Any experiences of Clive Jones?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jont » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:30 pm

jameslb101 wrote:
fungus wrote:Your comment about only observing mid ground is something that is common to most drivers. In fact some don't even look that far ahead.

My observation has improved quite a bit since doing the IAM course, but I find I still see things (or at least react to them) far far earlier than the majority of drivers on the road. For example, say I'm on a dual carriageway, in lane one, coming to a set of traffic lights on red. I'll start braking only for someone to come past me in lane two then brake a few seconds later (but much 'harder', obviously).

Long range vision is something the Welsh roads are fantastic for. When you can get a distance view of maybe a mile+ and similar cross views it's very revealing whether you are making the most of it.

Round here the opportunities to do so are rather more limited.
jont

Postby martine » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:18 pm

jont wrote:Long range vision is something the Welsh roads are fantastic for. When you can get a distance view of maybe a mile+ and similar cross views it's very revealing whether you are making the most of it.

Round here the opportunities to do so are rather more limited.

Nice plug for the Brecon day next Saturday! Looking forward to the breakfast...ahem...driving!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Don't worry about the road signs etc. Clive has an extra pair of eyes for those - in addition to the third pair he uses for observing half a mile further ahead than you (the driver) are.

I'm glad you enjoyed the day, and also that you agree with the panel's recommendations of Clive.

Now you have to work, and then when you're ready, the full Clive-y-ness will be unleashed when you decide to go for a full day, or more. This was the taster :twisted:

You will find you have improved more than you know right now. The advice will keep coming back, at the right moment.

Good luck, keep practising, and never stop learning.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum