Parking in gear?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby michael769 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:28 am

Slink_Pink wrote:
I ask because I currently fall into the "on slope" category, but Roadar starting/stopping drill requires always parking in gear.

I have to say that in both my tests I never did this and it was never mentioned by the Examiner. Indeed only one (out of 4) tutors ever brought it up.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Standard Dave » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:40 pm

I assume those that turn the wheels on a slope are driving newer vehicles which don't have a mechanical steering lock in the column as you can't apply that factory fitted security device when the wheels aren't straight. Do you know what your insurance company would say if the vehicle was stolen in such circumstances ?

All of the circumstances for parking a vehicle are very much vehicle and environment specific so having a hard and fast rule of always doing something probably isn't an appropriate route for a training organisation.
Standard Dave

Postby Fignon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:52 pm

In gear, no advantage not to.

Saw a bump in a car park when a handbrake cable snapped. To the eye the car park looks flat but the car moved from one lane to another before hitting a parked car. Could easily have hit a pedestrian.
Fignon

Postby michael769 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Standard Dave wrote:I assume those that turn the wheels on a slope are driving newer vehicles which don't have a mechanical steering lock in the column as you can't apply that factory fitted security device when the wheels aren't straight. Do you know what your insurance company would say if the vehicle was stolen in such circumstances ?

In every single car I have driven it has been possible to engage the steering lock when the wheels are turned.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Renny » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Usually in gear. Habit from driving cars with poor parking brakes: Minis, Land Rover, Opel and now BMW :roll:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby dth » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:I ask because I currently fall into the "on slope" category, but Roadar starting/stopping drill requires always parking in gear.

Where does it say that?
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Postby kwaka jack » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Only on a slope.
kwaka jack

Postby The Thinker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:53 am

Whats the issue with in gear not on a slope?
The Thinker

Postby Standard Dave » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 pm

michael769 wrote:
Standard Dave wrote:I assume those that turn the wheels on a slope are driving newer vehicles which don't have a mechanical steering lock in the column as you can't apply that factory fitted security device when the wheels aren't straight. Do you know what your insurance company would say if the vehicle was stolen in such circumstances ?

In every single car I have driven it has been possible to engage the steering lock when the wheels are turned.

I found it very difficult to engage and disengage the steering lock on Fords and Vauxhalls which are not lined up dead straight.

My Subaru doesn't have a steering lock, what does everyones vehicle handbook say about applying the steering lock and leaving a stationary vehicle in gear ?
Standard Dave

Postby Hiijinx » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:38 pm

I always leave it in first/reverse depending on slope, if any.

Curious as to the people who only do it on slopes, is there some disadvantage leaving it in gear such as gear/clutch wear that I am not aware of?
Hiijinx

Postby Ancient » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:00 pm

I only leave the car in gear on slopes. No disadvantage I am aware of in leaving it in gear when on the flat, just I try to make every driving decision with deliberation ('is this safe/legal/necessary?') rather than automatically. Of course, most of the actions involved in physically driving are now 'automatic' and our minds will build up a network of familiarity with situations which actually helps us drive safely (experienced drivers have built up a 'picture' of how many types of junction and other interactions with other road users work); but the decision points: Go/no-go, this surface therefore this speed, how do I park here, I deliberately try to make on a conscious level as an unconscious decision is too easily 'fooled' by endogenous factors.
Ancient

Postby Silk » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:Do you or don't you? Why? (sorry if this has been done to death before)

It takes no time at all and adds an extra level of safety.

The question should be, "why wouldn't you?"

If people have a problem with putting it in neutral and putting their foot on the clutch (just to make sure) before turning the key, the resulting jolt should ram the point home, especially if if the previous driver (deliberately?) leaves the car parked 6" from a brick wall. ;-) In fact, the daft cow next door damaged our garden wall to the point where it had to be completely rebuilt because her husband had left the car parked up close and in gear.

Checking that the car is out of gear befrore starting the engine is fundamental stuff. It's one of the first things (If not THE first thing) that new drivers are taught on the very first lesson before they go anywhere.

If people can't be trusted to get this right, what hope is there?

Rant over, where's my tablets. :-)
Silk

Postby Silk » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Ancient wrote:I only leave the car in gear on slopes. No disadvantage I am aware of in leaving it in gear when on the flat, just I try to make every driving decision with deliberation ('is this safe/legal/necessary?') rather than automatically. Of course, most of the actions involved in physically driving are now 'automatic' and our minds will build up a network of familiarity with situations which actually helps us drive safely (experienced drivers have built up a 'picture' of how many types of junction and other interactions with other road users work); but the decision points: Go/no-go, this surface therefore this speed, how do I park here, I deliberately try to make on a conscious level as an unconscious decision is too easily 'fooled' by endogenous factors.

I'm going to take issue with this, if I may.

Whilst I agree that there are many things that drivers often do automatically that, IMO, should be deliberate, such as indicating and changing gear. There are also things that can and should be done automatically if doing them every time is of benefit. At least it then frees up a bit of brain power to concentrate on other things. For example, I don't have to "consider" using a seatbelt every time I get in the car.

Putting a car in gear, automatically, when it may not be absolutely necessary, is completely harmless. Not putting it in gear, when there could be a real chance of the handbrake failing could result in disater.

I had a Citroen BX many years ago where the handbrake would fail when the disks cooled down (it was a brand new car). I found out about it when one of the neighbours asked why my car was in the middle of the road - it could have been much worse. From that moment on, I have NEVER left a car parked out of gear.
Silk

Postby jcochrane » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Silk wrote:
Ancient wrote:I only leave the car in gear on slopes. No disadvantage I am aware of in leaving it in gear when on the flat, just I try to make every driving decision with deliberation ('is this safe/legal/necessary?') rather than automatically. Of course, most of the actions involved in physically driving are now 'automatic' and our minds will build up a network of familiarity with situations which actually helps us drive safely (experienced drivers have built up a 'picture' of how many types of junction and other interactions with other road users work); but the decision points: Go/no-go, this surface therefore this speed, how do I park here, I deliberately try to make on a conscious level as an unconscious decision is too easily 'fooled' by endogenous factors.

I'm going to take issue with this, if I may.

Whilst I agree that there are many things that drivers often do automatically that, IMO, should be deliberate, such as indicating and changing gear. There are also things that can and should be done automatically if doing them every time is of benefit. At least it then frees up a bit of brain power to concentrate on other things. For example, I don't have to "consider" using a seatbelt every time I get in the car.

Putting a car in gear, automatically, when it may not be absolutely necessary, is completely harmless. Not putting it in gear, when there could be a real chance of the handbrake failing could result in disater.

I had a Citroen BX many years ago where the handbrake would fail when the disks cooled down (it was a brand new car). I found out about it when one of the neighbours asked why my car was in the middle of the road - it could have been much worse. From that moment on, I have NEVER left a car parked out of gear.

I always leave gear engaged. Like you a lesson learned from owning Alfasuds. The hand brake operated inboard and on the front. Not good after a brisk drive if you wanted your car to stay parked in one place. Also previously owned a couple of Saabs. Handbrake again working on the front. In these cars reverse gear had to be selectaed before the ignition key could be removed. Some cars I get to drive have poor handbrakes anyway so to develop the habit of leaving the car in gear I think is good practice. On circuits I would also leave the car in gear and also with the handbrake off.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby jasonh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Kevin wrote:In gear and steering set accordingly, but only when on a slope.

Slink_Pink wrote:I ask because I currently fall into the "on slope" category, but Roadar starting/stopping drill requires always parking in gear.

I didn't know that :oops: .

Nor did I - they never told me that when I went to RoADAR.................
IAM April 2008
jasonh

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum