Teaching Advanced Driving

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby MancunianMan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi, first time ive come across this forum, so please be kind!!! Looks like a great site with lots of vital information. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

I became an ADI just over a year ago at the age of 24. I like teaching people to drive, but my long term goal is training Police Officers on Pursuit Driving. Currently, i want to teach people who can already drive, to drive at a better standard. The trouble is i dont really know where to look, and if my goal is a possible one as well? It would preferably be a full time job that i would have. Can anyone please help me out.

Any help would be really appreciated, Thanks
MancunianMan

Postby ROG » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Firstly ...... WELCOME :D

Well done on becoming an ADI - I hope you get lots of learners to teach

Now for the reality check ....

Virtually all those that teach the police traffic drivers hold the police advanced driving certificate which can only be gained by being a police traffic officer - that quashed that idea then ..... ?

As for improving the skills of those who have passed the B test - great - pass the advanced driving test and become a volunteer observer ..... If you intend to be paid for teaching this type of thing forget it ...... the reality is that there are very few who want to do any further training once the basic L test is passed and those that do will usually go to one of the advanced driving organisations
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby waremark » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Rog is telling you that your ambitions are almost impossible to achieve. Clearly it is not easy. However, a civilian friend of mine was accepted into a police driving school relatively soon after qualifying as an ADI (in his case Thames Valley Police Driving School), and he is now teaching police advanced courses; and quite a number of ADI's get work in post-test driver development, generally either in the field of fleet driver training, or running speed awareness courses.

You need to start by reading up on the requirements to join the register of fleet driver trainers. Try here:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... 1082073681

Others may be along with more specific advice.
waremark

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:32 am

waremark wrote:Rog is telling you that your ambitions are almost impossible to achieve. Clearly it is not easy. However, a civilian friend of mine was accepted into a police driving school relatively soon after qualifying as an ADI (in his case Thames Valley Police Driving School), and he is now teaching police advanced courses; and quite a number of ADI's get work in post-test driver development, generally either in the field of fleet driver training, or running speed awareness courses.

You need to start by reading up on the requirements to join the register of fleet driver trainers. Try here:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... 1082073681

Others may be along with more specific advice.

You and I also know some who are lucky enough to teach on the Porsche Experience at Silverstone. Also there are a very small number of driving schools that focus on more advanced driving that might be looking for instructors. A bit of googling should come up with something.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby ROG » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:59 am

waremark wrote:Rog is telling you that your ambitions are almost impossible to achieve.

Glad you put that :D
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby MrToad » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:01 am

Hi OP

To make it easier to advise what to do next, could you let us know your current Advanced Driving experience?
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby MancunianMan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies! Lots of good info passed on already which is interesting.

Mr Toad, in terms of qualifications i have achieved, other than my ability to teach people to drive, my IAM and RoSPA Gold certificates, I don't have anything else to my name. this is why i am a little stuck really. I need some help and info, some directional advice on which way to turn as I feel I need to further things from where I currently stand. Track experiences, driving experiences, etc sound great and it's something inwould be very interested in, but realistically what are the chances of me getting a job such as those, aged 25, with nothing except the above achievements listed?

I contacted the IAM and RoSPA examiner that I had for my tests, and asked him for some advice, to be honest he didn't really offer anything of use.

I'm young, keen and passionate about driving. I do on average 100,000 miles a year, and have driven all over the world overthe past 7 years, but I need to set a career past and more importantly, a career goal that I can realistically achieve.
MancunianMan

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:00 am

waremark wrote: However, a civilian friend of mine was accepted into a police driving school relatively soon after qualifying as an ADI (in his case Thames Valley Police Driving School), and he is now teaching police advanced courses

If that was a few years ago, I remember seeing the ad.

One of the few (actually, I can't think of another . . . ) 'plus' points to come from the gradual run-down of police driving schools, traffic devisions and police numbers in general, is that there will be fewer ex-trafpols coming into the 'advanced' training and testing field.

That said, I don't know how extensive that field really is, and how far it can be expanded . . . However, I don't think the area of post-test training will ever shrink significantly, other than as a result of recession.

Some 'blue light' training is now being done outside of the e-services own schools. IIRC there are already recommendations for people like St Johns ambo drivers - possibly there's a market there?

Perhaps the key is to identify a niche in the market for development? Otherwise, if it's a case of doing the same as others, try to find a 'twist' and market it well.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby martine » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:24 pm

MancunianMan wrote:...I do on average 100,000 miles a year...

Wow - that's serious mileage!

Training to be an Observer/Tutor would be a good move...it's very different to teaching learners but some of your skills will stand you in good sted.

It's not compulsory to be in the Fleet register - I'm not but still are part of the training team for Avon & Somerset Police: National Driver Alertness Course. http://www.driver-improvement.co.uk/index.php/home/driver-alertness-course. If you don't know, this course is an alternative to prosecution for 'driving without due care'.

That might get you a little closer to your goal but I imagine the number of civilian instructors used by the police for training their own drivers is very small. Tough goal but don't let that put you off...it is possible as some have said.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Fleet work would certainly be a good step in the right direction, although I'm not sure it pays anybody's bills until they are well-established, so you'd probably have to continue teaching learners for a while.

Becoming an IAM or RoSPA observer / tutor might be a good move, but since it doesn't count as any kind of qualification, all you'd be doing would be adding some coaching experience to your existing teaching qualifications (as well as helping to spread the word about advanced driving).

My first RoSPA associate was an ADI coach - an ADI who helped new ADIs through their Part 2 and 3. He interrupted his RoSPA training (which was going quite well) before taking an advanced test, because he was interviewed for, and got, a post with West Mercia Police as a civvy driving instructor. So it does, and can happen, but expect competition to be tough. He said his RoSPA training was a big step in the right direction, but his new employers were going to give him full training anyway.

When you say you drive 100,000 miles a year, are you counting time spent in the passenger seat? 100,000 miles is roughly 300 miles per day, or about 5 hours driving. How do you fit in a full-time job?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ROG » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:When you say you drive 100,000 miles a year, are you counting time spent in the passenger seat? 100,000 miles is roughly 300 miles per day, or about 5 hours driving. How do you fit in a full-time job?

Maybe he works as a full time courier driver?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby MancunianMan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi Guys, yes im a delivery driver full time, doing 200-300 miles a day, 5 days a week. Then when i get in, i have my tea, go back out doing lessons and also at weekends. Maybe 100,000 is a little optimistic, maybe nearer to 85,000 miles a year. :D

Some great replies so far and has given me plenty of thought. Basically i think im trying to get to an area of driving instruction, that doesn't actually exist really. That really suprises me if im honest. Over the short 7 years ive had my license, driving standards in this country have dropped rapidly in my opinion, and i think some sort of Advanced Motoring course would benefit people. That is where i want to be, but without it being made compulsory, i dont think my career goal is a realistic one.

I will look around the motoring circuits and see what options they throw up. Also keep my eyes on the Police job sections, on the off chance that something may come up.
MancunianMan

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote: Becoming an IAM or RoSPA observer / tutor might be a good move, but since it doesn't count as any kind of qualification, all you'd be doing would be adding some coaching experience to your existing teaching qualifications (as well as helping to spread the word about advanced driving).

There is the ROSPA Diploma/BTEC which is a reasonably hugh standard.

Also worth looking at coaching/development training alongside skill development.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:21 pm

You may want to consider approaching companies like AADrivetech, IAM Drive and Survive, you can get fleet registered from the former which is also their induction course, depending on your geographical location may also effect your work load. On a side note you may want to study towards your PTTLS and CTLLS, Cert Ed etc, these will all help your teaching practices both in car and classroom. Licence acquisition is also something else that may help i.e. LGV/PCV, the more strings to your bow the better, on one final note dont give up on your ambition to train Police drivers for response training etc, it is possible because Ive managed it! :wink:
daz6215

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:37 pm

I assessed a Met [car] instructor for a motorcycle instructor award, and conducted Part One bike tests (for anyone who remembers back that far!) for a bunch of Met car instructors at.Hendon :)

But those sort of events don't happe too often . . .
Horse

Return to Advanced Driving Forum