Constantly correcting road positioning

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Astraist wrote:Of course it's not natural to maintain a set speed like a human cruise control, but changes of speed at about 8 mph are something to take in mind. I've noticed it amongst some drivers, and I believe it is correlated with hyperactivity. I'm currently seeking for ways to treat it. Any ideas?

I don't think it is hyperactivity in my case, so I don't expect to be an early client for you. You're going to have to make your fortune elsewhere, I guess......you might try something related to advanced driving. Is that something you know about? :P

Anyhow, my natural style is more along the lines of laid back and lazy......which no doubt creates its own problems. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:21 pm

john493 wrote:One of my associates has difficulty maintaining a consistent position in her lane, she is constantly making small but , to me, noticable, corrections to her position. This is worse in the dark but also noticable in daylight.

I'm working at getting her to relax a bit while maintaining concentration, extend her view and to use mirrors to confirm she is in the right position in her lane, but any thoughts or other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

John :D

Eyesight?, when I was an IAM Observer I always made a point of asking Associates when they last had their eyesight tested, whether they wore glasses or not. I did this, of course, in a tactful manner. I also, whatever time of year had some runs in the dark, although you have covered that and commented.
Then there's the standard stuff about relaxing and having a light grip on the steering wheel, although, what car is she driving and on what tyres? I say this because some cars and some tyres can need more positive input to maintain a constant position.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TripleS » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:10 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:....some cars and some tyres can need more positive input to maintain a constant position.

Yes, I have certainly found that to be the case.

Some cars are pretty good for running straight and true, which is very pleasant, whereas others seem to need frequent small corrections to maintain a steady course. The latter can become quite tiring, not so much in physical terms, but maybe at the subconscious level: I don't know about that, it's just a thought.

Another aspect may be that some cars are more prone to being deflected off the desired course by windy conditions and they can be very tiresome to drive, especially at higher speeds.

It is quite right to look at what the driver is doing, but the car might be part of the problem.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Ancient » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:58 am

Astraist wrote:Of course it's not natural to maintain a set speed like a human cruise control, but changes of speed at about 8 mph are something to take in mind. I've noticed it amongst some drivers, and I believe it is correlated with hyperactivity. I'm currently seeking for ways to treat it. Any ideas?

I have noticed this with a lot of drivers (although I am not training them, so I notice when these drivers cause problems for me). Typically noticeable is when they overtake in moving streams of traffic, at over 80 mph, then lose concentration and start to slow just in front of me, in the overtaking lane... no problem so far, until either:
1. I am approaching a slower vehicle in my lane; I have to slow down to drop further behind the vehicle that slowed in the overtaking lane, in order to make my overtake (usually ending up much slower than my cruising speed and overtaking both vehicles to get back up to cruising).
2. They slow, in the overtaking lane to less than my cruising speed. Again I have to slow right down (no overtaking on the inside here), plan and execute an otherwise unnecessary overtake of them (when they usually wake up and try to race me).
I don't think it is hyperactivity, simply an imability to concentrate on the job in hand (driving) for any extended period of time.
Ancient

Postby SeanP » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:28 am

Astraist wrote:What about constantly 'correcting' the speed? Have anyone else encountered drivers with a problem in maintaining a steady speed (as far as drops and increases of up to 7-8mph) down a motorway/dual carriageway?

Yes, I have a very good friend who does this - constantly on and off the accelerator - and not smoothly either, and she is "scared" to go above 40MPH even on good, wide National roads (where it would be perfectly safe).
Long-term Roadcraft addict :) IAM (3/2009), RoSPA Gold (3/2010)
Mazda RX-8 R3. (Gone but not forgotten: Mazda RX-8 231PS, RIP 28/08/2009).
RX8 Owners Club, Youtube track-day vids
SeanP

Postby Astraist » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:53 pm

The steadier tires are those that have "ribs" in the center of the tread. Assymetric tires are also steady in the wet, given that they are installed properly. New tires are also less "stable" than tires that already passed a few thousands of miles.

During these miles, not only is the sylicon layer worn off, but the shape of the tire changes slightly and the wires of the steel belt get distorted slightly towards the direction of travel, reducing rolling ressistance, which is also why you are not supposed to turn them against the direction of travel when rotating them.

The car itself contributes to stability mainly through it's steering angles (Camber, Castor and Toe), combined with the stiffness of the suspension and chassis.
Astraist

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum