Scary Moment

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby gannet » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Having a great time on the roads around the Isle of Skye, but just witnessed a rather scary incident...

While following some vehicles having caught them up and waiting patiently for an overtaking opportunity one of the vehicles in front decides that an overtake is 'on' and goes for it - available space about 250m and closing.... round the bend comes a Range Rover who has to practically stop while flashing their lights. At no point does the overtaking car abort their overtake of two cars :shock:

I was two cars back from this with nothing behind. I braked quite hard to leave some space for anything that developed ahead (luckily nothing bad)... nobody else did which got me questioning my logic - so that's my question what would you have done?
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:28 pm

In your place?

Mirrors, to see who I may affect, then brake firmly, ready over the hazard switch, be looking for where to park up and thinking 'hi-viz coat back seat, , gloves in pocket, phone, location' . . .

But I'm a pessamist :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby martine » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Yes of course braking and creating more space in front is definitely a good idea. Might have been more tricky of there was someone close behind you...but still not a reason to continue on and possibly contribute to the pending collision.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby gannet » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Horse wrote:In your place?

Mirrors, to see who I may affect, then brake firmly, ready over the hazard switch, be looking for where to park up and thinking 'hi-viz coat back seat, , gloves in pocket, phone, location' . . .

But I'm a pessamist :)

hi-viz coat - does black count :oops:
phone - could have been tricky - patchy reception at best up here :P
location - that's what GPS is for ;)

Seriously glad I was on the right track, it's just all the other muppets blindly going into oblivion :lol:

martine wrote:Yes of course braking and creating more space in front is definitely a good idea. Might have been more tricky of there was someone close behind you...but still not a reason to continue on and possibly contribute to the pending collision.

Everything behind was a way off - they couldn't keep up ;)
-- Gannet.
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Let me guess - you're on a tour organised by a car forum? :P
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby gannet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Let me guess - you're on a tour organised by a car forum? :P

nope.. tour organised solely by moi :D Skye, then newtonmore (just south of Aviemore)... enjoying all the roads up here though I have spotted a few speed traps...

Did see some interesting cars up in the cairngorms yesterday - including Astons, Bentleys, McClarens etc...
-- Gannet.
ImageImage
gannet

Return to Advanced Driving Forum