IAM Skills Day

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby IanB » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:18 pm

oxtondriver wrote:Wow that is good quality from a mobile phone. Thought you were going to say it was a proper dash cam.

Thanks for all your help Ian.

No problem, I'll be looking out for a Focus ST at Croft. :D
IanB

Postby Estoril Sport » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:07 pm

I have attended three Skill day events all of which have been at the Stowe circuit at Silverstone, the first two events were very good indeed, however the last one was rather disappointing. The main issue was over subscription, the IAM dropped the price for the event so more attended.

I found myself just following the cars round the circuit without being able to progress through the bends as I could have done. On the Stowe circuit there are only two passing places, these are parallel to the pits and parallel to the main grandstand I found my self effectively stuck in traffic most of the time :cry: .

My anticipation might have been spoilt from my previous events as from the IAM viewpoint these might have been under subscribed. One particular event as there was only one session instead of the normal two due to the low numbers of applicants. However for me this was the best event in fact used nearly a tank full of fuel and have to refuel my tyres took a heavy pounding and they brake discs where a nice shade on blue. The instructor I had was excellent could not have wished better :D .

I assume the IAM generate the group of individuals based on the performance of cars (being a good selection of powerful and less powerful cars) not necessary on the number of times an individual has attended previous events. I wonder if the grouping should be based upon the car performance and the number of times an individual has attended a previous Skill Day event?

As my last Skill day event was so disappointing I have not attended a further event, as I fear of over subscription again. For me personally I would pay more so there is a lower number of cars on the circuit at the same time. Being fortunate to own a powerful car these Skill Day event are the only safe way I can enjoy the car performance to its true potential. I fear that the standard 'track day events' are rather unruly and a bit of a free for all!

If the IAM did decide to offer a more advanced Skill Day event only for individuals who are IAM members and have attended an event previously I would defiantly want to participate.
Last edited by Estoril Sport on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IAM Member since 2000 Car: Alpina B3 Bi Turbo For Sale at http://www.alpina-b3biturbo.co.uk
Estoril Sport

Postby SeanP » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:29 am

Do you mean the Stowe circuit at Silverstone, or the Croft Racing Circuit (way up North!)?
Long-term Roadcraft addict :) IAM (3/2009), RoSPA Gold (3/2010)
Mazda RX-8 R3. (Gone but not forgotten: Mazda RX-8 231PS, RIP 28/08/2009).
RX8 Owners Club, Youtube track-day vids
SeanP

Postby IanB » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:24 pm

SeanP wrote:Do you mean the Stowe circuit at Silverstone, or the Croft Racing Circuit (way up North!)?

I'd say Stowe as that description does not in any way fit the last three Croft events. It's first come, first served btw.
IanB

Postby martine » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Welcome 'estoril' - nice car by the way.

Estoril Sport wrote:I assume the IAM generate the group of individuals based on the performance of cars (being a good selection of powerful and less powerful cars) not necessary on the number of times an individual has attended previous events. I wonder if the grouping should be based upon the car performance and the number of times an individual has attended a previous Skill Day event?

There is no 'grouping' at all to my knowledge....whoever signs up and whatever car they have is pretty random I think.

Interesting idea to have different levels of Skills Day - speak to Paul Woozley at IAM HQ - I'm sure he'd be interested in your comments/suggestions.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Estoril Sport » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:37 pm

SeanP wrote:Do you mean the Stowe circuit at Silverstone, or the Croft Racing Circuit (way up North!)?

Sorry my mistake :oops: Yes you are correct it was the Stowe at Silverstone. Now original thread updated. :wink:

martine wrote:Welcome 'estoril' - nice car by the way.

Thanks martine for the complement :wink:
IAM Member since 2000 Car: Alpina B3 Bi Turbo For Sale at http://www.alpina-b3biturbo.co.uk
Estoril Sport

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum