ROUNDABOUT DISCIPLINE

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gareth » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:16 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:my observation of the seperating lines at the approach roads on r/bout in question?

I took another look and decided that the left lanes are pointed directly at the outer lane on the roundabout in each case, and therefore the idea of the lane separation on approach is probably designed to encourage vehicles in lane 2 on approach to go directly into the inner lane on the roundabout.

I didn't feel the need to explain this as I thought it was reasonably evident after a close examination.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby gannet » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 pm

fungus wrote:
ROG wrote:We mention cars but think about large vehicles where many would use the left lane to go right

Also cyclists, and on some roundabouts horse riders also would be using the left lane to turn right. And on this roundabout I have seen a horse & trap right turn from the left lane of the A348 D/C.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=50.769495,-1 ... 1&t=h&z=19

why on earth would cyclists want to do that - turn right from the left lane :o

If they ain't confident enough to go around in the right hand lane to turn right... get off and walk around. Motor vehicle drivers have difficulty enough seeing cyclists when using the 'correct' lanes. I personally driving or riding (push bike) would take the roundabout to turn right as the OP describes from the right hand lane. On the bike I would also be in the middle of the lane to maximise my options should someone try to cut me up. Oh and I wouldn't be hanging around either :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby fungus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:48 pm

gannet wrote:why on earth would cyclists want to do that - turn right from the left lane

I believe that the Highway Code advises drivers that cyclists and horse riders might go around the outside to turn right.
I believe that it also advises cyclists and horse riders that when doing this to signal right at every exit where they are continuing around the roundabout. It also advises that they might feel safer getting off and pushing their bicycle around. I agree that a cyclist who is capable of maintaining a reasonable speed is more likely to take the same course as motorised vehicles, but others may feel happier doing otherwise.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Kevin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:24 pm

From Roadcraft:

Always make sure the meaning of your signal is clear. Sometimes a signal is not in itself enough to make your intentions clear and other road users may use your position and speed to interpret what your signals mean. When negotiating a roundabout, for example, your signals can be misinterpreted if you have not taken up the correct position for your intended exit.

Discuss :)
Kevin

Postby fungus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Kevin wrote:From Roadcraft:

Always make sure the meaning of your signal is clear. Sometimes a signal is not in itself enough to make your intentions clear and other road users may use your position and speed to interpret what your signals mean. When negotiating a roundabout, for example, your signals can be misinterpreted if you have not taken up the correct position for your intended exit.

Discuss :)

I would agree with that.

When assessing what another driver/road user intends, you would look for more than a direction indicator signal. I would be also assessing position and speed to see if they correspond to the signal given.
An incorrect signal is worse than no signal at all. Drivers, particularly inexperienced ones, will often act on a signal even if speed and position are not correct, but most drivers will question where a driver who is not signaling is going.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby renaultclio_2012 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:43 pm

I had a crash on a roundabout on tuesday....

Does anyone here know if it's legal to put a reflective strip on the side of your car door? (where the door protectors are)

renaultclio_2012
renaultclio_2012

Postby kfae8959 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you've had a crash, and I hope you're OK. I'm afraid I can't answer the question about reflective strips on the doors; my car has side reflectors, but they're only a few inches long.

Someone who does know will be along in a minute, though. Do I infer correctly that you think the crash might not have happened if you'd been more visible side-on?

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby renaultclio_2012 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:14 pm

kfae8959 wrote:Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you've had a crash, and I hope you're OK. I'm afraid I can't answer the question about reflective strips on the doors; my car has side reflectors, but they're only a few inches long.

Someone who does know will be along in a minute, though. Do I infer correctly that you think the crash might not have happened if you'd been more visible side-on?

David

Thank-you for the welcome to the forum. Yes i'm ok thanks, my poor clio isn't - currently at the garage.
I was hit on my drivers side, just think it would be better to have a reflective strip (that's if it's legal).

My father bought me an IAM Membership - Skills for life at Christmas...can't wait to use it now! (He has been an IAM member for a long time).

renaultclio_2012
renaultclio_2012

Postby Kevin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:47 pm

renaultclio_2012 wrote:I had a crash on a roundabout on tuesday....

Does anyone here know if it's legal to put a reflective strip on the side of your car door? (where the door protectors are)

renaultclio_2012

You can have amber reflective strips at the side. What is permissible is set out in Regulation 20 of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989. Link below for your added enjoyment! :)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/20/made
Kevin

Postby ROG » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:38 am

THIS LARGE OPEN ROUNDABOUT A46/A50 is designed to have many 2 laned approaches and 2 laned exits and works very well
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum