Seeing red (or not)

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Slink_Pink » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 am

Why do so many drivers seem to struggle with the concept of a red light these days? This morning I saw two instances of this - first was a large number of people driving through a red X on the motorway, the second was a car (taxi) which seemed to get bored of waiting to proceed through a crossroads type junction so just barged in during the crossing traffic's phase. Would each of these offences attract the same punishment?

I'll admit that this is more of a rant than an AD post but someone has to keep this forum alive!
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:24 am

A couple of nights back I had a poligte 'word' with the manager of our local Domino's pizza place, regarding the driving 'style' of a delivery driver.

If you're going to go through red lights, don't do it in a car with a sign on the roof . . . :shock: :? :lol:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby fungus » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 am

It used to be amber gamblers, now it's red gamblers, and it's becoming increasingly common. Fleets Bridge Roundabout in Poole is one that sees a lot of this, especially on the exit from the A3049 Dorset Way.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=50.738849,-1 ... 3&t=h&z=18
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 am

Yes I've seen a few red gamblers recently but yesterday I was behind 2 drivers who had other variations of poor driving...

1st was one who crossed a green light in slow moving traffic but then stopped at the repeator light which was now red...let some pedestrians cross (which I could almost understand) and then remained firmly behind the red light...until I beeped them.

2nd was someone who stopped at a green light on a roundabout with a clear road ahead...until I beeped them.

:shock:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Seeing this more and more in the cities. Sheep syndrome seems to be the cause of most Total focus on the lights of the vehicle in front. I am waiting for someone to follow me up my drive some nights.

I did film some whilst on my bike but I gave up posting them as I could fill hours of video time on youtube with them.

Cheers
exportmanuk

Postby Standard Dave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:38 pm

Stopping at repeater lights is quite common, well for morons anyway.

I had cause to speak to a Hungarian licence holder this week who had been weaving in and out of lanes and using left turn lane to jump ahead of the queue of traffic at lights before pushing back in to go straight ahead.

Me "What does it say in the highway code about lanes"
him "what is this book?"
Me "the rules for driving on the road in this country"
him "oh ok no I don't know, they usually let me in"

I'm not saying it is exclusively foreign licence holders who haven't bothered to read the highway code but this may have lead to an increase in poor driving standards as home grown sheep follow the bad example set by other drivers who have never taken a UK driving test.
Standard Dave

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What was the result? 60 quid, I assume?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 pm

martine wrote:Yes I've seen a few red gamblers recently but yesterday I was behind 2 drivers who had other variations of poor driving...

1st was one who crossed a green light in slow moving traffic but then stopped at the repeator light which was now red...let some pedestrians cross (which I could almost understand) and then remained firmly behind the red light...until I beeped them.

2nd was someone who stopped at a green light on a roundabout with a clear road ahead...until I beeped them.

:shock:

I'm wondering if you need to go on some anger management therapy, Martine? A lot of "beeping" in the above... Victor Meldrew of Bristol, I assume?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Ralge » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Turning into a Darwinist, I wonder whether we should revert to there being very little time lapse between a red from one direction and the green from the side.
That would leave the red-light runners in more of a pickle and act as a culling agent.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby Standard Dave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Ralge wrote:Turning into a Darwinist, I wonder whether we should revert to there being very little time lapse between a red from one direction and the green from the side.
That would leave the red-light runners in more of a pickle and act as a culling agent.

Thats one solution darwin awards the other would be a whole lot more red light cameras (I wonder if they are as unpopular as speed cameras).
Standard Dave

Postby fungus » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Standard Dave wrote:
Ralge wrote:Turning into a Darwinist, I wonder whether we should revert to there being very little time lapse between a red from one direction and the green from the side.

Thats one solution darwin awards the other would be a whole lot more red light cameras (I wonder if they are as unpopular as speed cameras).

I don't think that red light cameras are as unpopular as speed cameras. IIAC isn't there a second or two delay after the lights change to red before the camera is activated.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby brianhaddon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Red light running has been around for a while. I first observed it France when we used to drive there in the 80s. I would cross a light and it would change when I was just exiting - there would be a stream of followers most when the lights were on red! Then it seemed to be prevalent in places like London and now quite common in the nearest town to me - Burton on Trent. Talking of stopping at repeater lights another phenomena I have encountered is someone turning right on green at a light controlled T-junction stopping at the red repeater for the cross traffic!! This I have witnessed more than once.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby martine » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I'm wondering if you need to go on some anger management therapy, Martine? A lot of "beeping" in the above... Victor Meldrew of Bristol, I assume?

:D - yes it surprised me too...can't remember the last time I beeped before yesterday, then 2 come along at once!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:46 am

But . .. It takes two to tangle - so an innocent third party would be as likely to suffer :(
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Ralge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:20 am

Horse wrote:

But . .. It takes two to tangle - so an innocent third party would be as likely to suffer :(

I like that phrase "two to tangle" - may I use it?

I know, I had tongue firmly in cheek - having been slapped around on another thread because of suggesting Advanced drivers have to put up with Council interventions that can be seen as dumbing down driving i.e. denying us opportunities to use our superior skills.
These interventions (including extending the time-gap between a red light in one direction and the green in the conflicting direction) are indeed done for the greater good, to protect innocent third parties.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum