Tyres...

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Standard Dave » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Is tyre safe connected to the tyre industry ? either fitters or manfacturers.

I would say the increasing cost and people fitting used tyres etc probably accounts for the rise in casualties.

Also the fact less people know anything about how to check or mantain a vehicle something promoted by the whole motoring industry by making parts hard to reach and introducing special tools to make it much easier to return a car to the dealer for any work to be carried out. The number of user servicable parts must have decreased dramatically over the last 15 years.
Standard Dave

Postby michael769 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Standard Dave wrote:Is tyre safe connected to the tyre industry ? either fitters or manfacturers.

Both with a load of insurers and manufacturers to boot.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby martine » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:54 pm

I suppose it makes sense that if times are tight financially, some people will economise on tyres and replacement. I also know occassionally we get people turn up for observed drives on our 'Skill for Life' course with illegal tyres...and they are meant to be the keen ones.

It's easy to miss a bald edge especially if it's on the inside of the tyre and I guess many people rely on the garage routine servicing/MOT to pick this up. I bet the car servicing industry is also noticing a downturn in the current climate.

You'd think new drivers would know the legal requirements as it's one of the 19 'show me/tell me' questions on the driving test but even then it's probably laziness or lack of knowledge of how to test the depth that lets them down.

I notice Tyresafe quote the AA/RAC attended 825,000 tyre related breakdowns in one year...that seems like a lot but I bet most of those will be straightforward punctures not necessarily through dodgy tyres.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby michael769 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:08 pm

martine wrote:
I notice Tyresafe quote the AA/RAC attended 825,000 tyre related breakdowns in one year...that seems like a lot but I bet most of those will be straightforward punctures not necessarily through dodgy tyres.

Almost certainly. Somehow I doubt people check their tyres mid journey and think "oh noes it's just dropped below 1.6".
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Ralge » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 pm

The lack of knowledge of tyre and tread performance in the general driving population is quite pronounced.
The DSA compound it by requiring of learners (and of learner instructors?) that they know only of the legal minimum tread and there's nothing in the script to give new drivers informed speed and space choices in the wet. So there you go, Johnny and Janet know as little about their tyres as Mum and Dad and a lot less than the average German, say.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:04 am

I have to admit, I do like their 20p test, assuming of course that you happen to have a 20p. I do get asked from time to time (mainly by the mother in law) "How long/many miles should my tyres last?" to which I suggest with this method. I do try to check mine regularly, for pressure, tread and obvious sidewall damage.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby dth » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 pm

Ralge wrote:The lack of knowledge of tyre and tread performance in the general driving population is quite pronounced.
The DSA compound it by requiring of learners (and of learner instructors?) that they know only of the legal minimum tread and there's nothing in the script to give new drivers informed speed and space choices in the wet. So there you go, Johnny and Janet know as little about their tyres as Mum and Dad and a lot less than the average German, say.

But that is more to do with the quality of instruction (ADIs) rather than of testing (DSA). A decent instructor will inform his or her clients of as much detail as is possible with regard to tyre maintenance and technology. The DSA will expect instructors to teach to the highest standard even though their testing is based on the minimum standard acceptable.

ADIs then have to address the problem of attitude of the learner which will have been driven by a variety of environments and triggers etc.
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Postby Astraist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:21 pm

My view on the subject of tyres, as well as dampers, is that they are significant in more than one way, and the other way is poorly under rated. As of today, professionals in the fields of tyres (engineers, tyre fitters, tyre companies, the said article, etc...) are giving too much of a stress to the "secondary" or "passive" safety features of the tyre. i.e. it's ability to withstand pressure and not blow-out. For this end, even a bone-dry five year old tire with two millimeters of tread depth and 80,000 miles - will do.

However! I always address the subject of tyres from a primary or "active" safety perspective. A tyre needs to be more than just a piece of rubber that doesn't tear to bits as you drive. It should give you sufficient grip for cornering and mainly for braking in the event that a sudden stop is due.

True, this standard is not as easy to measure as a tyre's ressistance to rupture, but there usually is some limit you can true as to when the grip level of the tyre drops so dramatically that the stopping distances become all too long. I doubt that this factor has even been considered when collisions involving tyres are counted. If it was - the number of collisions that happened with the contribution of bad tyres would have increased dramatically.

I've found that tyres normaly age so much within merely three years, that they usually become unworthy of use even even if they have very few miles on them. In better weather conditions they can last longer, but I cannot imagine a tyre's compound remaining reasonably grippy after four years total.

The point is not to replace it when it breaks, or just before that, but replace it as a form of maintainence. The same applies for dampers. Sadly, leastways in my country, they only get replaced once they fail by squirting oil or getting stuck. However, even a damper with no hint of leakage becomes very "sloppy", so to speak, within 40-50 thousand miles and seriously reduces grip.
Astraist

Return to Advanced Driving Forum