Brake failure - shold you change down the gears ?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Horse » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:06 am

Keeping with the motorcycle comparisons . . . the perceived wisdom for bike crashing is 'slide, don't roll'. So back to cars, an attempted handbrake turn's out . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Renny » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:19 pm

I've suffered brake failure at least 3 times.

Total brake failure in a Ford D-Series, at low speed (<5mph), resulted in me crashing through the workshop door as I appraoched it and found the brake fluid had leaked from a failed wheel cylinder. Fortunately, noe of my workmates were behind the door. I did have time to apply the handbrake, which had little effect as one drum was soaked in fluid, and kill the engine, which did slow the engine slightly. Learning Outcome - Static brake test is useful :oops:

Significant brake fade having driven my rally prepared Sunbeam through Clashindarroch stage (I was Stage Commander) as I was making my way (rapidly) back to the start. Fortunately uphill, and not total failure, so recovered the situation.

Loss of brakes when driving a 38T artic, during sub-zero conditions, noticed as I check-braked on a long descent: Cause, air relay valve frozen closed, resulting in no brakes. I was able to allow the speed to fall using the exhaust brake and down-changes, and stopped safely in a lay-by using the secondary brakes (parking brake). The cure was a kettle of hot water over the valve and some methanol down the air lines back to the trailer.
None of these were pleasant, and none resulted in serious consequences.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Astraist » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Horse wrote:So, worst case you managed to change to and fully engage a 'too low' gear, will the engine go bang? If so, will it stop you? I suppose the options could be the top end turning to shrapnel, a seize (which would lock the driving wheels). Presumably a disel over-revving has differnet outcomes from a petrol engine?

Also, albeit you'll [most of your] lose steering control, would turning off the ignition help or hinder engine braking?

Turning off the ignition results in some retardation, but much less than under a lower gear with a running motor. Steeering control isn't so easily hindered by turning off the ignition - the steering does not lock with the key in the ignition and when at speed - the lack of power steering isn't too dramatic either. Nevertheless, this step is not recommended.

Overreving usually results in valve to-piston contact and failure at the valve lifters, prior to any other kind of damage. Obviously a diesel engine which runs at lower revs and is usually sturdier overall will be a bit more tolerant to slight overrevving, although damage to the crank happens in such motors earlier during over-revving.

I seem to remember Tom Topper recommending grazing walls or barriers

This is a last resort if both engine braking and manual braking (i.e. the handbrake) don't provide good enough a result and it might not slow down the car as quickly just as you might think (especially at motorway speeds). Also, you must scrub very carefully at a sloped angle, particularly if you try it against the divider (which can roll the car).
Astraist

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum