Car or Driver

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Silk » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Which is more important?

For me it's driver every time.
Silk

Postby trashbat » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 pm

How about: the driver avoids getting into trouble, and the car gets them out when they fail?
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Silk » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:40 pm

trashbat wrote:How about: the driver avoids getting into trouble, and the car gets them out when they fail?

How about the drivers who rely on the car to get them out of trouble when they fail?
Silk

Postby Standard Dave » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:22 pm

For a safe smooth drive the driver is key.

If it's going fast in a straight line the car is the most important factor.
Standard Dave

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Are they not yin and yang? :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby dombooth » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 pm

What's the point in having one without the other? ;)

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Silk wrote:Which is more important?

For me it's driver every time.

I agree. Whatever the car, however many "aids", it is still the Human at the wheel who will decide.
For now.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby martine » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:00 pm

Standard Dave wrote:If it's going fast in a straight line the car is the most important factor.

Something like this? :shock:

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/

(Martin - Bloodhound Ambassador)
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Standard Dave » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:42 pm

martine wrote:
Standard Dave wrote:If it's going fast in a straight line the car is the most important factor.

Something like this? :shock:

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/

(Martin - Bloodhound Ambassador)

Stick the same driver in a less capable vehicle and it won't go as fast in a straight line, so yes.
Standard Dave

Postby martine » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:02 am

Standard Dave wrote:Stick the same driver in a less capable vehicle and it won't go as fast in a straight line, so yes.

Stick a less capable driver (not Andy Green) in the same vehicle (Bloodhound SSC) and it won't go as fast in a straight line...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jameslb101 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 am

martine wrote:
Standard Dave wrote:Stick the same driver in a less capable vehicle and it won't go as fast in a straight line, so yes.

Stick a less capable driver (not Andy Green) in the same vehicle (Bloodhound SSC) and it won't go as fast in a straight line...

Can I be the one who puts that to the test? Please?
jameslb101

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 am

Silk wrote:
trashbat wrote:How about: the driver avoids getting into trouble, and the car gets them out when they fail?

How about the drivers who rely on the car to get them out of trouble when they fail?

Sounds as if you are suggesting that "a body" of drivers exist who either deliberately drive to trigger a car's safety devices or to some degree rely on the features/technology of todays cars to avoid getting into trouble in normal driving.

The law says I must change my tyres at 1.6mm. In practice I change them at 3mm because I know they will perform better in the wet and will provide more safety. We are told that below 1.6mm a tyres ability to perform in the wet reduces dramatically. Because I do this would you include me in your "body" of drivers?
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby knighterrant » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:48 pm

jcochrane wrote:Sounds as if you are suggesting that "a body" of drivers exist who ... to some degree rely on the features/technology of todays cars to avoid getting into trouble in normal driving.

I'd suggest that that's the vast majority of drivers on our roads. Most of them probably even have no idea of the technology, they just know that cars are inherently safer so subconsciously (or even consciously for many) they'll drive with less care in the knowledge that the car will sort it out for them, or at least save them getting injured too much when it really goes wrong!

jcochrane wrote:The law says I must change my tyres at 1.6mm.

I could be wrong, but I thought the law said you must change your tyres BEFORE they get down to 1.6mm. Those of us who change at around 3mm are doing just that.
knighterrant

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:36 pm

knighterrant wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Sounds as if you are suggesting that "a body" of drivers exist who ... to some degree rely on the features/technology of todays cars to avoid getting into trouble in normal driving.

I'd suggest that that's the vast majority of drivers on our roads. Most of them probably even have no idea of the technology, they just know that cars are inherently safer so subconsciously (or even consciously for many) they'll drive with less care in the knowledge that the car will sort it out for them, or at least save them getting injured too much when it really goes wrong!

jcochrane wrote:The law says I must change my tyres at 1.6mm.

I could be wrong, but I thought the law said you must change your tyres BEFORE they get down to 1.6mm. Those of us who change at around 3mm are doing just that.

The argument above could of course apply to any advancement in car technology but I was querying how to get grip from summer tyres when conditions exceeds the limit of the compound to grip. As silk's comments have links to his views expressed in the thread on tyres.

I am no expert in law but I thought the law read something like "A minimum of 1.6mm in a continuous band throughout the central three-quarters of the tread width, throughout the whole of the circumference." There are others well versed in the law whom I'm sure will put me right on this and slap me on the wrist for misquoting the law. :)
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Silk » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:42 pm

martine wrote:

I'm sure I could go as fast. It'd be the straight line bit I'd have a problem with. Not the mention the bravery (stupidity?) of getting in it in the first place. ;-)
Silk

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum