IAM Masters v RoSPA

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:17 pm

martine wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:...I remain continually perplexed by the notion that everything the IAM do is regarded as always being slightly below RoSPA Gold. IAM F1rst is 'about a RoSPA Gold', IAM Masters is considered as 'about a RoSPA Gold'

Who said that?

Masters is considered by many to be above Gold...in fact there is one poster (can't remember if it's here or on the IAM forum) that has done both and confirmed that in detail. Masters has been described as being like Police Advanced (by our Staff Examiner who examines both) - with the big exception of speed i.e. the level of detail and accuracy in all areas of the drive expected. The test itself is 90 mins driving and includes detailed Highway Code and Roadcraft questions enroute and/or while stationary.

IAM F1rst is described as equivalent to Gold.

I think sentiments of RoSPA vs IAM grade seniority display a conferred attitude, rather than a demonstrable fact and i've encountered it more times than I can recall. I don't have time for it because it's confusing.

As Waremark et al have said, 1-1 time with an HPC gatekeeper would give me the greatest gains but without the need to hold membership of any organisation and that fits well with me.

Perhaps what AD needs is an IAM-RoSPA coalition? It could be called 'New AD'.

(anyone want to share my popcorn? :wink: )
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby martine » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Kimosabe wrote:Perhaps what AD needs is an IAM-RoSPA coalition? It could be called 'New AD'.

I'd welcome it...stronger together and all that!

We are not in competition after all.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:19 am

jcochrane wrote:
waremark wrote:
martine wrote:IAM F1rst is described as equivalent to Gold.

By some, not others.

The suggestion that Masters is equivalent to Police Advanced without the speed has never seemed very meaningful to me. Police Advanced without the speed, pursuit, use of warning equipment or exemptions is not police advanced. The absence of those matters changes the course, the test, and indeed the whole drive.

And the way we frequently see police advanced drivers driving on Police Camera Action style programmes would not always score well on Masters!

This reminded me of a debate on here about what an officer is taught and what they actually do. I was discussing driving with an advanced driver from Kent the other day. He said how he would heel n toe, use fixed input and left foot brake, because it adds to safety, but not whilst on a recent retest.

An ex-trafpol I know was told (and this would have been 20-odd years ago, probably) that he had two options for his final drive:
1. 'By the book', but he had better be very good
2. Faster, but possibly a bit ragged
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby superplum » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:47 am

Kimosabe wrote: Perhaps what AD needs is an IAM-RoSPA coalition? It could be called 'New AD'.

Why mix business with self improvement?
8)
superplum

Postby martine » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:47 pm

superplum wrote:
Kimosabe wrote: Perhaps what AD needs is an IAM-RoSPA coalition? It could be called 'New AD'.

Why mix business with self improvement?
8)

:lol: very droll, very droll.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum