Gritter

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:04 am

What is the best, or perhaps correct, way to pass a gritter while it's gritting?

For the sake of argument, let's say it's a two-lane dual carriageway, evening/night (i.e. dark), temperature still above 0ºC, gritter using lane 1, travelling around 40mph, with the normal d/c restriction of 70mph for cars. Traffic is light so no other cars will be likely to interfere with any overtaking attempted.*

I'll take for granted that one should move as far offside as is reasonably possible.

How would you proceed?

*sorry to be so specific about conditions, but I hope it helps keep any responses on topic!
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Standard Dave » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:30 am

Same way I would pass a HGV in heavy rain.

Go offside out of the zone of the grit then pass a quickly as possible.

Passing slowly would lead to more potential damage from grit as it would sweep onto your car several times rather than just once as is possible with a high speed pass.
Standard Dave

Postby dombooth » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:37 am

I wouldn't because I like the paintwork on my car. :lol:

In fact I avoid gritters like hell!

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby Renny » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Standard Dave wrote:Same way I would pass a HGV in heavy rain.

Passing slowly would lead to more potential damage from grit as it would sweep onto your car several times rather than just once as is possible with a high speed pass.

I agree with Dave. Pass decisively, keep as far across as safe.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Wait for a junction with a roundabout, the gritter's likely to do a loop then back on.

If it doesn't, can you exit, negotiate the island, then return to the main carriageway fast enough? :lol: :wink:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Big Err » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:03 pm

If you are following a gritter that is not spreading, give it plenty of room at junctions as its route may only involve slip roads, or from a junction.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone hard up the tail of a gritter at the start of a motorway diverge getting a face full of salt when the spinner starts! :lol:
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Standard Dave wrote:Same way I would pass a HGV in heavy rain.

Yes, this is also my technique. Just wondered if anyone was in favour of crawling past and if so why.

Horse wrote:...If it doesn't, can you exit, negotiate the island, then return to the main carriageway fast enough? :lol: :wink:

Oh so tempting... :D
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Standard Dave » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:21 pm

Big Err wrote:If you are following a gritter that is not spreading, give it plenty of room at junctions as its route may only involve slip roads, or from a junction.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone hard up the tail of a gritter at the start of a motorway diverge getting a face full of salt when the spinner starts! :lol:

Most of the drivers I see turn the amber beacons on at least 10 seconds before they start spreading not much more they can do about the stupidity of some drivers.
Standard Dave

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Remember it's really just rock salt. Hard, but soluble. In modern gritters it may be pre-wetted anyway as it goes further and is more effective.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:03 pm

Hurts like F.... if your on a bike :!:
exportmanuk

Return to Advanced Driving Forum