IAM IMI???

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Lady Godiva » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi everyone - I've heard a couple of people refer to the IMI in the IAM. It's not the Masters, or SA, or F1RST, but I can't find anything about it on the IAM website. I thought I had seen someone on here refer to it so I thought I would ask on here first. I've tried to work out what it may be but can't, so your help would be most appreciated.

Best wishes
Sally
Lady Godiva

Postby MikeG » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:34 pm

It's a proposed observer qualification. I think it's being trialled in certain areas. Not heard much about it lately.
This is from a news letter . . .

new competency-based recognition for iam observers
As you are no doubt aware by now we are introducing new qualification standards for observers, accredited by the IMI (Institute of the Motor Industry). At present 142 candidates from the pilot regions, two and six, have registered. Assessment will take place from the
23 July, carried out by staff examiners.
Training and assessment is essential to maintain a consistent standard across observers, in much the same way we recommend continuous learning to drivers and riders. For many observers it is also important
to gain official recognition of their standard, while improving their driving or riding and training abilities.
Shown below is a summary of the programme. If you have any questions please contact Amanda Smith, amanda.smith@iam.org.uk, but remember that we are only piloting this new system in regions two and six at this stage.
1. The IAM is introducing two new observer grades: local observer and national observer.
2. Local observers are a direct replacement for the current qualified observer.
3. National observers will replace senior observers, but they (and their group committee) will be able to decide whether they take on training and assessing of local observers, or just stick to observing associates.
4. National observers will be qualified to a higher standard than local observers, giving observers an opportunity
for continued professional
development.
5. The assessment of local
observers will be done by a selected national observer, who must be approved by the awarding body (IMI Awards).
6. The assessment of national observers will be done by IAM staff examiners, verified
by a second staff examiner.
7. Both qualifications will be accredited by the IMI Awards (an educational awarding body who work mainly with the
motor industry) giving local and national observers a recognised qualification.
8. The local observer training course comprises five units:
• attitude
• driving skills
• demonstration skills
• observing skills
• organisational skills and
knowledge.
9. The national observer training
course has six units – the above plus self-evaluation – which are assessed at a higher level than for local observers.
10. There is no “written paper” in either assessment, and current qualified and senior observers should have no difficulty meeting the performance standards and competencies required of the equivalent new grades.
Group insight
If you have any ideas or schemes in your group that you think would be useful to others, please let us know. We will compile all these ideas in
the groups section of the website.
A recent suggestion was a website which provides free QR codes. Any ideas to ben.schofield@iam.org.uk. Go on, share the knowledge.

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby Lady Godiva » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks Mike - that's exactly the information I needed and full of detail. I have read about the new observer qualifications and can see now how it ties in with the IMI.

Best wishes
Sally
Lady Godiva

Postby MikeG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Your more than welcome, glad to be of assistance :wink:

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Return to Advanced Driving Forum