Correct gear at all times?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gareth » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:41 pm

One of the aims in advanced driving, (and riding, it seems after a cursory search), but what does it mean? Clearly from recent discussions it means different things to different people, and presumably it may mean different things depending on the purpose, or mood, of the driver. Perhaps it is easier to discuss times when we've been in the wrong gear for what we wanted to do, and then try to avoid repeating those 'mistakes'. So, what is your definition? And how does it manifest itself in practice?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:16 pm

<South Wales accent>
We want to keep the engine running at about that 2500 rpm mark, don't we? In a diesel it might be 2000 rpm, but in most petrol cars 2500 is usually about right.
</South Wales accent>

(This statement refers to a "jumping off point", not to a desire for a continuous state, btw)

Works for me :) Some engines will be torquier, and able to suffer lower levels and still be flexible. Others will need more revs, and may need a lower gear taken at times when it becomes apparent that extra get up and go will be required.

When I've got it wrong, I've usually been in too high a gear, rather than one too low.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:20 pm

Gareth wrote:One of the aims in advanced driving, (and riding, it seems after a cursory search), but what does it mean? Clearly from recent discussions it means different things to different people, and presumably it may mean different things depending on the purpose, or mood, of the driver. Perhaps it is easier to discuss times when we've been in the wrong gear for what we wanted to do, and then try to avoid repeating those 'mistakes'. So, what is your definition? And how does it manifest itself in practice?

I prefer to avoid being so specific as to refer to "corrrect" gear, partly because cars vary so widely in their characteristics. In one car the "correct" gear for a situation might be 2nd, whereas in another car 4th might be equally satisfactory.

Most (but not all) AD experts seem to set great store by this notion of "correct" gear, but perhaps it would be better not to be quite so dogmatic, and instead to think in terms of a gear that is "appropriate" or "suitable" for the particular combination of car and situation. By all means encourage drivers to consider this, but then let them decide for themselves.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:33 pm

I think you've been exposed to the wrong type of AD driver, Dave :mrgreen: . None of the ones I know are dogmatic about gears, albeit there are a few "3rd for 30" diehards out there. Most, on the other hand, want a gear that keeps their engine turning at a speed which lies in a torque-rich part of the rev. range. Even the dogmas serve to educate people who start AD dedicated to travelling in the highest possible gear at all times, whether or not that is sympathetic to the mechanicals.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:59 pm

Because my wife and I share a car at present (until March next year) it has been interesting to note the different approach to the same stretch of road taken by both of us.

Because my/our car has very good low down torque I am normally in a higher gear than my wife for most situations, part of the reason for this is the way she was taught (2nd for most turns, 3rd or 4th for overtaking etc) and part is down to her lack of understanding of "torque". (I have tried!!)

Neither of the approaches we use is wrong as such but just illustrates that different drivers can achieve the same result and both be in, as far as they are concerned, the "correct" gear.

By the same token I have never known my wife to do a block change up through the gears, down the box maybe but never up, again not wrong as such just a different approach.

I agree that the ideal method is probably to keep the engine in the "sweet spot" where the torque can best be utilised but unless you understand how that torque works you will always assume that best acceleration or drivability will only be achieved with a down shift.

My wife also hates the noise the induction kit makes as the torque really kicks in, so by dropping a gear she can make the noise go away!!!!
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby Astraist » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:14 am

Another drawback to the "correct" gear percpetion is that the gear choice also depends on the observed hazards ahead and not just the mere operation of the tranny or the mechanical operation of the engine. I tell trainees that if they shifted up only to shift down within the next three seeconds - they shouldn't have shifted up at all.
Astraist

Postby waremark » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:33 am

[quote="Mr Cholmondeley-Warner"]<South Wales accent>
We want to keep the engine running at about that 2500 rpm mark, don't we? In a diesel it might be 2000 rpm, but in most petrol cars 2500 is usually about right.
</South Wales accent>
Alternative for those who took the HPC route longer ago: 'Let the engine sing'.

Gareth - you're right to highlight how little that expression tells you.
waremark

Postby martine » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:27 am

Like Mr Cholmondely-Warner I am sometimes lazy and stay in too high a gear to be ideal...I blame it on the car as my engine has max. torque from 1600rp flat to 4000. So it's definitely not the driver's fault, oh no... :roll:

Of course utilising the torque for potential acceleration is one thing but being in too high a gear also lessons potential engine braking.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:29 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I think you've been exposed to the wrong type of AD driver, Dave :mrgreen:

Maybe so, but I no longer worry about that. Even so, some helpful points have emerged from other people I've driven with. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:38 am

martine wrote:Like Mr Cholmondely-Warner I am sometimes lazy and stay in too high a gear to be ideal...I blame it on the car as my engine has max. torque from 1600rp flat to 4000. So it's definitely not the driver's fault, oh no... :roll:

Of course utilising the torque for potential acceleration is one thing but being in too high a gear also lessons potential engine braking.

Yes it does, and it is also likely to lessen the benefit to be gained from the over-run fuel cut-off feature, because the low(ish) engine speed where fuelling re-commences will be reached earlier. With this in mind I think I ought to try making more use of lower gears in built-up areas.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ROG » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:39 am

Manual or auto - the gear being used should be flexible enough to cope with the conditions at the time without having to use the brakes for minor adjustments in speed

What gear that should be will depend on how the gearbox is set up

For the majority of standard 5 speed manual gearboxes then 3rd at 30 will be the correct gear as most 30s require flexibility
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby fungus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:19 pm

ROG wrote:Manual or auto - the gear being used should be flexible enough to cope with the conditions at the time without having to use the brakes for minor adjustments in speed

What gear that should be will depend on how the gearbox is set up

For the majority of standard 5 speed manual gearboxes then 3rd at 30 will be the correct gear as most 30s require flexibility

I find that in a 30 my Fiesta is better in 3rd, but if the road is flat it will cope ok in 4th, but there is some loss of flexibility. My daughters R53 Cooper S is definately better in 3rd at 30, as is my wifes 306 HDI.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:41 pm

Correct Gear = NOT(Wrong Gear)

It's horses for courses (or swings and roundabouts, if that's your preference).
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby waremark » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:19 pm

ROG wrote:For the majority of standard 5 speed manual gearboxes then 3rd at 30 will be the correct gear as most 30s require flexibility

Require flexibility? If only; that would suggest that you don't drive on many 30's where speed is limited only by the speed limit.
waremark

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:31 pm

Slink_Pink wrote: It's horses for courses

Well, since you ask ;)

Correct gear = one where you can accelerate or slow just on the throttle, with the degree of that varied (by gear choice within a range) according to the environment.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum