Correct gear at all times?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:55 am

vonhosen wrote:
jcochrane wrote:
vonhosen wrote:Congratulations then, we've found a perfect drive.

I wish. :lol:

Make your mind up, it was beyond reproach or not.

Against the standard of a "perfect drive" I failed as I always do and will continue to do. But you already know that. However my errors were considered by the assessor as not justifying words of reproach/criticism from him.

Thanks Mark it was a pass. But not the perfect drive. :)
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby GJD » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:51 am

waremark wrote:Sorry. I am taking this argument about semantics too seriously.

I think everybody is. I've never seen such a concerted charge down a needless rabbit hole :).
GJD

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:03 pm

GJD wrote: I've never seen such a concerted charge down a needless rabbit hole :).

What, you mean the aim towards a 'perfect drive'? :lol:

The thing about 'perfection' is that it's only at that instant; which is why I asked how the assessor presented the comment (be it criticism, observation, fad, whatever) so that the person on the receiving end would be bale to make use of it on other bends in future?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby GJD » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:24 pm

Horse wrote:
GJD wrote: I've never seen such a concerted charge down a needless rabbit hole :).

No. I meant the semantic intricacies :).
GJD

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:49 pm

GJD wrote:
waremark wrote:Sorry. I am taking this argument about semantics too seriously.

I think everybody is. I've never seen such a concerted charge down a needless rabbit hole :).

I agree with you. 8)

Going back to Brian's analogy involving the classical singer, I don't know what to make of that. My interest in music is fairly wide-ranging, but I have never been appreciative of the talents of classical singers, and I'm not sure that I see a useful relationship between the skilled use of a human voice, and an activity that involves controlling a large and complex machine in a very wide variety of circumstances.

Anyhow, that was two pages back and I think I'll leave it there.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:51 pm

GJD wrote:
Horse wrote:

No. I meant the semantic intricacies :).

Really? Well I be . . . :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby MGF » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:15 pm

It seems to me that JC is saying that during the drive there were occasions where more than one gear was available to him that would have been correct in terms of sufficient control and flexibility. He generally chose the lower of the two but on this occasion chose the higher one.

It isn't clear whether or not there was any criticism of inappropriate speed, position or gear throughout the entire drive. If there wasn't and the only comment the assessor could make was a slight lack of consistently in the choice of appropriate gears then JC's drive was indeed, for most people, perfect - or 'beyond reproach'. :)
MGF

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:20 pm

FWIW, After my IAM bike test, the examiner commented on the report sheet for 'gears': 'thoughtful'

To this day I have no idea what it meant :) no verbal comment was made at the time.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:49 pm

Horse wrote:FWIW, After my IAM bike test, the examiner commented on the report sheet for 'gears': 'thoughtful'

To this day I have no idea what it meant :) no verbal comment was made at the time.

Well I can't see it as an adverse comment in any way. I'd be quite chuffed about that sort of comment.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby zadocbrown » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:39 pm

Perhaps we should reflect that 'perfect' is not always defined as 'beyond improvement'. It can also mean 'having all the necessary qualities' or words to that effect.
zadocbrown

Postby vonhosen » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 pm

zadocbrown wrote:Perhaps we should reflect that 'perfect' is not always defined as 'beyond improvement'. It can also mean 'having all the necessary qualities' or words to that effect.

A scraped pass has all the necessary qualities for the standard.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum