Moving back from lane 2 to lane 1

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Astraist » Wed May 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Indeed it's not plausible, but it happens (quite rarely, though) and I also think that it's a matter of driving with no care. Nevertheless, I always encourage drivers to drive in the speed of traffic, keep away from overtaking traffic (lateral margin) and apply observation to the back.
Astraist

Postby MGF » Wed May 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Is the problem here the fact that the driver of the lorry cannot see what is in the area around the corner of the cab which is opposite to him?

A friend of mine stopped at a roundabout in lane 2 and was pushed onto it by a lorry driver in lane one with left-hand drive.
MGF

Postby gannet » Wed May 02, 2012 6:34 pm

MGF wrote:Is the problem here the fact that the driver of the lorry cannot see what is in the area around the corner of the cab which is opposite to him?

A friend of mine stopped at a roundabout in lane 2 and was pushed onto it by a lorry driver in lane one with left-hand drive.

quite possibly - as a cyclist it is not a good idea to place oneself in this zone at traffic lights etc...

The area is actually rather larger than one might think :o
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Pontoneer » Fri May 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Could part of the problem be that the trucker will be watching in his mirror to ensure he is clear of any traffic behind in lane 1 , and therefore not paying sufficient attention to what is going on in front ?
Pontoneer

Postby Astraist » Fri May 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Not in the cases I investigated personally, there is usually some other kind of distraction involved. I have seen drivers, novice in particular, take lingering looks in the mirrors during lane changes, but has anyone seen a case of a collision caused by looking in the mirror?
Astraist

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum