driving using mid rpm's

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby GJD » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 am

WS wrote:What I mean could be described as a different mental attitude:
"By default I'm in the highest gear possible and I switch to a lower gear when needed"
rather than
"By default I'm in a 'responsive' gear and I switch to a higher gear when possible".

This strategy works for me in my everyday driving.

That's great then. I imagine you might find, if you drive different cars, that the highest gear possible at a particular speed is not always the same numbered gear. I can drive my diesel Volvo at 30 in 4th, but 4th at 30 doesn't work in the TVR.

I might characterise my mental approach slightly differently to yours, but that doesn't matter - I have a strategy that works for me in my car. By experimenting and learning how their car behaves, the OP should find a strategy that works for them too.
GJD

Postby vanman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:34 pm

WS wrote:
Gareth wrote:One idea in advanced driving is to always be in a responsive gear.

Always? When the situation requires it, then yes. When there is no use for a "responsive" gear, then it is just a waste of fuel.

Hi Ws,
Just a little idea recently revealed to yours truly. Try a higher gear into bends stay in 4th rather than taking 3rd etc. It is quicker. and yes it aint half, especiall;y in a micra that used to be driven at full chat. a whole lot smoother, yes even with me driving smoother! No honestly the magic carpet is some way off yet, but I can now see the tassels, and I'm cahtching the little B...trd. I think :wink:
vanman

Postby jcochrane » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:14 pm

vanman wrote:
WS wrote:

Always? When the situation requires it, then yes. When there is no use for a "responsive" gear, then it is just a waste of fuel.

Hi Ws,
Just a little idea recently revealed to yours truly. Try a higher gear into bends stay in 4th rather than taking 3rd etc. It is quicker. and yes it aint half, especiall;y in a micra that used to be driven at full chat. a whole lot smoother, yes even with me driving smoother! No honestly the magic carpet is some way off yet, but I can now see the tassels, and I'm cahtching the little B...trd. I think :wink:

Ahem......little what? How dare you question my parentage. I'll have to smack your wrists next time I see you. In fact might that be tomorrow? So beware. :twisted:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby jcochrane » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Sartacus wrote:Hello,

I am a novice to Advanced Driving Techniques.

I have just read a book by 'John Lyons'.

If I read his statement correctly he instructs to drive a car using mid-range rpm's, to "make your engine sing".
He said you should drive the car on the power/torque band.

I have a car with a 1.1l engine, if I drive using these principles and I drive in a 30mph zone, I find I am driving at 4000rpm in SECOND GEAR.

The engine doesn't feel over laboured (sounds revy though), I have plenty of acceleration left (it also feels good).

Have I miss-understood Mr. Lyons? Will I wreck my car?

Please could an advanced driver advise me.

Thank you...

When John made that comment he had in mind those who would change up early at around 2000/2500 rpm. This being done on the open road even when making rapid progress was possible. He would like to see more of the range of the torque band being used. In other words keep on accelerating and changing up later. It would have been in the early 70's when I took instruction from John and it was at a time when he was into motor racing. He was very keen that I should join him in the sport and so it was perhaps not a surprise that he would want me to accelerate in a gear only changing up once into the red zone.

For road driving in more modern cars I don't think red lining is so beneficial. Typically many petrol cars provide a workable torque band from 2000/2500 - 5000. There are I know a number of exceptions and high revving engines with red lines starting at over 6000 are not uncommon. Diesel engines would be lower starting from as low as 1500 in some cases up to 4000/4500.

With the gearing you mention in your car and assuming about 500 rpm between gears then I would have thought 3rd would be a good choice in a 30 limit. However where it is clear little acceleration is required 4th might be OK but being ready to drop to third if the situation changes. As Gareth has said if the speed drops to 20 then you'd need 2nd.

Very high performance cars are more highly geared than ordinary cars and invariably you would be in 2nd in a 30 limit. I don't think your 1.1l engine falls into this category though :) So for you to be in 2nd would seem to be too low.
jcochrane

Postby jcochrane » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:41 pm

vanman wrote:
WS wrote:

Hi Ws,

Connected to my post above the idea here is to use more of the torque band so in instead of changing down with the resultant rpm being in the middle of the torque band it can sometimes be better to use a higher gear in order to exploit the lower end, as well, of the power band. The gear can then be held longer and so the short delay and interruption to acceleration to change up, which would have been required if accelerating in the lower gear, can be avoided. Result is often that better progress is made between bends.

It's worth experimenting in those cases where either of two gears would be suitable to drive round a bend to try the higher gear and see how it works for you.
jcochrane

Postby WS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:08 pm

jcochrane wrote:
vanman wrote:Hi Ws,

Ahem......little what? How dare you question my parentage. I'll have to smack your wrists next time I see you. In fact might that be tomorrow? So beware. :twisted:

Vanman, many thanks, this is the kind of advice I expected from you :lol:. Have to go out on the road now and try the technique out. Hope I don't kill myself doing it :wink:

BTW, I love these discussions of the two of you! :lol:
Regards from Poland
Wojtek
WS

Postby vanman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:51 pm

WS wrote:
jcochrane wrote:
vanman wrote:Hi Ws,

Vanman, many thanks, this is the kind of advice I expected from you :lol:. Have to go out on the road now and try the technique out. Hope I don't kill myself doing it :wink:

BTW, I love these discussions of the two of you! :lol:

Driving the VAN mostly all month the (new) technique does really work. Taking it very easy 35mpg, and I mean easy. With this techenique 33.8mpg, normal (vanman technique 33mpg) so new method works for fuel AND is quicker :twisted:
vanman

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum