rospa in bristol area

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby DugS » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Fancy a change, more guidance on my driving.

I know there are a few on here who have taken part in the rospa course around bristol. whereabouts is the nearest group ?
1 years driving experience and 13 years of guessing....
DugS

Postby jont » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:15 pm

http://www.roada-avongroup.org/
Even have meetings at BAWA, just not as often as IAM. Generally you're paired up with a tutor and left to get on with it between the pair of you, there aren't any classroom sessions as such, although the group meetings may include things of interest to associate members.

Poke discodriver if you need more info, he's on the committee.
jont

Postby waremark » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:31 am

DugS, are you already part of Bristol IAM? Bristol IAM sounds like such an exceptional group that I am surprised that anyone would consider Rospa in that area.
waremark

Postby DugS » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:55 am

yeah but can't I be a member of both?
1 years driving experience and 13 years of guessing....
DugS

Postby jont » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:41 am

waremark wrote:DugS, are you already part of Bristol IAM? Bristol IAM sounds like such an exceptional group that I am surprised that anyone would consider Rospa in that area.

Gee, thanks Mark :roll: /Bristol Roadar observer.
While I agree the IAM group is very active, I don't know how visible that is outside of the group - ie if you're not already a member you may not realise how active the group is. And just because the Rospa group is smaller/less active doesn't mean you won't learn anything new :P :lol:
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:38 pm

We just don't shout as loudly :P
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:We just don't shout as loudly :P

Despite encouragement, you didn't heckle me [much] ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby martine » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:50 pm

I quite agree with Jont...it's true Avon ROSPA are smaller than Bristol IAM but hey, size isn't everything (now where have I heard that before?). Go for it Dugs...I'm sure you'll enjoy it and find it worthwhile.

I keep meaning to follow up my application to join ROSPA...the form is lurking in my briefcase somewhere.

Thanks waremark for the compliment by the way...glad it comes across that way...might be all smoke and mirrors though!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby waremark » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:40 pm

DugS wrote:yeah but can't I be a member of both?

I am (actually, I don't belong to a local ROADAR group, just the national body).

Sorry to you Bristol ROADAR folk for the apparent insult.It's just that in many areas if you want help and encouragement to develop your driving beyond the standard of the initial advanced driving test, you have to join ROADAR (or go commercial). In Bristol that is not the case.
waremark

Postby Mike H » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:27 pm

As a member of both I don't see the problem here ;)
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Return to Advanced Driving Forum