Mirror Checks

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Chad » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their responses so far. Without viewing my drive I understand why the assumption would be that I'm starting the system too late, but that isn't really the problem here (although I do sometimes! :wink: )

My original post was prompted because when you listen to other's commentaries (on video) it's not always clear if they are checking single or multiple mirrors. On the associates guides on the bristol IAM website, it advocates scanning all 3 mirrors on approach to hazards. Now when you have shorter stretches between bends, you can easily end feeling as if you're being overly mirror focused etc...

So I was looking for clarification, particulary from the Police advanced drivers. When viewing the 'Roadcraft' DVD there appeared to be alot of single mirror checks there as well.

Thanks
Chad
Chad

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:05 pm

I like it when someone - even as good as CG - parrots "Mirror!" at every opportunity :wink:

Just me, but I'd much prefer that they didn't tell us there's still a set of three mirrors fixed inside and out of the vehicle, but told us what they see (or don't) and why it's important.

OK, just me being pedantic, but perhaps it gets back to the nub of the OP's queston - or, at least, my version answer.

As already pointed out, the key is: 'information', and from that: decisions.

i.e.
Where does most danger come from? Ahead, so that's the way we sit facing in (or on) the vehicle

Where else can danger come from? Behind, so that's why we check to see what implications following traffic might have on our decision making process.

But also? Danger can be created by our own actions e.g. if we try and put the vehicle where someone else is, or soon will be.

So, priority:
1. Course ahead, decisions on that are affected by potential movement of others from behind
2. Course changes to the sides, also affected by the potential movement of others

How to decide which mirrors to use? Timescales & situation

If you're approaching a hazard but won't be altering speed or course, how likely is it that there's something in a constant position alongside in your blind spot? If there's an opportunity for someone to have got there, then you need to check alongside as well as behind.

If, however, you'll be moving your vehicle 'sideways' in the road space ahead, then that door mirror / over shoulder check becomes significantly more important. And if the situation also involves you being, for instance, significantly slower than other traffic could be, then a good check of the interior mirror followed by a door mirror check followed by a shoulder check immediately prior to the change of course could all be needed.

But . . . where does most danger come from? Ahead. So in between all those checks you still need to be aware of the road ahead, and planning beyond the immediate hazard you're planning for.

Isn't that a contradiction?

Yes, so overcome it by building 'mirror history' - don't just 'look at the mirror' or 'look in the mirror', every time there is reduced 'pressure' ahead, take the opportunity to inform yourself - actually say out aloud - what's behind, and what it (ie the driver) appears to be doing. Stereotypes and cliches exist for a reason, so use that information too.

I suppose the other key point is to be wary of 'rote' and habit. Use mirror and shoulder checks because they're needed, not because you think you ought.

A classic example is immediately prior to an overtake, when many motorcyclists (I don't know about car drivers) start to close up behind the vehicle ahead, then do a shoulder check before moving out to pass.

i.e. That's a shoulder check having just closed up and halved (or worse) their following distance (and reaction distance/time etc.) . . . Typically they'll be following only a second behind. How long does it take to look over your shoulder and gain any meaningful information? It's a classic (not just for the rear obs.) of a rider doing what they *think* is 'riding correctly'. Usually because they've seen a demo and not fully inderstood when somethings necessary and when it's a mistake.

Long, rambling, stream of consciousness answer - hope it's been helpful :lol:
Last edited by Horse on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Thank you :) A good excuse to spend/waste some time on Youtube :)

These are old 'Blue book' days motorcycle videos from Kent police. Worth watching - but try to watch them in order - the final one doesn't make so much sense otherwise.

Here's some more modern stuff. The great thing about the view given by the camera on the rear light 'stick' is that you can see the rider's head movement as well as hear when he says what rear obs he's taking and why.

And finally (as they say on all the best news programmes) . . . a really old-fashioned video (quite innovative in its day, 1977-9):

Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Astraist » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Would you suggest a more frequent mirror check on a motorcycle, when compared to a family car?
Astraist

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Astraist wrote:Would you suggest a more frequent mirror check on a motorcycle, when compared to a family car?

Good question, sorry it's taken a while to answer :)

It might depend on 'context'. If you're getting a move on, then more of your concentration needs to be to the front, well ahead. So, perhaps, routine 'updating' mirror (& shoulder) checks are replaced by 'need to know' checks, particularly prior to lane changes, or moves within the lane width - actually situations which are less (in relative terms) for cars due to their extra width.

Do the police rider videos help?
Horse

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum