Stock commentary phases

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Russ_H » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:30 pm

I've just been looking through the list of stock commentary phrases that was posted by crr003. The thread can be found here:

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2921

Most of them are straightforward enough, but could anyone clarify these three:

1) "Taking a 50/50 position to split the danger." This is in a section headed positioning; it is not in the bend section. A less assertive position for a bend? Or possibly straddling two lanes to block out another road user?

2) “Roadworks, looking for ATS, stationary traffic and highway engineers!” What does ATS mean? I'd hazard a guess that TS is traffic signs.

3) “There’s a sterile area to the nearside of the one in front, moving into contact to encourage them over.” In this case, does sterile simply mean empty?
Russ_H

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:54 pm

1 - means taking a position half way between two hazards - most common example is a crossroads where you can't see into either arm so you take a position towards the centre of the road in case anything appears in the junctions.

2 - can't say - automatic traffic signals?

3 - must just mean empty - i.e. a landing spot.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby somewhatfoolish » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Stock commentrary phrases demonstrate why commentrary is so difficult for so many of us.

The very stupidest, or most annoying one, is "mirrors". Can say that one word every couple of seconds if you like!
somewhatfoolish

Postby Gareth » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:09 pm

1 - I think a more useful concept is to balance the danger - so that the danger is about the same on both sides - rather than being equi-distant between potential sources of danger, so that you might choose to be nearer to the side that presents lower risk.

3 - looking at the list crr003 posted I suspect a traffic cop has caught up with a member of the MLOC and is gently encouraging them to return to the correct position by making as if to nudge them out of the way.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Silk » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:48 pm

Gareth wrote:
3 - looking at the list crr003 posted I suspect a traffic cop has caught up with a member of the MLOC and is gently encouraging them to return to the correct position by making as if to nudge them out of the way.

The desired effect will depend on whether or not you're driving a marked police car.
Silk

Postby TripleS » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:57 pm

My most popular commentary phase (or phrase) is something along the lines of:

"Good grief, I'm surrounded by incompetent - not to say homicidal - idiots!"

....then I review my own performance, and shut up. :oops:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Return to Advanced Driving Forum