Any differences between fleet training companies?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Zebedee » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Hello everyone,

Is there any difference between the main fleet training companies (Drive & Survive, RoSPA, etc)? Would they cover the same thing? Or do they structure their day's training differently?

As well as RoSPA and Drive & Survive, which are the other companies to consider? Must have excellent instructional ability, not just knowledge of roadcraft.
Zebedee

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 pm

AADrivetech is one of the largest fleet providers, there is also peak performance, TTC etc etc..
daz6215

Postby Ralge » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:41 am

To answer your question, they all do slightly different things with a mix of different formats using an overlapping set of trainers that work day-to-day with different corporate hats on (very, very few trainers are employed).
As regards the training, it sounds obvious, trite even but any fleet training should mirror the client's needs. The quality of the training can and should only be measured against the client's needs and objectives.
So, for instance:
- what are your fleet costs and issues
- what driver/vehicle/journey profile do you have (the initial review/audit can be as sophisticated, expensive and on-line as you like but, call me old-fashioned, a review on paper or in Excel is just as good.)
How would you like to change these, improve the figures, how much are you prepared to spend?

Answer these questions and you will be able to specify the training input and required driver learning outcomes through a mix of
- driver manual
- driving workshops (specific rather than general)
- on-road training: defensive, Eco, Advanced, UK familiarisation, parking/manoeuvring
- in-house assessor training and accreditation.
Pick and work hand-in-hand with (A) a company or (B) standalone trainer(s) that can deliver this in the medium to long term within your budget. Put your managers and directors through the programme first - the most successful fleet training interventions come with management's first hand involvement and engagement with the process and commitment to its aims - that is indispensable. I'd insist on senior exec's involvement at the outset. They need to see what they are paying for AND buy into it.
Working away from home this week and next and the week after, I know which one I'd go for between (A) or (B)
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby daz6215 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:03 pm

daz6215

Postby Zebedee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 pm

Many thanks for all the info. Client requirement is to cover the basics of Advanced, in order to improve driver skills and thereby reduce risk. 1:1 training is deemed appropriate for the drivers in question. Senior management is bought in.

Having looked at in-car training, it seems like most fleet training companies offer a half-day session. Is this good enough to provide a 'critical mass' of roadcraft? Half a day seems like very little, considering we're talking about ingrained driving habits and behaviours. Has anybody got experience of how longlasting the changes are? After half a day, how much can people take in? Of that, how much sticks?
Zebedee

Postby Nigel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:35 pm

You bring up some very good points, and the real answer to most is no, it's not enough time and would only touch on possible improving his habits to a better standard no where near advanced driving unless his standards are high already, which I would suspect not if your talking 1:1 training, the minimum would be a couple of half day sessions I would suggest giving chance to go away and improve. The big thing is whether he will accept changes or what his attitude is towards improvement. Your are really looking for a bespoke company to give you a program suited to your needs,
If you want any more info feel free to pm me .
Nigel

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Interestingly, my first glimpse of AD was a 1/2 day defensive driving course from my employer at the time with 2/1 ratio. Also the first time I'd driven a 3.5t-er so was quite an experience.

It by no means gave me advanced training but just a handful of tips that I've incorporated into my driving and are still valid today. Ultimately it was the first step for me in going the IAM route (albeit with a few years in between) so it's not going to deliver fast tracK AD, but I'd hope that it can give each driver some insight into areas that need to be addressed. Unfortunately it will then depend on the individual to self-improve.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Ralge » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:49 pm

I deliver an amalgam of AD, defensive and Eco that overlap unless the client specifies a prep. for an Advanced test (a 3-day course when combined with in-house assessing).
If this is not specified, I would go for a half-day workshop session for 12-16 drivers followed by 1:1 on-road sessions.
This would cost little more per head than just 1:1 sessions.
The classroom session establishes a connection between trainer and delegates, sets the scene for the on-road training and, in my experience, whets the delegates' appetite for in-car learning.
Because the training takes place over two sessions, learning can be checked and reinforced, hence there's a good chance of improved performance over the longer term.
I target getting delegates out of an Unconscious Competence (autopilot?) into a Reflective Competence in their driving and give them a 3-column competence framework against which they can continue to self-assess for long-term benefits.
I target particular elements of this framework when specific issues are identified by the client - if not, the 3 main crash contexts are rear-ends, crossing path/side-swipes and parking and manoeuvring. As an overlay, I focus on what the delegate wants to focus on - there's nothing like a committed learner!
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Return to Advanced Driving Forum