Low flying LGVs?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby nigelc » Mon May 07, 2012 1:28 pm

I came across this stretch of road and tried to work out how to cover the 15m (ish) of 7.5T limit.

What happens if you're driving along here in a LGV and reach the restrictiction. A 3 point turn could be tricky. A James Bond style mod to fly the short distance may be the only answer.

What is the restriction for? The mind boggles.

(edited to make the url work)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
nigelc

Postby ROG » Mon May 07, 2012 6:53 pm

then the LGV was really dumb not to notice the SIGN before going down that road
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby nigelc » Mon May 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Good point but wouldn't it be more sensible to actually start the restriction at a junction or place of delivery rather than a random bit of the road?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
nigelc

Postby nigelc » Mon May 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Heading from the south the restriction is less well marked (edit actually it's ok looking at the main routes - I was going along lanes that no sane LGV driver would attempt) but if you were leaving Hill House Farm and turned left forgetting then there is no signage for about a mile until you hit this spot.
nigelc

Postby Standard Dave » Mon May 07, 2012 7:46 pm

A short section like that would be much easier to prosecute on as you can see the whole section and there is no question of where the offending 7.5+ vehicle came from.

There could be some other reason a weak pipe, underground subsidence, well etc at that point or access is required by farm machinary upto that point on the road. There are field access points either side of the restriction.
Standard Dave

Postby martine » Mon May 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Looks to me as if the edge of the road is breaking up...subsidence?
clicky
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Big Err » Tue May 08, 2012 10:31 am

It's an environmental weight restriction hence the reason it has a supplementary plate with except for access. Most commonly used in residential areas and town centres where you may wish to discourage heavy goods vehicles from using it as a through route.

Its positioning is quite strange though, maybe there is a weak structure and they've used the wrong signs?
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby michael769 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:28 pm

martine wrote:Looks to me as if the edge of the road is breaking up...subsidence?
clicky

It is quite common for the edge of a rural road to go first. Heavy vehicles sometimes have to put 2 wheels on the verge when they meet each other and this starts to break up the unsealed edge of the road - the ruts that form on the verge hold standing water that then percolates under the wear course allowing frost to rip it apart.

In this case though I suspect the culprit is tractors swinging out before turning into that gate on the right.

As for the restriction I can only presume it is an attempt to deter through HGV traffic, though why they did not apply it to the whole length is odd - I wonder if the council official had not fully grasped the meaning of "except for access"
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Return to Advanced Driving Forum