Video - commentary drive in Mk2 Golf GTi

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby stefan einz » Sun May 06, 2012 8:49 pm

Today I took my lovely old Golf Mk2 GTi out for a run and recorded a commentary drive. I used a Video Vbox system with two cameras to give both a forward view and an in-car view.

These are similar roads to the ones that I used for the Club Sport video (which did not have a commentary). Unfortunately it was still wet!

I haven't done a commentary drive for ages, so would be interested in any improvement tips. I enjoyed the discipline it enforced on my drive, and I was pleased that it didn't impede my flow to any noticeable extent.

My own self-review of the material suggests that I could do a better job of explaining some of the techniques being used - I call them out, but I don't explain them, limiting the video's use as an instructional tool. My commentary could also be more precise - it lacks the finesse of the best police commentaries I have heard.

There are two videos. The first is five minutes and shows three sections, including driving off from cold. The second is longer but has some interesting hazards to deal with (a flooded road, for example).

It will probably be fairly obvious to anyone watching, but just in case it is not, please note that the Vbox for some reason was recording in km/h, so the speed counter (which says MPH) is actually reading km/h. When I am reading circa 60mph on the Golf's speedometer, the datalogger is showing just under 100km/h, which makes sense.

Cheers

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmNqkLSkuIY

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJGsfRAgg1o
stefan einz

Postby waremark » Sun May 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Exemplary.
waremark

Postby ROG » Mon May 07, 2012 8:59 am

stefan einz wrote:
Part 1

Part 2

NICE :D
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby fungus » Mon May 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Nice drive. Unfortunately, due to a hearing problem, I found that the noise of the car tended to drown out the commentary.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby DugS » Sat May 19, 2012 7:47 am

waremark wrote:Exemplary.

this.
1 years driving experience and 13 years of guessing....
DugS

Return to Advanced Driving Forum