HPC silver and gold

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Russ_H » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Well, it's very quiet on here at the moment, so , as a subject for debate, I suggest HPC silver and gold drivers. If any ADUK members have reached such exalted levels, would you be willing to describe your experiences? What did you need to do? How did you prepare?
Russ_H

Postby jcochrane » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:18 pm

The best place to start is the High Performance Club website. This should give you the general idea. At the moment what used to be Silver is now to be called Night Drive and a new driving standard is presently being written to fall between Entry and Gold (but closer to Gold than Entry) and this will be the new Silver standard.

A major part of the ethos of the club is commitment to self improvement. Driving with other members and seeking professional advice is part of that. I don't think members tend to think in terms of training to achieve a standard but rather a standard happens to be reached through the commitment to self improvement. This is an ongoing process throughout your driving life with the club. For me the standards are indicators to help measure progress.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Russ_H » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks for your post. I thought that it might have started a debate, but it hasn't.
Shall we discuss BGOL instead?
Russ_H

Postby martine » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Russ_H wrote:Thanks for your post. I thought that it might have started a debate, but it hasn't.
Shall we discuss BGOL instead?

:lol:
I know there are several HPC members here - perhaps they are being a little shy/modest...come on guys and gals she OP asked for your experiences of doing Silver/Gold...what's it like?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jont » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 pm

martine wrote:I know there are several HPC members here - perhaps they are being a little shy/modest...come on guys and gals she OP asked for your experiences of doing Silver/Gold...what's it like?

What sort of things would you expect one to post to add to what John has said? I'm not sure what debate there is to be had unless someone tries to bring it back to a (mis)comparison of civilian vs police driving standards.

Much like preparing for an IAM or any other test, one might assume preparation could involve a reasonable amount of driving with others who have already attained the standard followed by presenting yourself to an appropriate assessor to see if the required standard has been reached.
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:36 pm

It's harder than HPC entry standard. Significantly harder.

Does this help?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jcochrane » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:53 pm

martine wrote:I know there are several HPC members here - perhaps they are being a little shy/modest...come on guys and gals she OP asked for your experiences of doing Silver/Gold...what's it like?

It's a whole days drive to a high standard thus demanding on concentration but still fun. Even if assessed as Gold there will still be areas pointed out for further development. :)

As it is an assessment of your driving to date you drive as you would normally drive. I'm not sure what more to add to what already has been said. Maybe the OP has some specific question about the assessment?
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Russ_H » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:45 pm

jcochrane wrote:
martine wrote:Maybe the OP has some specific question about the assessment?

No, I don't have any specific question I'd like to pose; I just thought that a useful discussion might spring from my post. My main hobby is diving (the underwater kind) and it is quite common for people to post a report of a course they've attended, or a trip they've been on. The report, and the ensuing discussion, can often be very instructive. Here is an example:

http://coldwaterkitty.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/cave-2-report.html
Russ_H

Postby waremark » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:57 am

Although the club is a private members club, it has published a definition of its Gold standard which is accessible to non-members on the club website (the Silver referred to in that document is no longer called Silver). The definition of the Gold standard starts on page 31 of the published electronic format - and people may find it interesting to read. It sounds so demanding that it makes me wonder how any of us can achieve it!

As has been mentioned, a Gold award is not the result of a specific course, but is awarded as the result of a full-day demonstration of a very high standard of driving to one of the club's three 'gatekeepers' - the three coaches who offer courses via which it is possible to join the club.

By the time a member may be considering an assessment for a higher award, he/she will probably have spent a considerable time with these guys. A day with them is demanding, challenging, stimulating, and can be inspirational. I spent today with Andy Morrison. His demo drive was sublime, his input to my driving insightful and helpful.

Delivering a Gold drive is about the standard of the drive, rather than about specific techniques mastered or demonstrated. Gold members are probably all able to deliver a strict IAM or Rospa drive to a high standard, but would not necessarily do so, as a wider range of techniques would be acceptable. The nearest I will come to provoking debate is to pick out one comment from the standard: 'The driver will display a mastery of Roadcraft ... whilst at the same time showing flexibility rather than an excess of rigidity.'
waremark

Postby MGF » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am

Does the flexibility extend to the law? 8)
MGF

Postby Octy_Ross » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:11 am

I've never written about my path through to HPC membership. I haven't attained, nor am I likley to any of the 'extras'. I just don't have the time to go doing that.

As a diver, I've never written about any of the training or quals I've achieved either.

For me, these things are personal, I find it quite hard to type up a report on them.
Octy_Ross

Postby martine » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:23 am

So...I don't think the OP was after anything controversial...I think the OP is interested to know about the day's assessment drive, what's it like, what roads, what were you expecting, what was surprising, what did you find esp. difficult.

Just an account of what it's like to do a higher level HPC award - nothing more.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 am

Hmmm, let's not forget that the OP is a (former?) DSA ADI examiner. I don't think it was quite as simple as that...

But basically, putting yourself in for the higher awards involves lots of practice with other club members, some reassurance from them that you are capable of the higher awards, time spent with (a) gatekeeper(s) improving areas that might detract from the standard aspired to, completion of the mandatory pre-requisites (documented on the club website, albeit slightly out of date now), and a full day's assessment (pre-declared as such, not just a coaching day with an award as a fringe benefit) to assess whether the standard was reached. So time, money, dedication to self-improvement over a (normally) lengthy period, and the ability to deliver under assessment conditions. One day ... :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby waremark » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:43 pm

MGF wrote:Does the flexibility extend to the law? 8)

From the club's road driving code (not externally published, and I am in no way speaking on behalf of the club, but I cannot believe it is a problem for me to repeat this):

"Basic Principles
• Safety is paramount. It is everyone's concern but your responsibility.
• The Club cannot and does not condone breaking the law in any way."

To answer another question, a very high proportion of a session with one of the club's gatekeepers would be on technical and demanding rural roads, subject to the NSL. Club members do relatively little urban driving with one another or with gatekeepers.

Actually, I think we have now answered the OP's questions fairly fully!

Those who receive higher awards always try to demonstrate that standard in drives with other members. Sometimes some of us fail to live up to it!
waremark

Postby Russ_H » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Hmmm, let's not forget that the OP is a (former?) DSA ADI examiner. I don't think it was quite as simple as that...

In fact, it was just as simple as that. I was an examiner, but I have retired. What motive, other than curiosity, could I possibly have for posting the question?
Russ_H

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum