Constantly correcting road positioning

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby john493 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:01 pm

One of my associates has difficulty maintaining a consistent position in her lane, she is constantly making small but , to me, noticable, corrections to her position. This is worse in the dark but also noticable in daylight.

I'm working at getting her to relax a bit while maintaining concentration, extend her view and to use mirrors to confirm she is in the right position in her lane, but any thoughts or other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

John :D
john493

Postby Astraist » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:25 pm

The problem you mention is a result of short-range planning or absence of planning. Instead of trying to use the mirrors as a method of resolving this problem, use the forward vision. Getting your associate to look further ahead down the road, visualize the desired route towards that said point of focus down the road, using the peripheral vision to monitor the mid-range, and fimilairizing her with the size of her vehicle, will reduce or eliminate the problem.
Astraist

Postby fungus » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:09 pm

I would agree with Astraist on this. It is a common problem with learners in their early stages that they do not look far enough ahead, due mainly to a fear that they might miss something close to.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Custom24 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Could it be that it is the car's fault rather than the associate's? My Honda Civic steers poorly in a straight line, such that I need to regularly correct it, with over-correction being the likely outcome, needing another correction further down the lane, and so on. The castor is set up correctly, so that's not the problem. I've accepted that it's probably due to a poorly implemented electric power steering system on that car, and it doesn't bother me all that much (I drive my MX5 when I want to enjoy steering properly).

However, a co-driver (who I very much respect) did not believe me and mis-diagnosed the problem as my driving, until he drove the car for himself.

Just a possibility.
Custom24

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:56 pm

Some people (including other drivers I very much respect for their overall ability) have a natural tendency to saw at the steering. It seems totally subconscious. When pointed out to them, they can curb it for a few minutes but it always returns. It may be one of those things that is not easily rectified.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Astraist » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:51 pm

I would treat this illness by having the other driver cruise down an open road while holding a small pen just under their wrist, so that any subconcious nimbling at the wheel would result in a concious contact with the pen, while not disturbing the driver's ability to steer freely. You can be surprised by what this sawing can do to the steering mechanism, fluid, linkages and tires over time! (other than being a serious waste of energy)

It is possible that a mechanical problem contributes it's share to the straight-line stability problem. Any and all parts of the steering and suspension mechanisms, as well as the tires themselves (and the air pressure) can effect this. Another last variant is biomechanic: A poor driving posture, including hand positions and shoulder positions, can result in poor steering control or muscle strain (normally from isometric tension) which rumbles the wheel.
Astraist

Postby crr003 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:11 am

Astraist wrote:I would treat this illness ........

:shock:
I'm not sure it can be classed as an "illness"!
crr003

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Have to agree that looking further ahead can help, bit like walking over a narrow beam, look down you fall off, look ahead and you (should) find it easier.

Also check the tyres though, cheaper tyres tend to wander very easily and follow every little change in road surface, low pressure can produce the same affect as well.

I have to admit that I can be guilty of letting the car find its own route sometimes rather than constantly correcting it (yes I have cheap tyres on my car at the moment!), as long as the car is not veering from side to side it does not worry me and I doubt if my passengers would notice it to be honest.

Of course the real problem these days is avoiding all the potholes :evil:

Merry Christmas all :D
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby john493 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks for all replies - extending her view was already the area for work, you've confirmed my approach.

Nothing wrong with the car - well at least there are no problems when I'm driving it myself.

Happy Christmas all :)
john493

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Echoing earlier replies, but perhaps expanding.

Looking for a 'why?' to lead to a solution:

1. Awareness of the size if the car? Could lead to hesitation, reticence - or even fear over positioning

2.Machine control; poor awareness of car self-centring steering, so feeling of need to consciously steer; 'death grip' on the wheel; steering for 'now' rather than where the car will be by the time the correction happens;

3. Poor planning of where to be.

So:

1. Learn the size of the vehicle, perhaps use cardboard boxes in a car park for steering accuracy. Feel the surface through the tyres to establish position eg drain covers

2. Various! Go play in an open area like and empty car park (bigger the better!)

3. Obs & planning, with understanding, early as possible. Try here (m/c related, but many work for cars too):
http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/p/diy ... ining.html
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:05 pm

I still have the same difficulty: I'm very conscious of it, and although I don't think it is enough of a problem to make me particularly concerned by it, it doesn't give quite as nice a result as I would like. Except where there is some reason to depart from it, I would like to be able to maintain a more consistent position within the marked lane.

Something I often notice and admire on TV "Traffic Cops" type programmes, is when we have views from the forward facing video camera, and the police car is proceeding along the road keeping a consistent distance from the edge of the lane. It all looks so smooth and steady and reassuring.

Is this something that is specifically taught and practised in police advanced driver training?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby 7db » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:44 am

I find that position follows correct use of vision: if you are looking in the right place then position will move naturally to extend that view. If the associate is focusing on position, and correcting it, I think that this might be issue.

Might give you something different to focus her on?
7db

Postby Astraist » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:24 pm

What about constantly 'correcting' the speed? Have anyone else encountered drivers with a problem in maintaining a steady speed (as far as drops and increases of up to 7-8mph) down a motorway/dual carriageway?
Astraist

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:46 pm

Astraist wrote:What about constantly 'correcting' the speed? Have anyone else encountered drivers with a problem in maintaining a steady speed (as far as drops and increases of up to 7-8mph) down a motorway/dual carriageway?

Yes, I'm afraid I do that too; but if it is not causing inconvenience to others, I don't think it matters too much. I once talked to somebody who said that on motorways he always drove at 75 mph - up hill and down hill, it made no difference - and that seemed unnatural to me.

....obviously he was talking about pre-NSL days. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Astraist » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Of course it's not natural to maintain a set speed like a human cruise control, but changes of speed at about 8 mph are something to take in mind. I've noticed it amongst some drivers, and I believe it is correlated with hyperactivity. I'm currently seeking for ways to treat it. Any ideas?
Astraist

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum