Other drivers attitudes to 'fast' cars

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Pontoneer » Sun May 13, 2012 5:42 am

YorkshireJumbo wrote:Funnily enough, I get the opposite when driving in an "old" car (ie my 72 Midget). People seem to "need" to overtake me, regardless of how fast I accelerate or how fast I'm driving. The menatility seems to be: "it's an old car, therefore it must be slow, therefore I must overtake it"...

Once they've overtaken me, they then revert to normal driving, often slower than I was going before they overtook :twisted:

I find this too , the youngest car in my fleet being a 1986 model , and despite being capable of showing a clean pair of tail pipes to most other cars , some seem desperate to overtake at any cost .

Depending on the circumstances , I either just let them go , or accelerate quickly to my chosen cruising speed before they get the chance to do any more than think about passing .
Pontoneer

Postby Standard Dave » Mon May 14, 2012 9:21 pm

I posted a thread about a similar situation different attitudes to different cars for the information of readers who don't remember it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3579&p=70529#p70529

My experience is that some drivers so far an Audi RS4, Sierra Cosworth, EVO VIII, Honda Intergra type R and several other lesser BMWs, Audis, Ford and Vauxhalls have decided that they must try and keep up with or pass the Subaru. Now any fool can drive fast on a straight road or break the speed limit on a DC so I just let them go or lose sight of them when they fail to negotiate roundabouts or a twisty section anywhere near as quickly as I can.

On the subject of roundabouts I have to say that on the mouth, mid roundabout or larger ones and on the exit are some of the best places to pass a vehicle on a single carriageway road network. It's certainly an overtaking spot taught on emergency service driving courses both with and without warning the other road users.
Standard Dave

Postby Gumby » Thu May 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks all for the replies, its good to know other people encounter this too.
Gumby

Postby Octy_Ross » Mon May 21, 2012 12:01 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
martine wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:...Ironically, I've yet to suffer any bad reactions while driving my current car, despite the general stereotypes that go with it :lol:

Remind me?

It has a blue and white propeller on the front ;) :lol:

Chris

Isn't it a white propeller on a blue (sky) background...
Octy_Ross

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon May 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:Isn't it a white propeller on a blue (sky) background...

Doing some research, it seems that it's neither. Seems it's a nod to the Bavarian National flag ... possibly :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum