Fitness to drive

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby WS » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi

I find it hard to understand fully what determines whether I am "fit to drive". By "fit to drive" I understand general mental ability, level of concentration that I can achieve, etc. Sometimes, even when I slept well and there are no other obvious reasons for me to be "unfit to drive" I find that my ability to drive is poor. For no apparent reason I make more mistakes, my observation is worse than usual, I am not as smooth as I can usually be, etc.

Do you have any suggestions from your own experience what influences one's fitness to drive, positively or negatively? Are there techniques to improve one's concentration level temporarily when one feels that their ability to drive is poor on this given day?
Regards from Poland
Wojtek
WS

Postby martine » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Good question.

For me tiredness or a worry or some sort affect my concentration which in turn affects my driving. I think if you are aware of not being on top form for whatever reason, then you have two choices: compensate by perhaps doing a commentary (even if unspoken) or create bigger safety margins by opening up larger gaps, going slower, taking more breaks etc. (or both).

I think the real danger is if you are unware!

I remember driving in the few days after my mum died suddenly...to be honest I should have avoided driving - not that I was really dangerous but certainly far from top form - but of course it's very difficult when I needed be travelling around between home and my relations etc.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Slink_Pink » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:51 am

For me, there are a couple of key indicators:
1. I struggle to maintain a constant speed (fortunately I tend to slow rather than accelerate)
2. I can't remember the last couple of miles of road

Definitely a commentary is ideal for forcing/focusing your attention.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby jcochrane » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:04 am

A stop for a few minutes meditation will do wonders to re-energise and to refocus the mind.

Caffeine drinks or pro plus also help with tiredness.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Flexibase » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Commentary!
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby jcochrane » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Flexibase wrote:Commentary!

A commentary always distracts from my full concentration on my driving. Something I've observed in others on giving a commentary. For this reason I would try something else rather than possibly worsening the situation.
jcochrane

Postby madmoggy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:31 pm

jcochrane wrote:A commentary always distracts my full concentration on my driving. Something I've observed in others on giving a commentary. For this reason I would try something other than commentary.

I agree. I've recently had a period of not being able to focus/concentrate fully for long periods, I am still preparing to resit IAM special assessment and as soon as I was asked to do commentary my driving suffered noticeably. When I was told I could concentrate on just driving then I came back up to standard fairly quickly.
I noticed this lapse of concentration first in other things, not driving, which made me particularly aware to watch for it when driving. If I do notice it, I tend to slow down and leave bigger reaction spaces where possible.
madmoggy

Postby Flexibase » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:23 pm

I have noticed that newcomers to commentary often suffer with a drop in others skills, sometimes with a drop in speed, but most improve with practice, so that is my advice to most.
I have only advised two Associates amongst the 90 candidates I have worked with not to do a commentary on test, because of their lack of ability to commentate, although I have advised a few others not to take the test for other reasons!
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby jcochrane » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Certainly would agree that lots of practice brings improvements but I have noticed that even amongst advanced police drivers some drop in overall performance may be detected as the commentary is introduced. Much harder to spot when done by an advanced police instructor as might be expected as they are likely to be more practiced in giving a commentary.

What I have also noticed is the the longer the commentary lasts the more likely for the commentary/driving to deteriate. Probably due to it being difficult/tiring to maintain the concentration on both the driving and the commentary at the same time. So I'm still not persuaded that it is the best option particularly if already getting tired whilst driving. Short term maybe just to get you off a motorway or find a lay by for a break.
jcochrane

Postby brianhaddon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:09 pm

jcochrane wrote: Probably due to it being difficult/tiring to maintain the concentration on both the driving and the commentary at the same time. So I'm still not persuaded that it is the best option if getting tired whilst driving.

Actually you may have a point. I had always felt that if my concentration was lapsing a commentary would help bring it back. And I am a fan of commentary and always like to hear one when being driven in what I will call 'non-domestic mode'. However I also notice there are times when I am 'too tired' to perform commentary so I try to maintain concentration by other means. These are the times that I feel most vulnerable.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby fungus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:22 pm

I find that commentary is a great help personally, although when I first had to do commentary when doing my ADI training, my driving went to pieces.

It is common for a drivers performance to deteriorate when they first try commentary, but with practice it does improve. Occasionally one comes across someone who is a natural. I remember a pupil about five years ago whos concentration was poor. In desperation I asked her to do a commentary after I'd given her a demonstration. To my amazement she not only managed it, but her driving actually improved.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby WS » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 pm

brianhaddon wrote: However I also notice there are times when I am 'too tired' to perform commentary so I try to maintain concentration by other means.

What other means do you use?

I have tried using commentary. Still, I find it useful in bringing me to a reasonable level of concentration only when I feel sleepy early in the morning. Certainly it does not work when I feel tired. It actually makes things worse for me so I agree with jcochrane here.

Caffeine does not work for me either - I will not fall asleep after drinking a a cup of tea, but it does not help me improve my concentration. In my opinion caffeine creates only an illusion of being more fit to drive.

Jcochrane: I will try out meditation though :lol:

I agree with what Martine said about leaving larger safety margins. However, sometimes it is not a practical option. When driving is your job (which is the case with me) you should always be reasonably fit to drive.
Regards from Poland
Wojtek
WS

Postby brianhaddon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:43 pm

WS wrote:
brianhaddon wrote: However I also notice there are times when I am 'too tired' to perform commentary so I try to maintain concentration by other means.

What other means do you use?

It depends. First this is only when I am driving by myself. I do not give commentary with family or friends in the car and if I feel too tired in that situation I swop with another driver. If I drive with others where I know a commentary is required I ensure I am fit and prepared. This is when I am by myself, perhaps driving to work early in the morning or after (or during) a long drive home. So first despite being quite a relaxed driver - I relax and keep completely silent. And by that I don't mean switch off and drift away. I mean take control and lay a baseline. Then I force myself to look for where danger is coming from and state it in my head. From that I guess I develop a concentration pattern and so work myself through the tiredness. Other things such as longer gaps I agree with but I believe our baseline driving makes these kinds of allowances anyway. I also use things like cold air into the cockpit for a while - but too much soon becomes detrimental. However if I really struggle then I stop at the earliest safe opportunity.
As an aside many say that commentary takes their concentration away from the driving. For me it has the opposite effect. To commentate I focus more and plan more, the commentary merely becomes stating out loud what's going on in my head. I don't think of what to say I say what I am thinking.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby Gareth » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:25 pm

brianhaddon wrote:Then I force myself to look for where danger is coming from and state it in my head.

If I'm very tired but still able to drive, I call out important things that I need to deal with - seen or unseen. It's not a commentary in any commonly meant sense, just that if I say something out loud it's harder to disregard it in my driving.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jcochrane » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:20 am

Gareth wrote:
brianhaddon wrote:Then I force myself to look for where danger is coming from and state it in my head.

If I'm very tired but still able to drive, I call out important things that I need to deal with - seen or unseen. It's not a commentary in any commonly meant sense, just that if I say something out loud it's harder to disregard it in my driving.

I would also agree that verbal/mental reinforcement statements can help.
jcochrane

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum