big problem?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:47 am

Unless there is somebody behind me who might be frustrated by my leisurely progress, I think I'd do what YJ does.

As I see it that section of road doesn't look long enough to make me feel I ought to be reaching 60 mph, so I probably wouldn't.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby YorkshireJumbo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:35 am

True - when the engine is cold I do accelerate more slowly and change up earlier. If I ever go up Moor Lane from the crossroads when cold, I'll often be doing less than 30mph by the bend near the A64 as the hill is quite steep and I don't want to thrash a cold engine. Problem is that people use it as a shortcut between the A64 and A612, so they often want to go faster than I do first thing in the morning.

Back to my original question, I struggle to reach 60mph between the NSL and the top of the hill unless I really thrash the car - it's roughly 100m uphill. Coming the other way from the crossroads, if you've accelerated to 60 by the top, you've then got 100m to slow down again, so is it worth it? I'm just interested how people feel about how much "progress" you should be making for its own sake.
YorkshireJumbo

Postby TripleS » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:22 pm

In view of the layout of the area and the short distances involved, I wouldn't worry about 'making progress' - in practical terms there's no benefit worth worrying about.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:46 pm

"Progress" doesn't necessarily mean thrashing your car to within an inch of its life when you've just set off on a frosty morning. It's all relative. For the sake of 100 yards, definitely not worth it.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Ancient » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:47 pm

I may be being fooled by the google car, but it appears to be a fairly sharp brow on the hill with a right-hand bend, so I wouldn't particularly want to accelerate up to it, unless the view ahead improves more rapidly than it appears to. I certainly wouldn't be pressurised by others wanting to go faster (they can always overtake as and when safe).
Ancient

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Might depend upon what your are driving, how much motoring costs concern you and your mood.
There is another way to consider it, what if you were on an AD test, with one of the recognised organisations, what would the examiner expect, local knowledge or not?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby YorkshireJumbo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:36 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:...
There is another way to consider it, what if you were on an AD test, with one of the recognised organisations, what would the examiner expect, local knowledge or not?

That was really my question, I suppose
YorkshireJumbo

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:00 pm

YorkshireJumbo wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:...

That was really my question, I suppose

In an AD test I can understand you being concerned to satisfy the Examiner, but at other times, particularly in a situation such as this, I think you should do what you feel is appropriate on the day. TBH, I don't think an AD Examiner ought to mark you down for failing to reach 60 mph on that section of road; unless we're being deceived as to the true nature of the road.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Return to Advanced Driving Forum