ROUNDABOUT DISCIPLINE

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi guys, have just looked at the link to the r/bout under discussion and methinks you have all missed something.

The road in (O,P's ROAD) seems to have a dividing marking at the r/bout which to me would indicate that traffic is being "pointed" into the correct lane ie, left lane seems to be aimed at left turn only. maybe straight on at a push, while the right lane seems to be "pointed" towards straight on or right and is certainly the way I would use the r/bout.
Similarly the road from the right of picture has markings to indicate that traffic is being "pointed" towards using the right lane for right turn only, and the left lane for straight on or left.

To my (unadvanced) eyes it seems obvious that a right turn from the (O,P) direction is discouraged for whatever reason, however the lack of road makings to back this up does seem unusual and of course I could be wrong.

Whose at fault if a collision occurs on exit?....whoever is not using correct observation regardless of "correct" lane
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Forgot to mention...zoom in, is that Mr CW in his 928 going round the r/bout?
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby GJD » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:27 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Forgot to mention...zoom in, is that Mr CW in his 928 going round the r/bout?

Good spot Ivor. It could just be... :)
GJD

Postby MrToad » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:...most times I let it go...

It wasn't specifically aimed at you Nick, honest.

My point is more that the focus of attention here is unhelpful. So what if the other driver is in the wrong? It's up to us as drivers to anticipate the mistakes others make and not put ourselves in a position where they create a problem for us.

There are occasional threads here (and daily ones over on PH) about this, and it will never change - the only solution is to find a way to drive around the inadequacies of others.

The six-point plan (that I just made up, whilst acknowledging the influences of Stressed Dave, 7db and others) provides a way to get through roundabouts in a safer and possibly quicker way than most.

On that subject: OP - why aim for lane one of the exit? Without knowing the specific area, it's generally the case that lane two offers more potential for progress and with fewer lane-change risks.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:33 pm

The guy who drove his Merc at me hadn't made a mistake, he knew full well what he was doing. It was a (rather serious) game of chicken. 100s of others do the same every evening. It's a badly designed lane system, but there's no excuse for their behaviour.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby MGF » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:48 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Forgot to mention...zoom in, is that Mr CW in his 928 going round the r/bout?

Does he look annoyed? :)
MGF

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:04 pm

No, if you could see inside the helmet you'd see a large grin :D
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:09 pm

[quote="MrToad"]Uncle Tony's six-point plan for roundabout success (works every time !).

I reckon you'll be selling the book of the same at the back of the tabloids soon...you know the half-page ads that declare it's changed someone's life and is on special offer if you buy 2 or more....100% guaranteed.

Mr C-W: I sympathise...I'm pretty cool these days but every so often someone gets to me - I think I'm very tolerant of what I percieve as a genuine mistake or uncertainty by other drivers. What sometimes (rarely actually) winds me up are the deliberately aggressive drivers.

Do you reckon the roundabout in Swindon would be better served by a traffic light controlled junction?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby gannet » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 pm

martine wrote:
Do you reckon the roundabout in Swindon would be better served by a traffic light controlled junction?

If I understand correctly the roundabout he mentions is already traffic light controlled - or was at some point...

edit - ignore me, I was thinking of J15 :oops:
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 pm

It is traffic light controlled. More lights than you can shake a stick at. When the lights turn green on the Swindon side heading South, a race ensues onto the roundabout between those legitimately in the centre lane, and wishing to continue to be, and those in the left hand lane, who want to drift over to the centre (and often to the right, to go West towards Bristol).
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby apple tango » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 am

ROG wrote:Where does it state that where a dual or two lanes enter and exit a roundabout then both cannot be used unless of course markings dictate otherwise :?:

It depends if you are talking about what is legal vs what is the advice in the highway code. You can use any lane you wish in law but that does not mean it would be appropriate to do so. If you do not follow the advice in the highway code then it may be considered careless depending on the circumstances.

If you are referring to the highway code then I would like to know why you think you may turn right from the left lane. It is quite clear on the subject and makes no reference to the number of lanes on entry or exit.

Highway code - 186:
When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

I am curious to know - if you think it is appropriate to go right from the left lane at this junction, would you consider going left from the right lane? If not, why not? There are two lanes on that exit too. I am interested to know why you consider one acceptable and the other not.
Alex
apple tango

Postby ROG » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:17 pm

apple tango wrote:I am curious to know - if you think it is appropriate to go right from the left lane at this junction, would you consider going left from the right lane? If not, why not? There are two lanes on that exit too. I am interested to know why you consider one acceptable and the other not.

Doing the second would be deliberately going across another path by crossing lanes

We mention cars but think about large vehicles where many would use the left lane to go right

As long as intentions are made clear and no-one deliberately crosses the path of another too closely, any change of lane is done correctly, then there should not be a problem
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby YorkshireJumbo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:40 pm

ROG wrote:
apple tango wrote:I am curious to know - if you think it is appropriate to go right from the left lane at this junction, would you consider going left from the right lane? If not, why not? There are two lanes on that exit too. I am interested to know why you consider one acceptable and the other not.

Doing the second would be deliberately going across another path by crossing lanes

We mention cars but think about large vehicles where many would use the left lane to go right

As long as intentions are made clear and no-one deliberately crosses the path of another too closely, any change of lane is done correctly, then there should not be a problem

Surely by turning right from the left lane, you cross the path of those going straight on in the right lane. Why is it OK to cross their path left to right but not to cross right to left?
You may have speed, but I have momentum
YorkshireJumbo

Postby fungus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:01 pm

ROG wrote:We mention cars but think about large vehicles where many would use the left lane to go right

Also cyclists, and on some roundabouts horse riders also would be using the left lane to turn right. And on this roundabout I have seen a horse & trap right turn from the left lane of the A348 D/C.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=50.769495,-1 ... 1&t=h&z=19
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Ok guys, I do not easily get offended but why are you all ignoring my observation of the seperating lines at the approach roads on r/bout in question?

Not easily offended but now stomping (quietly) out of the room :D

If you are turning right from the left lane you only cut someone up if they are going straight on,if however they are also turning right you could in theory simply follow them (alongside) and then you both exit in the two correct lanes, no hassle.

Would I ? probably and on this r/bout definately not.
IVORTHE DRIVER

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum