Christmas Spirit & Driving Philosophy

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby OldenBill » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi All.

Sadly, I am old enough to remember the "open" roads of the late 1940s & 50s when the gospel message of the Hendon Driving Manual/Roadcraft was "care, courtesy & consideration".

Today motoring has changed beyond all imagination to the point where congestion is the norm, frustration is suffered regularly by most of us and friction between drivers is perhaps at an all time high. Compounding this, the presence of traffic police on the roads in most areas has become virtually unknown (apart from the alleged unmarked cars) and enforcement is restricted to the detection by camera of very specific traffic offences. Many police drivers are no longer specially trained and often set a poor example.

My understanding of the philosophy of defensive driving has always been (and still is) that a responsible and competent driver should behave in what might be described as "passively" to other drivers, apologising for mistakes, forgiving those of others, refraining from reprimanding, giving way when safe to do so etc., etc. The Highway Code makes it clear that the horn should only be used as a warning instrument. The advanced driver should be composed, nay perfect in every way!!, and help others to improve their driving by his or her exemplary conduct on the road.

But how far should this go? Faced with a tailgater some ill advised drivers will brake dangerously hard; despite "merge in turn" others will close gaps to obstruct or pull out into the outer lane and hold back vehicles they consider queue jumpers; others use their horns unmercifully or wind down their windows and shout expletives if in their judgement another motorist has obstructed them. All these are unthinkable reactions for an advanced motorist but without policing is "turning the other cheek" always a solution?

What about the amber merchant at lights who hoots before the green? What about the impatient "can't you drive up the nearside kerb to make an extra lane for me" rager at junctions. How should one react to the tailgater who doesn't think others should be allowed to turn right or keep to the speed limit on a dual carriageway approaching a roundabout? Should we just smile at the the boxed junction blocker and bless the white delivery van that challenges us to reverse when the road is restricted to one lane by parked cars?

Is there a case for self help or should we always take the softer option by giving in? I really don't know and your views would be very greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas

Olden Bill. :D
OldenBill

Postby Ralge » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Always remembering that our roads make up for a lousy battleground works for me, even though I'm no saint - I too have been ready to reach for the imaginary warrant cards no end of times.

Turn such actual or potential confrontations into a positive i.e. be a better driver for spotting the idiot and keeping, moving away from him/her. The alternative is to turn into a finger-wagging teacher or policeman with fast-developing ulcers or palpitations as others fail when judged against MY standards.

Being an Advanced Driver is not a fixed-for-all-time, guaranteed position since it is bound to be continuously challenged. How I respond to others' mess BEFORE it becomes a problem for me defines me as a driver. Letting the halo slip, with the job I do, would simply be catastrophic.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby martine » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Nice post 'Olden' - you sum up modern driving quite well.

Many years ago I used to get quite wound up by other road users and whilst not engaging in any physical road rage, I would hoot and occassionally gesticulate when others did, what I classed, as something stupid or aggressive.

I think as you get older you get more chilled and doing my IAM test 11 years ago helped again. These days I really don't get involved at all. I can't remember when I last used my horn in any way outside the Highway Code recommendation- that doesn't mean I don't internally get a little frustrated or even angry but I really do try not to show it in my driving.

Tailgaters happen and only today I had a van unusually close behind on a 40mph limit road with me doing 40. :roll: It was extremely wet and when it became clear he was going to stay very close, I calmly put my indicator on and slowed gradually to a stop. Strangley he waited for a while behind me but then took the cue to overtake...I followed him at a respectful distance more relaxed that he was in front. He then came up close behind another car and almost did an overake whilst turning right :shock: - he clearly had a problem.

I've only pulled in like this a few times in the last 10 years - it feels great to get control back of one's own safety and I highly recommend it.

Other situations, I just keep well out of the way and let them have their accident somewhere else...confident in the knowledge the will have an accident and/or get points at sometime in the near future...karma?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby OldenBill » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks both of you. I found your remarks reassuring and helpful toward keeping the faith.

I loved martine's karma analogy.....................penalty points towards reincarnation.......... hopefully as a squashed hedgehog! :D

I suppose really my basic point was, yes, it's easy to overlook bad driving by others but not so when challenged by a calculating bully who is trying to steal your lawful rights on the Queens' Highway.

In non-road existence, we are advised to stand up to people whose criminal arrogance actually threatens our mutual rights as citizens, either by seeking police intervention when violence is threatened or, at the very least, by personal protest. The advanced driver seems to have no such recourse...........but hey, that's Christianity and it's Christmas.

Cheers, :roll:

Olden.
OldenBill

Return to Advanced Driving Forum