Other drivers attitudes to 'fast' cars

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gumby » Fri May 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Hello everyone,
First I should introduce myself as I'm new here...hello!
I've recently discovered this forum after it being mentioned by a couple of friends who are also on here.

I picked up my new Skoda Fabia vRS last week and I'm aboslutly loving it, especially the power available and the rate at which is accelerates (when safe to do so of course!)

Anyway, theres something I've noticed in the short time I've had it, and thats the attitude of other drivers when they are either overtaken (again, safely) or at junctions. Now, to be fair the colour scheme and DRL's do look intimidating and this, the fact it's a fast skoda or both, seem to make some drivers behave aggressively or perhaps even stupidly.
For example, other cars will try and 'race' when exiting a two lane roundabout, or block returning to lane 1 after overtaking. People are always trying to 'have a go'. :roll:

Is this something other people encounter? I don't think I'm being aggressive at all. As I say, I only every make use of the power when it's safe to do so and overtakes can be completed before the exit I want to take, and I always leave plenty space when moving back in. .

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Gumby

Postby 7db » Fri May 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Let them win.
7db

Postby dombooth » Fri May 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Thoughts are;
a) As above, let them win and don't retaliate.
b) When in a low powered car it's mainly BMWs, Audis and Mercs that are the bullys on the roads. :lol:

Oh, and welcome to here! :D

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby swatchways » Fri May 11, 2012 7:26 pm

dombooth wrote:b) When in a low powered car it's mainly BMWs, Audis and Mercs that are the bullys on the roads. :lol:

If I've got the OP correct it's not what I would call a low powered car... 180bhp?

I would think you're right in that it'll be the look of the car that makes people think either you'd be up for a race, or that they need to prove a point by overtaking you - as 7db has said the only answer is to let them get well away from you.

You can sometimes predict blockers I find - before you're even looking for the overtake they sort of 'clock' your car, and something in their behaviour shifts slightly. I always think that shift is where they decide you're not going to overtake them!
swatchways

Postby gannet » Fri May 11, 2012 7:38 pm

I agree with a couple of post's above - let em win - and make it obvious - ie go slow when they race you off...

I was once challenged to a 'race' in my old Z4, I politely declined as we were both in traffic me with cars in front, him without, absolutely silly...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby dombooth » Fri May 11, 2012 10:19 pm

swatchways wrote:
dombooth wrote:b) When in a low powered car it's mainly BMWs, Audis and Mercs that are the bullys on the roads. :lol:

If I've got the OP correct it's not what I would call a low powered car... 180bhp?

I'm speaking from my experience...

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby Gumby » Sat May 12, 2012 12:58 pm

swatchways wrote:

I would think you're right in that it'll be the look of the car that makes people think either you'd be up for a race, or that they need to prove a point by overtaking you - as 7db has said the only answer is to let them get well away from you.

You can sometimes predict blockers I find - before you're even looking for the overtake they sort of 'clock' your car, and something in their behaviour shifts slightly. I always think that shift is where they decide you're not going to overtake them!

Thanks for the replies,

Yep, 180 :D

I'm usually pretty good at spotting cars whcih are likely to do something stupid, but sometimes even the least likely looking old bangers will try it on.
Gumby

Postby dombooth » Sat May 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Just remember, any driver is likely to do anything.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby YorkshireJumbo » Sat May 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Funnily enough, I get the opposite when driving in an "old" car (ie my 72 Midget). People seem to "need" to overtake me, regardless of how fast I accelerate or how fast I'm driving. The menatility seems to be: "it's an old car, therefore it must be slow, therefore I must overtake it"...

Once they've overtaken me, they then revert to normal driving, often slower than I was going before they overtook :twisted:
You may have speed, but I have momentum
YorkshireJumbo

Postby martine » Sat May 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi Gumby and welcome!

Gumby wrote:...For example, other cars will try and 'race' when exiting a two lane roundabout, or block returning to lane 1 after overtaking...

...and overtakes can be completed before the exit I want to take, and I always leave plenty space when moving back in.

Probably best not to get into a competitive situations...esp. on roundabouts - many think you shouldn't be side-by-side with someone or overtake on a roundabout.

Keep chilled 8)
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Sat May 12, 2012 6:30 pm

It's also possible that the manner of the overtake is what people object to rather than necessarily the car you're in.

One example of this I remember was getting an interesting reaction from an old lady I overtook (and possibly woke up) when using the full beans in a friend's v8 Porsche. At the time, I couldn't see anything wrong with my approach (and safety wasn't compromised, etc), but on reflection and discussion with my co-driver, an alternative option may have been to use less of the performance of the car so as to be a little more socially acceptable, whilst still getting the job done relatively swiftly and safely. I also try to thank/acknowledge people I've overtaken too as a way of diffusing any ill-feeling that may have been generated.

Ironically, I've yet to suffer any bad reactions while driving my current car, despite the general stereotypes that go with it :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby martine » Sat May 12, 2012 8:00 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:...Ironically, I've yet to suffer any bad reactions while driving my current car, despite the general stereotypes that go with it :lol:

Remind me?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby nigelc » Sat May 12, 2012 8:11 pm

I noticed a strange psychological phenomenon some years ago. I drove a Nissan Almera for a while (I’m not looking for sympathy) and regularly sat at junctions waiting to pull out into slow moving traffic. Nobody would let me in. I then started driving an Alfa and it’s amazing how courteous other road users are giving way etc. I take pity on Audis and BMWs who sit with people actively closing a gap to stop them progressing. It seems that there are different attitudes towards different cars even while they're stationary.

As Dom pointed out, when I drive a Micra there is a certain group of German cars drive to intimidate me. (Audi = Automobile Usually Driven by Idiots :twisted: no offence intended to Audi drivers on here – I actually saw one being driven courteously and to the speed limit last week) And that's me stereotyping cars :oops:

I’m sure a psychologist could do an interesting study on behaviour towards certain cars.

I try to keep chilled, if I’m driving a fast car and someone tries to race I let them go with the attitude that they beat me because I let them and I’ve nothing to prove. If I’m driving a slow car then I let them go because I have not option. No need to get wound up by the idiots.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
nigelc

Postby ScoobyChris » Sat May 12, 2012 8:15 pm

martine wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:...Ironically, I've yet to suffer any bad reactions while driving my current car, despite the general stereotypes that go with it :lol:

Remind me?

It has a blue and white propeller on the front ;) :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Pontoneer » Sun May 13, 2012 5:32 am

Gumby wrote:Hello everyone,
First I should introduce myself as I'm new here...hello!

For example, other cars will try and 'race' when exiting a two lane roundabout, or block returning to lane 1 after overtaking. People are always trying to 'have a go'. :roll:

Is this something other people encounter? I don't think I'm being aggressive at all. As I say, I only every make use of the power when it's safe to do so and overtakes can be completed before the exit I want to take, and I always leave plenty space when moving back in. .

Thanks,

Hello , and welcome to the forum ; glad you're enjoying the new car .

The one comment I would make is that whilst still on a roundabout is not the most appropriate place to be overtaking since people can be unfamiliar with the area and can be apt to change lanes unexpectedly , or find their plans thwarted by someone overtaking on the roundabout . A roundabout is basically a junction and it is no more appropriate to overtake on one than it would be whilst passing by , through or across any other type of junction .

Less potential for conflict equals less potential danger and less stress .

Once clear of the roundabout , if the road is clear , you can then overtake safely .
Pontoneer

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum