'Drive like a Pro'

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby martine » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:18 pm

What do you think of this?

Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Custom24 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:05 am

Not bad
However, @ 2:08, "You realise you are approaching a corner too fast, what do you do"
Driving expert says later, as part of the same topic, "There is no way that you can brake in the corner" because of the tyre grip budget problem.

Sometimes you have to brake in a corner, for example a tightening radius bend which you couldn't or didn't predict. Also, sometimes if you realise you've gone in too quickly, the safest thing to do, if you realise early enough, is still to brake, before it gets any worse. Anyone driving on the public road at the limit of grip, with nothing in reserve for such occurrences, should not be driving, in my opinion.

Another example is downhill bends.

I think this hangup on never braking in a corner, as a policy preached like this, could get people killed.
Custom24

Postby ROG » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:03 am

I agree - its the way that braking is used in a corner if needed that is the key to safety
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Astraist » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Refraining from braking in a corner is pure nonesense. It can and will be necessary when the radius tightens or when the car understeers or when you lose it during oversteer. Having said that, the advice of straightening the wheel alltogether and brake hard - is reasonable and proper.

Declutching in all skidding situations is just as foolish. Declutching is good for conditions of extremly low grip, either on ice or during aquaplaning - which is what the SkidCar in the image is simulating (notice the tyres almost off of the pavement). When the grip levels are higher (even on snow) one should use the brakes or throttle to recover from the skid, rather than declutch and use the steering.

The main thing I take from this is the demonstration of the great treats of the SkidCar. The ability of this device to simulate lower and lower grip levels with little to no interference with the car's suspension and weight distribution - translates into a very effective means of training car control (provided the training is comprehensive and long enough - at least one hour on the device).
Astraist

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Simplistic.
zadocbrown

Return to Advanced Driving Forum