Cruise control...

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby morsing » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:48 am

I haven't come across any advanced driving view on the use of cruise control. Are there any?
morsing

Postby jont » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:15 pm

It was discussed only a few months ago...
http://advanced-driving.co.uk/forum/vie ... f=9&t=3540
jont

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:58 pm

morsing wrote:I haven't come across any advanced driving view on the use of cruise control. Are there any?

Do you really need an advanced driving view on it?

It's like any other device: it needs to be used sensibly, which means understanding the benefits it can offer, but more importantly, the problems that can arise as a result of misuse. I like the device; although my problem was a reluctance to over-ride the thing, which meant that I sometimes negotiated bends at speeds that were higher than I would otherwise have used. That was my fault, and can not be blamed on cruise control.

When I was doing my two years of new car delivery work, I worked with a chap who made extensive use of cruise control, even on busy motorways. The result was that he was frequently engaging and disengaging it; and my feeling was that it wasn't worth trying to use it in those circumstances.

No doubt others will provide a more helpful reply.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
Last edited by TripleS on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby Gareth » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:15 pm

On motorways and some dual carriageways I like the different challenges it presents, especially for changing lanes to pass slower traffic while keeping it enabled :D This would be generally when I pick a speed that is only slightly faster than the heavies; when going quicker, in slippery conditions or when there may be standing water it is disengaged.

I sometimes find it disconcerting on a bend, when the balance of the car is all wrong, and I need to adjust the steering reactively to compensate for the almost constant speed. I rarely use it on rural single carriageways for this reason, but sometimes still do just to prove (to myself) I can!
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby morsing » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:15 pm

jont wrote:It was discussed only a few months ago...
http://advanced-driving.co.uk/forum/vie ... f=9&t=3540

D'oh, sorry, I missed that!
morsing

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Gareth wrote:I sometimes find it disconcerting on a bend, when the balance of the car is all wrong, and I need to adjust the steering reactively to compensate for the almost constant speed.

Oh, I hadn't noticed that; so presumably my immense natural talent is such that I was making all the necessary compensation without realising that there actually was a problem. :P

This advanced driving lark, and all the perception and sensitivity that attends it, mystifies me more with every day that passes. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gareth » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:59 pm

TripleS wrote:This advanced driving lark, ...

Oh, perhaps I shouldn't have posted. Wasn't thinking it was 'advanced driving'; just having a bit of fun behind the wheel!
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Gareth wrote:
TripleS wrote:This advanced driving lark, ...

Oh, perhaps I shouldn't have posted. Wasn't thinking it was 'advanced driving'; just having a bit of fun behind the wheel!

Oh, sorry, Gareth: I had not intended to cause offence. :oops: BTW, what exactly is 'fun behind the wheel'? :?

The thing is though, the vast majority of normal drivers will not (IMHO) understand your references to car balance and that kind of stuff, maybe because, maybe like me, they are simply not focussed and sensitive enough to feel and understand what's happening with their vehicles in different situations. This is a funny business and in all honesty I'm not sure where I am with all of it.

However it came about, I do feel that I'm better placed than the average driver to recognise what can and what can not be safely be done with cars, and on that basis I feel reasonably sure that I'm not going to come seriously unstuck. In my own case I put this down to long experience, and a decent level of awareness and prudence, but I make no claims that the result is particularly commendable, and it certainly doesn't amount to claiming a high level of expertise that might be recognised by an advanced driving assessor. I quite quickly gave up on that one! :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gareth » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:06 pm

TripleS wrote:what exactly is 'fun behind the wheel'? :?

I sometimes wonder but, don't worry, I'm sure it'll soon be outlawed :cry:
Gareth

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 pm

TripleS wrote:
However it came about, I do feel that I'm better placed than the average driver to recognise what can and what can not be safely be done with cars, and on that basis I feel reasonably sure that I'm not going to come seriously unstuck. In my own case I put this down to long experience, and a decent level of awareness and prudence, but I make no claims that the result is particularly commendable, and it certainly doesn't amount to claiming a high level of expertise that might be recognised by an advanced driving assessor. I quite quickly gave up on that one! :roll: .

Nice to realise I am not alone :D
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby jamei » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:53 pm

Gareth wrote:On motorways and some dual carriageways I like the different challenges it presents, especially for changing lanes to pass slower traffic while keeping it enabled :D This would be generally when I pick a speed that is only slightly faster than the heavies; when going quicker, in slippery conditions or when there may be standing water it is disengaged.

I've never had a car with cruise control, so I'm wondering, when you slowly go past those heavies with cruise control set, is your foot covering the brake, or the gas pedal?
jamei

Postby Gareth » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:37 pm

jamei wrote:I've never had a car with cruise control, so I'm wondering, when you slowly go past those heavies with cruise control set, is your foot covering the brake, or the gas pedal?

I don't go past too slowly ... if the speed differential is very small I will accelerate slightly to go past then lift off, and CC takes over again - this particular CC only disengages if I increase the speed significantly, use the brakes or clutch. As I go past my left thumb will be touching the horn.

If the heavy is lhd I'll take more care going past, typically giving greater lateral separation and/or going past more quickly.
Gareth

Return to Advanced Driving Forum