How do you get a ride in a police car

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TripleS » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:36 pm

Safety1st wrote:my family and friends obviously take it for granted...

although i'm rarely brilliant being the wheel...if at any time...haha

I never thought of you being the wheel S1 - (more speed, less accuracy?) - unless you mean wheel man, alias getaway driver. Is that another of your er, moonlighting jobs?

Maybe you don't think in tems of brilliance etc. - whereas probably you're one of Von's natural drivers, or the Stressed one's artistic drivers, or both.

I dunno, what with being part time TrafPol (Class 1 to boot) plus the part time scamera van activity, plus part time publicist for a motor trader, and now maybe part time getaway driver. What next?

Gee folks, the man's talents are limitless. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave - in clowning mode.
TripleS

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:42 am

TripleS wrote:
Safety1st wrote:my family and friends obviously take it for granted...

although i'm rarely brilliant being the wheel...if at any time...haha

I never thought of you being the wheel S1 - (more speed, less accuracy?) - unless you mean wheel man, alias getaway driver. Is that another of your er, moonlighting jobs?[/qutote]

I think an ex traffic cop....would make an excellent getaway driver..and could pretty much name his fee....Mmmm..[mind turning over]

TripleS wrote:Maybe you don't think in tems of brilliance etc. - whereas probably you're one of Von's natural drivers, or the Stressed one's artistic drivers, or both.

I'm a big believer in not thinking you are a 'good' or 'brilliant' driver..and therefore always aware of you limitations and also wanting to learn and develop....therefore always wanting to be better..

TripleS wrote:I dunno, what with being part time TrafPol (Class 1 to boot) plus the part time scamera van activity, plus part time publicist for a motor trader, and now maybe part time getaway driver. What next?

You forgot my private consultancy work....;)

Although my camera van duties are nowadays non existant. The 'role' I play within the Road Policing Dept nowadays means I no longer do the cameravan on days off. To be frank, i've not done any for a few months....It started to bore me...and I was making the money elsewhere with my consultancy work..and it was much more exciting, interesting and entertaining.

Besides, more and more civilian operators are being employed by Safety Camera Partnerships....so not much work left for the cops. That'll only be a bad thing for the public..as the civvies will be blasting everything...

Remember what happened when the parking attendants went private...and the quotas that the civvy ones had to do....?
Roadcraft

Postby TripleS » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:12 am

Safety1st wrote:I think an ex traffic cop....would make an excellent getaway driver..and could pretty much name his fee....Mmmm..[mind turning over]

No doubt some very valuable qualities would be there, but I wonder if your natural focus on safety might tend to detract from optimum progress.

Safety1st wrote:I'm a big believer in not thinking you are a 'good' or 'brilliant' driver..and therefore always aware of you limitations and also wanting to learn and develop....therefore always wanting to be better....

Oh yes indeed. I wouldn't want to make any claims on my own behalf and I don't think in those terms. For me it's simply a matter of enjoying getting around in a reliably troublefree fashion and making little improvements as and when.

Safety1st wrote:You forgot my private consultancy work....;)

Indeed I did, sorry. I'm still saving up!

Safety1st wrote:....my camera van duties are nowadays non existant.

I was disappointed when you took to associating with that shower, so this is good news. In view of that, why not look in again on your friends at PH - who were quite upset at a Traffic Officer spending time on scamera van duty - I'm sure many of them will welcome you back. You might also give Von a bit of support over there, but he battles on anyhow.

Anyhow take care S1, see you sometime I expect.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby 7db » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:52 am

Safety1st wrote:Besides, more and more civilian operators are being employed by Safety Camera Partnerships....so not much work left for the cops. That'll only be a bad thing for the public..as the civvies will be blasting everything...

Ooh - excellent. I might be looking for a job soon. It is well paid? Is it as easy as they say?
7db

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:20 am

7db wrote:Ooh - excellent. I might be looking for a job soon. It is well paid? Is it as easy as they say?

Dont know what the pay is...

But it's real easy work...
Roadcraft

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:19 pm

Thanks to the above suggestions, I dropped our RoSPA co-ordinator an e-mail to ask about the possibility of this and received the following, rather positive reply :D Here's hoping :D

--8<---
Hello Chris
I know what you mean. We have good contacts with our police here as well,
and when they ran our courses, (a little before I joined) the run out in a
police car was part of the 'entertainment'. However, we have not asked for
this lately as I believe it is up to the department head as to what their
men can and cannot do. However, thanks for the thought and I will add it to
our next committee agenda and perhaps it could be restarted again. Our
police speakers will be able to tell us.
Hope you do well in your test! Let me know.
Best wishes
Daphne.
ScoobyChris

Postby Prelude » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:54 pm

Safety1st wrote:
I think an ex traffic cop....would make an excellent getaway driver..and could pretty much name his fee....Mmmm..[mind turning over]

~~~~~~~~~~~~ :idea:

Hmmmm, great minds and all that.....! Obviously MINDful to safety..... and progression too! 8) Anyway, I expect MI5 and various other MI numbers have their own top quality drivers, and maybe inconspicous ones too! Another :idea: Wouldn't be much cop though on some stretches of the M1 or M62, but yes, mmmmmmmmm. :D
Prelude

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum