IAM MASTERS TEST

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:09 am

jameslb101 wrote:
jcochrane wrote:"...for other groups (older folk, who visibly can't keep up with the mental process of driving) retesting would bring great gains."

Hey what's all this about us older folk. :lol:

It was you I had in mind when I wrote that :wink:

My secrets out then. People say I look very calm and relaxed when I drive but the truth is I'm having a little doze. :oops:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Gareth » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:41 pm

jameslb101 wrote:I'd wager putting the same driver in a car of more power would make only a negligible impact on their propensity to bin it.

I'd say putting an inexperienced driver in a car with much greater acceleration is likely to increase the chances of them not managing to keep the shiny side looking nice. If, for example, I had an E39 M5 I certainly wouldn't let an inexperienced driver get behind the wheel because they probably won't have developed enough skill and finesse, nor will they be able to make accurate assessments without conciously thinking about it. These things takes lots of practice.

jameslb101 wrote:Attitude has a far greater bearing on safety than "skill".

I think it is possible to break this down further. Immature (not meant in the pejorative sense) drivers don't believe they can die, so this colours their approach to hazardous situations. Disengaged drivers aren't focused on the task at hand. When both of these have been overcome then attitude can make a difference.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby waremark » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Gareth wrote:
jameslb101 wrote:I'd wager putting the same driver in a car of more power would make only a negligible impact on their propensity to bin it.

I'd say putting an inexperienced driver in a car with much greater acceleration is likely to increase the chances of them not managing to keep the shiny side looking nice. If, for example, I had an E39 M5 I certainly wouldn't let an inexperienced driver get behind the wheel because they probably won't have developed enough skill and finesse, nor will they be able to make accurate assessments without conciously thinking about it. These things takes lots of practice.

On the other hand I suggest that the inexperienced driver might actually be safer in a car with 100 bhp than one with 70 - but insurance ensures that they have to take the lowest performance variant of each model.

Incidentally today I was driven round the track in a 400 bhp car by the youngest member of HPC, aged 18 - impeccably, but of course he cannot drive that sort of car on the road. I understand he took the course in the coaches 911. No, I don't understand how he reached the necessary very high standard so young! But I am satisfied that he would not have been admitted to the club if his road driving was not reliably at the necessary high standard.
waremark

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:17 pm

waremark wrote:No, I don't understand how he reached the necessary very high standard so young! But I am satisfied that he would not have been admitted to the club if his road driving was not reliably at the necessary high standard.

Maybe it has something to do with his Dad's driving, which is not too shabby either ;)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Except, the majority of drivers on our roads are not interested in attaining any Advanced recognition.
Nor does Government encourage such.
Face it, AD is a minority, a very small one's, concern.
Which is why we see the continuing restrictions in relation to speed limits and why those in power can't wait to get "black boxes" into all vehicles.
"Lowest common denominator" is how legislators work.
Modern digital technology provides the means for the control.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby jcochrane » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:32 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
waremark wrote:No, I don't understand how he reached the necessary very high standard so young! But I am satisfied that he would not have been admitted to the club if his road driving was not reliably at the necessary high standard.

Maybe it has something to do with his Dad's driving, which is not too shabby either ;)

Very true I shared another great drive with the Dad a couple of weeks ago. I think his son had the best role model possible and I certainly look forward to driving with his son sometime in the future.
jcochrane

Postby jcochrane » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:37 am

mefoster wrote:I had the pleasure of taking the young gentleman in question out at YDD this year. I can corroborate that his road driving is remarkably impressive and displays a maturity of driving far beyond his years. I was very pleased to hear that he had gone on to take the full course and join the club and I am not at all surprised that he drives as well on track as Mark describes.

His father told me of his son's success at the beginning of November and what is even more remarkable was that his son was still only 17 when he qualified for HPC membership. To say his father was well chuffed is to put it mildly. :D
jcochrane

Postby fungus » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 pm

jcochrane wrote:
mefoster wrote:I had the pleasure of taking the young gentleman in question out at YDD this year. I can corroborate that his road driving is remarkably impressive and displays a maturity of driving far beyond his years. I was very pleased to hear that he had gone on to take the full course and join the club and I am not at all surprised that he drives as well on track as Mark describes.

His father told me of his son's success at the beginning of November and what is even more remarkable was that his son was still only 17 when he qualified for HPC membership. To say his father was well chuffed is to put it mildly. :D

There is always an exception to the rule. The young man in question must have a deep interest in driving with a will to improve, and a maturity well above his years. He has obviously been fortunate in having a father who has been able to foster the correct attitude in his son due to his own interest and ability.

However, as a generalisation, I think Gareth is correct, and the vast majority simply don't have the maturity or interest to improve, which isn't surprising given the general publics attitude towards driving.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jameslb101 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:20 am

Going back to my last point, I just read this:

"...statistics that show 19 out of 20 road accidents are caused by poor attitude and behaviour, not vehicle-handling skills."

Full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... -life.html

Not that I read the Mail or anything... :oops:
jameslb101

Postby kfae8959 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:41 pm

"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby fungus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:11 pm

jameslb101 wrote:Going back to my last point, I just read this:

"...statistics that show 19 out of 20 road accidents are caused by poor attitude and behaviour, not vehicle-handling skills."

Full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... -life.html

Not that I read the Mail or anything... :oops:

Although the figures are correct, the article leads the reader to believe that these are the figures for accidents caused by young drivers, not for road users of all ages :roll: .
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:32 am

Happy New Year, Chris.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby Silk » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:39 pm

chriskay wrote:
jameslb101 wrote: for other groups (older folk, who visibly can't keep up with the mental process of driving) retesting would bring great gains.

I'm curious as to what the "great gains" would be, and for whom. If you mean that it would result in some older drivers having their licences revoked, why not just say so? :wink:

He'll be old himself one day. The signs are already starting to show - drives a Volvo; listens to Steely Dan. :wink:
Silk

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:16 pm

Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum