Mirror check - more frequent when wet?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby MGF » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:49 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Have to agree with W.G I have in the past found myself stopping to allow emergency vehicles past only to be overtaken by several cars from behind who have yet to clock what is coming up behind them :!:

The drivers may have seen what was coming but decided that your choice of place to stop was not the most appropriate for them.
MGF

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:52 pm

MGF wrote:
The drivers may have seen what was coming but decided that your choice of place to stop was not the most appropriate for them.

Outrageous suggestion :evil:
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby martine » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Or more likely Ivor was right in his first assumption.

Most drivers have very poor awareness of what's behind in my experience.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Thankyou Sir!!

What most people need to remember is that I live and drive in Scotland, we do not have to find a "suitable" place to stop, we merely slow and pull over to one side of our very empty roads and the emergency vehicle whistles down the centre of the road, very rarely do we have to actually stop to allow them through.

Like I said, some people have no idea what is behind them :D
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby michael769 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:34 pm

MGF wrote:
IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Have to agree with W.G I have in the past found myself stopping to allow emergency vehicles past only to be overtaken by several cars from behind who have yet to clock what is coming up behind them :!:

Recently I was following a car when an ambulance came up behind us. The car in front pulled into a junction to make space, unfortunately they failed to pull far enough forwards to leave space for me to follow his example (which he could have done had he planned his move out). The presence of parked cars left me with no alternative but to continue on past until I found a safe opportunity to make space for it to pass.

I'm sure the chappie felt I was a right ****, but I was not that impressed about his move either.

This was in Scotland too.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:08 pm

I was caught out the other day, when someone in front of me dived into a layby. Poor observation on my part as an ambulance duly appeared in the mirror. I continued to the next bus stop, which wasn't very far, trying not to hold them up unnecessarily...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Yes even the best drivers get surprised sometimes (and you :wink: )
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum