Breaking the speed limit whilst overtaking

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gareth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:59 am

dombooth wrote:
jcochrane wrote:At some point a commitment to the overtake has always to be made. Braking is then by deffinition rarely a viable option but more acceleration is.

But surely it depends what car you're driving? ;)

It makes no difference at all if you're passed the point of commitment - which is based almost entirely on the speeds of the vehicles, (actual and relative), and the distance between them.

One point I think you're missing, Dom, is that with a closing speed of 20 mph there is a huge difference between braking at, say, 40 mph and at 60 mph, due to the amounts of energy to be dissipated. (If I am wrong about this perhaps someone will be kind enough to correct me ...)
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby apple tango » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:55 am

Why has the OP removed their post and changed the name of the topic?
Alex
apple tango

Postby dombooth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:41 am

jcochrane wrote:
dombooth wrote:
jcochrane wrote:At some point a commitment to the overtake has always to be made. Braking is then by deffinition rarely a viable option but more acceleration is.

Dom

I guess your comment was tongue in cheek bearing in mind what you have told us about your own car. But it is important that the decision to overtake, or not, does take into consideration the car being driven. When fortunate enough to drive a nice powerful Porsche there are many more possible overtakes that can be taken safely and easily as the extra acceleration is there if required. Like you Dom, my own car is very low powered and so the overtakes I would take in a Porsche are just not possible. Having said that I do get more satisfaction out of the overtakes in my own car as they will require a higher level of work in planning, precision and execution.

If Playtent is still lurking here he will probably pop up and say I don't do overtakes. :lol:

(Don't forget I'm talking about overtaking within the speed limit.) Yes a Porsche would accelerate a lot quicker out of the danger than my car would, which is why with my car I would be braking to get out of the danger.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby dombooth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:42 am

TripleS wrote:
dombooth wrote:

Dom

Aye, that it does. Mark usually drives powerful cars, which give more options for dealing with unpleasant surprises, whereas with my 90 bhp machinery I'd have been confined to braking and steering, and in the situation described would probably have made contact with the van.

I know Mark mentioned that his car has daytime running lights (which I don't have), but I sometimes favour the use of headlights on the approach to an overtake, but put them on early; not just a quick flash as you're about to overtake.

Best wishes all......including the very young whippersnappers, :lol:
Dave.

My sidelights are on most of the time anyway so in a way I suppose they act as DRLs. :lol:

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby dombooth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:45 am

Gareth wrote:
dombooth wrote:

It makes no difference at all if you're passed the point of commitment - which is based almost entirely on the speeds of the vehicles, (actual and relative), and the distance between them.

One point I think you're missing, Dom, is that with a closing speed of 20 mph there is a huge difference between braking at, say, 40 mph and at 60 mph, due to the amounts of energy to be dissipated. (If I am wrong about this perhaps someone will be kind enough to correct me ...)

I think it does make a difference though, if I was driving up-hill, going to overtake someone doing say, 30 in a 60 and I was doing 50 up this hill, got to the back of him then he started to move out then I'd be wanting to brake as my car probably couldn't speed up any time soon.

There is a huge difference and yes I see and understand that but also the same goes for acceleration in the way that accelerating from 40 uphill, would be easier for my car than from 60 uphill, so for me at least, braking would be more effective.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby dombooth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:46 am

apple tango wrote:Why has the OP removed their post and changed the name of the topic?

See here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3928

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:39 pm

chriskay wrote:
apple tango wrote:Why has the OP removed their post and changed the name of the topic?

Two words: toys & pram.

:lol:

Do you think we'll see a second coming?
Kevin

Postby dombooth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:40 pm

chriskay wrote:

Don't be so pathetic. It was other members constantly being 'im better than you' attitude and most other members on here advocating speeding.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby TripleS » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:48 pm

dombooth wrote:
TripleS wrote:I know Mark mentioned that his car has daytime running lights (which I don't have), but I sometimes favour the use of headlights on the approach to an overtake, but put them on early; not just a quick flash as you're about to overtake.

Dave.

My sidelights are on most of the time anyway so in a way I suppose they act as DRLs. :lol:

Dom

Do you mean sidelights (or parking lights, or position lights - as some people call them) or do you mean dipped headlights? I woulddn't have thought sidelights alone would amount to much of a visible warning of your approach and intention to overtake.

BTW, I do sympathise with your plight regarding insurance. It was a bit of a pain when I started too. My first premium was £40 - but that was in September 1960. :roll: It's now about £170......daylight robbery! :evil:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby dombooth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:52 pm

TripleS wrote:
dombooth wrote:
TripleS wrote:I know Mark mentioned that his car has daytime running lights (which I don't have), but I sometimes favour the use of headlights on the approach to an overtake, but put them on early; not just a quick flash as you're about to overtake.

Dave.

Dom

Do you mean sidelights (or parking lights, or position lights - as some people call them) or do you mean dipped headlights? I woulddn't have thought sidelights alone would amount to much of a visible warning of your approach and intention to overtake.

BTW, I do sympathise with your plight regarding insurance. It was a bit of a pain when I started too. My first premium was £40 - but that was in September 1960. :roll: It's now about £170......daylight robbery! :evil:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Sidelights, they're not on for anyone else's benefit except mine really as they light up the clocks so I can see them easier when going through trees/bridges etc instead of flicking them on and off every few minutes.

Ger it paid you tight git! :twisted: (joking)

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby TripleS » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:56 pm

dombooth wrote:
chriskay wrote:

Don't be so pathetic. It was other members constantly being 'im better than you' attitude and most other members on here advocating speeding.

Dom

Oi, steady on: that's an old and well respected pal of mine you're having a go at. :D

Anyhow I don't think there's much of the "I'm better than you" attitude round here, and I don't think people are advocating speeding. It's more a case of not trying particularly hard to avoid it: and even then it is subject to remaining safe, and it applies to NSL areas only. Well that's my (possibly deranged) view anyhow. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby dombooth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:02 pm

TripleS wrote:
dombooth wrote:
chriskay wrote:Two words: toys & pram.

Dom

Oi, steady on: that's an old and well respected pal of mine you're having a go at. :D

Anyhow I don't think there's much of the "I'm better than you" attitude round here, and I don't think people are advocating speeding. It's more a case of not trying particularly hard to avoid it: and even then it is subject to remaining safe, and it applies to NSL areas only. Well that's my (possibly deranged) view anyhow. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Sorry Dave, I just hate it when people be like this.

From where I'm sitting (as a relatively new comer) there is quite a bit of it. And as I've already put, we can't pick and choose which laws to abide by can we!

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby jont » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:20 pm

dombooth wrote:And as I've already put, we can't pick and choose which laws to abide by can we!

Well, as we don't yet live in Minority Report style dystopia (despite politicians best efforts to take us there), yes, we can pick and choose which laws to abide by but we have to accept the consequences of not doing so should we get caught.

Seeing as you like trite phrases, have you also come across the old proverb "Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools." ?

This thread is like picking a scab. I know I should leave it alone, but I just can't help coming back to it :roll:

/edited to add some context
jont

Postby dombooth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:23 pm

jont wrote:This thread is like picking a scab. I know I should leave it alone, but I just can't help coming back to it :roll:

I'll ignore the rest as I didn't understand a word of it.

As has been said by someone else:

"Shoot someone down and tell them everything they say is wrong, then accuse them of being childish when they eventually decide they've heard enough."

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby jont » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:31 pm

dombooth wrote:
jont wrote:This thread is like picking a scab. I know I should leave it alone, but I just can't help coming back to it :roll:

I'll ignore the rest as I didn't understand a word of it.

I've edited my post to add some links for context - hopefully you'll find them interesting. And before you ask, it doesn't automatically add an "edited by..." comment because I'm a moderator. So I've stuck a footnote to remark that I've edited it :roll:
jont

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum