Fit to drive

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:18 am

What do you, if anything, do to ensure that you are?
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Kevin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:52 am

Short-term:
I do my best to ensure that I've had sufficient rest/good night's sleep before a long day's driving.
I don't have alcohol or, if drinking the night before, only a couple of units. (A bottle of wine is 'one' unit, isn't it?)

Medium-term:
I had my 5-year LGV medical yesterday and there were no problems.

Long-term:
I could do with taking more exercise, eating a bit more healthily (my cholesteral is 6.28 according to an Activia-sponsered blood test done at my local Sainsbury's recently) and losing a bit (oh, ok, two stone :roll: ) of weight.
Kevin

Postby fungus » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Kevin wrote:(A bottle of wine is 'one' unit, isn't it?)

That would be a very weak wine indeed. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I do drink real ale.

A 500ml bottle of Old Crafty Hen fine ale at 6.5% vol = 3.3 units. Ringwood Brewerys' Old Thumper at 5.6% vol = 2.8 units per 500ml. IIRC, 500ml at 5% vol =2.5 units of alcohol.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:13 pm

I hadn't considered it in a short/medium/long term view before but:

Short term:
Try to get adequate rest. If I know I'm tired, I'll caffeinate or avoid driving if possible. I try to leave emotions outside the car (easier said than done sometimes).

Medium term:
???

Long term:
I'm considering laser eye treatment.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby bbllr87 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:48 am

Kevin wrote:A bottle of wine is 'one' unit, isn't it?

Yes, it's 'one' unit in the same way that a cream cake has 'zero' calories!! :wink:
Anita.
IAM Member since 2004. Love driving with roof down, just not in traffic jams!
Crew member in Clipper 13-14 Round the World Yacht Race.
Check out my blog at http://anitasailsagain.com
bbllr87

Postby Kevin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:58 am

bbllr87 wrote:
Kevin wrote:A bottle of wine is 'one' unit, isn't it?

Yes, it's 'one' unit in the same way that a cream cake has 'zero' calories!! :wink:

Yeah! A cream cake diet it is then. I should see the pounds just fall off. :D
Kevin

Postby Astraist » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:Short term: Try to get adequate rest. If I know I'm tired, I'll caffeinate or avoid driving if possible. I try to leave emotions outside the car (easier said than done sometimes).

And do you feel that caffiene or any other kind of food or beverage can compensate for fatigue? I sure don't.

My everyday work often involves ridiculous working hours, but as an advanced driver I have a saying that: "The only solution for tiredness is sleep." Any and all other solutions can be either temporary or even inefficient. For instance, caffiene causes a lapse in concentration after it's initial effect, and it can also cause headaches (especially on an empty stomach) and makes for a lot of, ah, well, urine... :wink:

I always issue myself (and anyone I instruct) at least seven hours of sleep each night before driving, more before long journies (at least nine hours), with a possibility to lose a few hours in one night of the week alone.
Astraist

Postby Ancient » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:18 pm

"The only solution for tiredness is sleep" would be true if the only cause of tiredness was lack of sleep. In fact, the feeling of tiredness can have many other causes, from infection, through excessive cold or heat, to simple hunger (low blood sugar causes the brain to try to conserve energy). Lack of adequate nutrition is a known cause of tiredness and taking on food and warm drink is a positive measure in combating this. Since the digestive mechanism also tends to shut down the brain after a large meal, the temporary stimulant effect of caffeine is useful to cover the period until the digested meal is releasing sugars into the bloodstream for the brain to use.

So yes, food and beverage wisely chosen can combat drowsiness and fatigue.
Ancient

Postby jcochrane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Ancient wrote:"The only solution for tiredness is sleep" would be true if the only cause of tiredness was lack of sleep. In fact, the feeling of tiredness can have many other causes, from infection, through excessive cold or heat, to simple hunger (low blood sugar causes the brain to try to conserve energy). Lack of adequate nutrition is a known cause of tiredness and taking on food and warm drink is a positive measure in combating this. Since the digestive mechanism also tends to shut down the brain after a large meal, the temporary stimulant effect of caffeine is useful to cover the period until the digested meal is releasing sugars into the bloodstream for the brain to use.

So yes, food and beverage wisely chosen can combat drowsiness and fatigue.

Also if your diabetic too much sugar in your blood will make you tired.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby michael769 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:30 am

jcochrane wrote:
Also if your diabetic too much sugar in your blood will make you tired.

You don't need to be diabetic either. Binge eating - especially where refined sugar is concerned can cause the same effect in healthy people.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby michael769 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:32 am

Astraist wrote:
I always issue myself (and anyone I instruct) at least seven hours of sleep each night before driving, more before long journies (at least nine hours), with a possibility to lose a few hours in one night of the week alone.

Many people are actually incapable of sleeping much more that 7-8 hours a day. 9 is close to an impossibility for most adults unless that are significantly sleep deprived.

When it comes to sleep patterns there is no one size fits all advice, a few people, for example, require significantly less than 6 hours a day.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby TripleS » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:41 pm

michael769 wrote:
Astraist wrote:

Many people are actually incapable of sleeping much more that 7-8 hours a day. 9 is close to an impossibility for most adults unless that are significantly sleep deprived.

When it comes to sleep patterns there is no one size fits all advice, a few people, for example, require significantly less than 6 hours a day.

As one who frequently has difficulty in clocking up a reasonable number of hours sleeping - which might partially explain my periodic rattiness on here - I must admit to being a bit amused by the notion of being 'issued' with a particular number of hours of sleep.

I would therefore be grateful if Astraist could arrange to issue me with something nearer eight hours nightly, rather than my customary three or four.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby brianhaddon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:26 pm

TripleS wrote:I would therefore be grateful if Astraist could arrange to issue me with something nearer eight hours nightly, rather than my customary three or four.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I have a theory that it relates to orbiting the sun. The more times you go round the more difficult it seems to go to sleep. Perhaps you are getting dizzy. I have been round the sun quite a few times and only manage 5-6 hours sometimes 4. I know you started going round the sun a few years before me Dave and I haven't really finalised my study but it seems to pointing in that direction. I am sure it is nothing to do with staying up late and reading the driving forums.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby jcochrane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:25 pm

brianhaddon wrote:
TripleS wrote:I would therefore be grateful if Astraist could arrange to issue me with something nearer eight hours nightly, rather than my customary three or four.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I have a theory that it relates to orbiting the sun. The more times you go round the more difficult it seems to go to sleep. Perhaps you are getting dizzy. I have been round the sun quite a few times and only manage 5-6 hours sometimes 4. I know you started going round the sun a few years before me Dave and I haven't really finalised my study but it seems to pointing in that direction. I am sure it is nothing to do with staying up late and reading the driving forums.
Regards
Brian Haddon

Sorry to upset your theory Brian but for most of my life I've only needed 3 hours sleep. With my advancing age I now need 4 and sometimes 5. Back to the drawing board.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby brianhaddon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:59 am

jcochrane wrote:
brianhaddon wrote:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Regards
Brian Haddon

Sorry to upset your theory Brian but for most of my life I've only needed 3 hours sleep. With my advancing age I now need 4 and sometimes 5. Back to the drawing board.

Rats!
Regards mumble mumble
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum