Motorcyclists in your blind spot?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gumby » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:52 pm

No, This isn't having a go motorcyclists!

I've noticed more and more motorcyclists happy to sit in the blind spot of cars, not just mine but other people.
I would have thought it was quiet obvious where you can and can't be seen in someone's mirrors ("If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you"), but why do so many just sit there?

Even those who are driving 'grown up' motorcycles seem to do it- is this a technique taught when learning to ride?

Usually you'll see them approaching in your mirrors, then they just dissappear and can only be seen by looking over your shoulder. This isn't a major problem for me, but what about people who don't look over their shoulder regularly?
Gumby

Postby waremark » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Presumably: 'If you cannot see me in my mirrors, I cannot see you'.
waremark

Postby martine » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm not sure I've noticed it getting worse but certainly some bikers do it and yes it's flipping risky I'd have thought. Anyone taking advanced biking instruction would presumably be warned of the dangers of taking up such a position...not sure 'normal' courses would cover this even though they should.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby michaelward21 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Its a shame motorcyclists dont think about it from a car drivers perspective. When I ride the bike I always make, if anywhere, im actually in front of the car, or at least in front of the driver.
Having said that, if the bike is in the blind spot behind the driver and doesnt move until the car has gone, is there a problem?

Mike
michaelward21

Postby GJD » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:35 pm

Gumby wrote:Usually you'll see them approaching in your mirrors, then they just dissappear and can only be seen by looking over your shoulder. This isn't a major problem for me, but what about people who don't look over their shoulder regularly?

When they're in your blind spot, are they actually alongside you (wholly or partially) or are they still behind?

Perhaps, if they're not actually alongside (so the risk to them is not only that you change lanes without looking, but that you change lanes without looking and brake) they feel that they're safe enough.
GJD

Return to Advanced Driving Forum