Parking in gear?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby dth » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:06 pm

jasonh wrote:
Kevin wrote:In gear and steering set accordingly, but only when on a slope.

Slink_Pink wrote:I ask because I currently fall into the "on slope" category, but Roadar starting/stopping drill requires always parking in gear.

I didn't know that :oops: .

Nor did I - they never told me that when I went to RoADAR.................

So I ask again, please, where does it say that?

Thanks
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Postby gannet » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:56 pm

I always park in gear... and so now does mrs gannet after her car parked on our sloped drive slid down the drive into the new garage door...

ok so it had just snowed and it was a newly laid drive still with sand on it... but the handbrake was weak...

we now have chocks as well :oops:
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby The Thinker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:52 am

The only real response about leaving cars in neutral on the flat was that it might lunge when started, and this may cause damage if unfortunately positioned (i.e. too close to a wall or an unfortuate person walking close to the car may get a fright), but a good start up procedure would fix this.

On slopes gear 1 if facing uphill and reverse if downhill, i.e. against the way gravity would want to move the car to add additional braking in the event that the handbrake system fails. On the flat there is no gravity issue but may help if your car was shunted. Weighing up this balance I choose to put in gear in this situation as I trust myself with the start up procedure (I don't have other drivers to worry about).

On a slope front wheels positioned so that they should hit the kerb first, an additional chock. On the flat probably makes sense if there is a kerb to pick one way chance a better of the car stopping quicker if shunted.
The Thinker

Postby Ancient » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:52 am

Silk wrote:
Ancient wrote:I only leave the car in gear on slopes. No disadvantage I am aware of in leaving it in gear when on the flat, just I try to make every driving decision with deliberation ('is this safe/legal/necessary?') rather than automatically. Of course, most of the actions involved in physically driving are now 'automatic' and our minds will build up a network of familiarity with situations which actually helps us drive safely (experienced drivers have built up a 'picture' of how many types of junction and other interactions with other road users work); but the decision points: Go/no-go, this surface therefore this speed, how do I park here, I deliberately try to make on a conscious level as an unconscious decision is too easily 'fooled' by endogenous factors.

I'm going to take issue with this, if I may.

Whilst I agree that there are many things that drivers often do automatically that, IMO, should be deliberate, such as indicating and changing gear. There are also things that can and should be done automatically if doing them every time is of benefit. At least it then frees up a bit of brain power to concentrate on other things. For example, I don't have to "consider" using a seatbelt every time I get in the car.

Putting a car in gear, automatically, when it may not be absolutely necessary, is completely harmless. Not putting it in gear, when there could be a real chance of the handbrake failing could result in disater.

I had a Citroen BX many years ago where the handbrake would fail when the disks cooled down (it was a brand new car). I found out about it when one of the neighbours asked why my car was in the middle of the road - it could have been much worse. From that moment on, I have NEVER left a car parked out of gear.

We'll have to disagree then. When I park, I consider where I'm parking: What are the risks here and deal with them accordingly. On a slope, the risk of a handbrake failure means parking in gear is advantageous. On the flat where there may be a risk of a shunt (supermarket car park, flat road in town etc) then parking in gear may cause additional damage to the gear-box in that event. At home, where there is a slope leading to a sharp drop-off, then I park in gear - there is also little risk of a shunt! I'll always turn my wheels towards 'safety', which in turn means thinking about where 'safety' is (is there a kerb? What's the other side of it (a 30ft drop?)?). There are so many variables, that I prefer to consider each situation separately.
BTW, for me the seat-belt isn't automatic either :shock: : I live where field-gates abound and do not put my seat-belt on if I'm going to have to get out and open one within a minute or so.
Ancient

Postby Jack » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Always drop it into 1st or 2nd depending how im feeling :) when exiting the vehicle
Jack Norris
MKAM
IAM member and trainee observer
18 Y.O
Jack

Postby Silk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Ancient wrote:
Silk wrote:
Ancient wrote:I only leave the car in gear on slopes. No disadvantage I am aware of in leaving it in gear when on the flat, just I try to make every driving decision with deliberation ('is this safe/legal/necessary?') rather than automatically. Of course, most of the actions involved in physically driving are now 'automatic' and our minds will build up a network of familiarity with situations which actually helps us drive safely (experienced drivers have built up a 'picture' of how many types of junction and other interactions with other road users work); but the decision points: Go/no-go, this surface therefore this speed, how do I park here, I deliberately try to make on a conscious level as an unconscious decision is too easily 'fooled' by endogenous factors.

I'm going to take issue with this, if I may.

Whilst I agree that there are many things that drivers often do automatically that, IMO, should be deliberate, such as indicating and changing gear. There are also things that can and should be done automatically if doing them every time is of benefit. At least it then frees up a bit of brain power to concentrate on other things. For example, I don't have to "consider" using a seatbelt every time I get in the car.

Putting a car in gear, automatically, when it may not be absolutely necessary, is completely harmless. Not putting it in gear, when there could be a real chance of the handbrake failing could result in disater.

I had a Citroen BX many years ago where the handbrake would fail when the disks cooled down (it was a brand new car). I found out about it when one of the neighbours asked why my car was in the middle of the road - it could have been much worse. From that moment on, I have NEVER left a car parked out of gear.

We'll have to disagree then. When I park, I consider where I'm parking: What are the risks here and deal with them accordingly.

I can't be doing with all that. I just find a spot where the car will fit, handbrake on, enging off, in gear, cue the meerkat. Life's too short to faff about. The only serious consideration I give is whether or not the car will be in one piece when I get back, but that's the chance you take. There's not much you can do about that if you have to be somewhere and you need to park.
Silk

Postby Ancient » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 am

Silk wrote:I can't be doing with all that. I just find a spot where the car will fit, handbrake on, enging off, in gear, cue the meerkat. Life's too short to faff about. The only serious consideration I give is whether or not the car will be in one piece when I get back, but that's the chance you take. There's not much you can do about that if you have to be somewhere and you need to park.

Good luck with the floods :wink: . Avoid Bristol Frome from Nibley to Stapleton; Bristol Avon (lower) from Twerton to Bristol; Bristol Avon (middle) at Bradford on Avon; Bristol Avon (upper) from Malmesbury to Melksham. :D
Ancient

Postby Silk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Ancient wrote:
Silk wrote:I can't be doing with all that. I just find a spot where the car will fit, handbrake on, enging off, in gear, cue the meerkat. Life's too short to faff about. The only serious consideration I give is whether or not the car will be in one piece when I get back, but that's the chance you take. There's not much you can do about that if you have to be somewhere and you need to park.

Good luck with the floods :wink: . Avoid Bristol Frome from Nibley to Stapleton; Bristol Avon (lower) from Twerton to Bristol; Bristol Avon (middle) at Bradford on Avon; Bristol Avon (upper) from Malmesbury to Melksham. :D

I was thinking about when I have to park in some of the more interesting areas of Birmingham, or any supermarket car park - I'm not sure which is worse.
Silk

Postby Slink_Pink » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:49 pm

dth wrote:...

So I ask again, please, where does it say that?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay, haven't visited for a while. It is stated in a guide that I have been given by my tutor (I don't know how freely available it is so I can't publish it) however, it is stated as...
My Roadar Guide wrote:The Starting Drill shown here is the one taught to students on both the Police Standard and Advanced Driving Courses and is the one we encourage our members to use.

I had therefore assumed that this was a Roadar viewpoint, but perhaps it isn't.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Sounds like a personally created guide by a local group. We have a similar one, created by one of our former training officers. It doesn't mention anything about leaving the car in gear. There is no nationally RoADAR approved cockpit startup/shutdown drill, that I am aware of, everyone has their favourite checklist.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Sounds like a personally created guide by a local group. We have a similar one, created by one of our former training officers. It doesn't mention anything about leaving the car in gear. There is no nationally RoADAR approved cockpit startup/shutdown drill, that I am aware of, everyone has their favourite checklist.

Yes, I see that this is probably the case. I believe, however, that it was created by a frequent local examiner so it's probably a good idea for me to follow it closely for the time being.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum