Breaking the speed limit whilst overtaking

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jc2012 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:58 pm

<<original post removed by author>>
Last edited by jc2012 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jc2012

Postby Renny » Wed May 30, 2012 4:34 pm

Lots of previous discussions on this

try [url=http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3832&start=105&hilit=overtaking
]here[/url], here, here
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby driverpete » Wed May 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Do we really need to debate this? The clue is in the word "Limit".
driverpete

Postby dombooth » Wed May 30, 2012 4:40 pm

jc2012 wrote:I would have thought the answer to this question was pretty clear cut, but an article I stumbled upon on Yahoo answers suggests there's some debate over this:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 552AAHow5x

What is the consensus of opinion amongst people on this forum?

No, no, no and no.

The law is the law and that's that.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby Gareth » Wed May 30, 2012 8:00 pm

With insufficient speed differential then from a practical point of view it can be a trade-off between safety and legality.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Horse » Wed May 30, 2012 9:55 pm

chriskay wrote:Your first sentence sums the situation up perfectly; the answer is a clear cut 'no' and there's an end of it. Having said that, some years ago I did exactly that on a RoSPA re-test and retained my Gold.

On my IAM bike test the examiner overtook me. I had to do 55 in a 30 to catch up with him . . .

I passed :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby fungus » Wed May 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Whilst it is illegal to break a speed limit, I would not hesitate to if I'd misjudged an overtake. As Gareth said, " It can be a trade off between safety and legality.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Kevin » Thu May 31, 2012 2:30 pm

Of course it is illegal to break the speed limit while overtaking, but if you're in a 60 NSL following a car doing 50, your speed differential, if you keep within the limit, could prevent you from overtaking in what otherwise might be perfectly safe locations. There will be some that say, well don't overtake then if you can't stay 100% legal, but then we could end up with a long line of cars travelling at 50 (indicated, probably 46 -47 true speed) and this risks having frustrated drivers attempting unsafe overtakes.

I am prepared to travel at speeds above an indicated 60, briefly, for a safe overtaking opportunity. I know that my speedometer reads over the true speed. An indicated 70 is about 65 true speed in my car.
Kevin

Postby jc2012 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:31 am

Last edited by jc2012 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jc2012

Postby C7GRN » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:49 am

As many has indicated the simple answer is no & like others here to get passed a vehicle who is toodling along at 50MPH in a NSL then if safe to do so then pass.... the less time you spend on the opposing carriageway the better. I would pass any driving test obeying the speed limits & as a couple have indicated
chriskay wrote:
Gareth wrote:With insufficient speed differential then from a practical point of view it can be a trade-off between safety and legality.

But you can often be illegal and perfectly safe.

I am a little surprised by
Horse wrote:On my IAM bike test the examiner overtook me. I had to do 55 in a 30 to catch up with him . . .

..... as constantly when we have 'Meet The Examiner' sessions with the IAM associates without fail they will say exceed the speed limit & its a fail*. I would hope that both Bike & Car examiners sing from the same hymn sheet & I know that some examiners have a a foot in both camps.

* they have also said if you exceed the speed limit by a little (eg 43 in a 40) then as long as you correct this as soon as then nothing said - if this persistently happens then you might be looking at a fail
Gary
IAM Advanced Driver

Torqu'ing is good :)
C7GRN

Postby Gumby » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:39 pm

On my test, one of the first things the examiner said was if you need to go over the speed limit to safely overtake someone, then do it. If you don't, I will tell you to!

If it's safe and you can justify doing so, then do it. If you can't and you know there isn't a good reason for doing so, then don't.
Gumby

Postby Standard Dave » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:14 pm

Overtaking isn't a defence in law to a speeding offence this is true. Unless you are doing so through a fixed camera site or with a camera van in sight what do you think the chances or your offence being detected and prosecuted.

As others have said for traffic flow and other safety reasons I've exceeded the posted limit to overtake both with and without exemption to the speed regulations.
Standard Dave

Postby dth » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Whenever this subject comes up, I think there is often confusion between ensuring that safety is maintained during an overtake and making a positive decision to break the law in order to achieve safety. The first may become necessary if the planning element has not been carried out correctly and it may be that an examiner may take a relaxed attitude to it if the rest of the drive was competent and safe and this might have been the only issue as regards a decision to pass or fail. The latter is where the planning is based on a decision to break the law and that should always be a fail because the attitude is wrong whatever the driving skills.

There is also the mistaken idea, in my opinion, that drivers may have some sort of responsibility to inject safety into a road situation by taking it upon themselves to do something illegal to prompt that safety. I can see no basis of safety on making such decisions except in the most extreme of cases - and I can't think of one - and I don't see how such a decision could be supported in safety terms where a vehicle is travelling below the limit at any level. Doesn't the attitude of the responsible driver have to be that we have to deal safely and legally with the actions of other drivers whatever they may be?
Last edited by dth on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Postby martine » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Gumby wrote:On my test, one of the first things the examiner said was if you need to go over the speed limit to safely overtake someone, then do it. If you don't, I will tell you to!

If it's safe and you can justify doing so, then do it. If you can't and you know there isn't a good reason for doing so, then don't.

I take it this was quite a while ago? I can't imagine any current IAM examiners saying this now.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby GJD » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:52 pm

dth wrote:Whenever this subject comes up, I think there is often confusion between ensuring that safety is maintained during an overtake and making a positive decision to break the law in order to achieve safety.

I think I see what you're saying. The first case is where I incorrectly judge that I can overtake safely within the speed limit, then part-way through realise that my judgement was wrong and that I do in fact need to break the limit to remain safe, while the second case is where I correctly judge that I can only overtake safely by exceeding the limit, and decide to proceed with the safe but illegal overtake. Is that right?

I think there's a third case too (and I suspect this might be what the examiners people have referred to are getting at). I think there are instances where, whilst it would not be unacceptably dangerous to stay within the speed limit during a particular overtake, safety during the overtake can be optimised (at the expense of legality) by temporarily exceeding the limit to get the overtake completed more quickly.
GJD

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum