Dipped headlights:dangerous light pollution

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby brianhaddon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 pm

I must say I see both sides here, but liked the idea of dim-dip. I used to own a car with dim-dip and used it often. However I tend to use dipped lights unless conditions allow main beam. Mind you I hope those who use main beam on lit roads dip their lights for pedestrians, more than once I have been dazzled whilst walking the dogs around the village. Also I use my lights in the bright low winter sun. How often do you look ahead or in your mirror and just about see a silhouette? Lights make it much easier to pick out other traffic.
However just to contradict what I have written I do agree with the OP that there is too much light pollution these days!!
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby MGF » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:07 am

I agree that dipped lights conceal peds and cyclists in slow moving or queuing traffic. (I find the reflection of others' lights in my door mirrors irritating as well as brake lights). In these situations I use sidelights although the benefit is probably negligible as I appear to be the only one doing so. Once driving freely again I go back to dipped lights.

Does light really bend? :)
MGF

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 am

[quote="MGF" irritating as well as brake lights[/quote]

One of my pet hates too. Unfortunately I am now an offender as my latest car eco setting requires you to be stopped on the foot brake as soon as you apply the parking brake the engine restarts. :oops:

On the dipped head/side lights issue I agree they cause glare but most of the cars I see driving on side lights only have one working. I think Dipped headlight would be less of a problem if all the vehicle had them properly adjusted and drivers using HID bulb kits were prosecuted.
exportmanuk

Postby TripleS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby PeterE » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:24 pm

fungus wrote:I personally liked the dim dip idea.

What does annoy me is drivers who use dipped headlights in bright sunshine. I think it causes glare, especially if the roads are wet, and with the increase of DLRs, where the intensity is up to 50% brighter than dipped headlights, I think this over use of lights makes it more dangerous for road users such as motor cyclists, who are advised to use dipped beam to make themselves more visible, and cyclists.

I agree with Dave over drivers who park/sit in their car on the wrong side of the road with their headlights on. It really annoys me, and I know that I shouldn't retaliate, but I'm afraid that if there are no other road users about, they get full beam.

Agreed on every point. Dim-dip lights were an excellent idea that unfortunately fell victim to EU standardisation.

Many of the new DRLs are, to my eye, blindingly bright, and in a few years' time when most cars have them driving will become a significantly more unpleasant experience :shock:
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Silk » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:45 pm

TripleS wrote:
exportmanuk wrote:....my latest car eco setting requires you to be stopped on the foot brake as soon as you apply the parking brake the engine restarts. :oops:

That sounds odd, but then I'm not au fait with the way stop/start works. To me it doesn't seem logical that the engine starts when you apply the handbrake: that's the time when I'd expect the engine to stop. I also thought that the s/s system was influenced by a driver's use of the clutch pedal (and perhaps the brake pedal?). Oh hell, I'm confusing myself even more now!

Do all s/s cars follow a similar system?

I thought that was a bit odd as well. My current car has stop/start and the engine stops when in neutral with the clutch pedal released (handbrake optional). As soon as you press the clutch the engine starts.

The only other car I've driven with start/stop was a Vauxhall Astra and that worked the same way as my car - I assumed they all worked the same. Seems I could be wrong.
Silk

Postby jcochrane » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Silk wrote:
TripleS wrote:
exportmanuk wrote:....my latest car eco setting requires you to be stopped on the foot brake as soon as you apply the parking brake the engine restarts. :oops:

That sounds odd, but then I'm not au fait with the way stop/start works. To me it doesn't seem logical that the engine starts when you apply the handbrake: that's the time when I'd expect the engine to stop. I also thought that the s/s system was influenced by a driver's use of the clutch pedal (and perhaps the brake pedal?). Oh hell, I'm confusing myself even more now!

Do all s/s cars follow a similar system?

I thought that was a bit odd as well. My current car has stop/start and the engine stops when in neutral with the clutch pedal released (handbrake optional). As soon as you press the clutch the engine starts.

The only other car I've driven with start/stop was a Vauxhall Astra and that worked the same way as my car - I assumed they all worked the same. Seems I could be wrong.

My new car works the same as yours Steve but additionally the seat belt has to be worn as well.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby waremark » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:52 pm

In my experience of Stop/Start,the engines of manual cars stop when in neutral and the clutch is released. They start again when the clutch is pressed. This is very satisfactory.

But manufacturers obviously are unbothered about brake light glare.

Automatic cars are more variable. My son's Audi behaves as mentioned above - the engine is liable to restart if you apply the handbrake and release the footbrake. If the engine is not stopped at the time you do this it seems to let the clutch out and push against the parking brake for a few seconds. If you put it into park the engine stays stopped.

Modern Mercs have a footbrake hold feature which encourages you to leave the brake lights showing to the traffic behind. On the other hand in my wife's if you do choose to apply the electric parking brake the engine stays stopped.
waremark

Postby Gumby » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:39 pm

Interesting situation I came across yesterday morning when it was still relatively dark. Oncoming HGV in the distance with headlights on (could see him very well) but with a car in front with no lights on at all- I only saw the after looking twice when they were much much closer, it just blended into the general shape of HGV. Had the car had lights on, I would have been able to distinguish between the two much easier.

I wasn't overtaking btw!
Gumby

Postby wn1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:02 pm

"...it just blended into the general shape of HGV."

It would have been even more difficult to distinguish a pedal cycle with just one small spotlight at the front!
wn1

Postby fungus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:01 pm

wn1 wrote: "...it just blended into the general shape of HGV."

It would have been even more difficult to distinguish a pedal cycle with just one small spotlight at the front!

Or the lycra clad idiot in black and red lycra with no lights that I've just encountered whilst out walking the dog.

BTW. The dog has a High Vis jacket and flashing lead and collar.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum