Turning Onto One Way Street

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby YesMan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to research this question online, and I'm currently re-reading the entire Highway Code to see if I can find the answer (I should probably try the Index first!).

I wanted to know what people think about signalling when turning onto a one way street, for example:

Code: Select all

||    ▼    ||
||    A    ||
||    ▼    ||
||          ==========
||             ►   ►
||          -  -  -  -
||             ◄ B ◄
||          ==========
||    ▼    ||
||    A    ||
||    ▼    ||

If you are turning left from street "B" onto one-way street "A", do you feel it is necessary to indicate?

My feeling on this particular situation is that a signal would be appropriate if it will benefit someone, like if someone is behind you. But a signal should also not confuse people. Of course, it probably won't confuse people if you signal to turn left at a junction (as in the example above); however, how do you feel about that when turning left is the *only* option because of the one-way system?

Personally, I'd signal. Highway Code rule 103: Use [signals] to advise other road users before changing course or direction, stopping or moving off.

Many thanks.
Last edited by YesMan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the YesMan, PCV and CPC license holder.
Can I take you to your destination? Yes!
YesMan

Postby michael769 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 pm

As always the decision is based on if it is necessary.

In considering if it is necessary one mus be mindful that not all road users will be car drivers familar with the Highway Code, nor can one assume that everybody is aware that the road is one way.

So yes I would certainly consider signalling in such circumstances.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby fungus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:01 pm

I would consider a signal from the point of view that a non driving pedestrian might not be aware that you have to turn left, however, I would not usually consider a signal as being necessary when you have no option but to proceed in a particular direction, and I can see no benefit to following drivers.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby YesMan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:43 pm

So yes I would certainly consider signalling in such circumstances.

I would not usually consider a signal as being necessary when you have no option but to proceed in a particular direction

This is the conflict that I feel in my mind. I guess when I imagine it, I don't include pedestrians in the equasion; however, I probably should. But, when thinking about this situation, signalling both makes sense for the sake of conveying information, and doesn't make sense because there's no other choice.

I think any benefit would be to eliminate any possibility that anyone (motorist or pedestrian) isn't clear about where you are going in your vehicle, and in this case it wouldn't really confuse anyone - because you are actually turning.

Many thanks.
YesMan

Postby ScoobyChris » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:50 pm

YesMan wrote:This is the conflict that I feel in my mind. I guess when I imagine it, I don't include pedestrians in the equasion; however, I probably should. But, when thinking about this situation, signalling both makes sense for the sake of conveying information, and doesn't make sense because there's no other choice.

The HC specifically mentions pedestrians when it talks about signalling and I'm thinking that might be the only time I'd signal - I'm not sure whether it's beneficial to those behind me and the people approaching from my right won't be able to see my signal anyhow.

To make matters more interesting, what about a junction like this (where you want to join the right hand lane immediately after the junction) :D

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Winchester&hl=en&ll=51.065834,-1.313682&spn=0.010437,0.026608&sll=51.528642,-0.101599&sspn=0.41607,1.196136&oq=Winchester&hnear=Winchester,+Hampshire,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=51.064627,-1.308883&panoid=dACl7ZrUPikQLQC7MRij4w&cbp=12,259.67,,0,15.25

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby YesMan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:41 pm

The HC specifically mentions pedestrians when it talks about signalling and I'm thinking that might be the only time I'd signal - I'm not sure whether it's beneficial to those behind me and the people approaching from my right won't be able to see my signal anyhow.

To make matters more interesting, what about a junction like this (where you want to join the right hand lane immediately after the junction) :D

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Winche ... 7,,0,15.25

I agree wholeheartedly, pedestrians would benefit - or any cars behind that aren't paying attention to the type of road they are going to be joining :!:

That looks like a fantastic way to enter a one-way street :D! With a road that's curving to the left like that (not to mention the blue "turn left" sign), I guess it's blatantly obvious to most people what's about to happen. But, as anyone whose driven for any length of time knows, some drivers are completely oblivious to everything - including themselves!
YesMan

Return to Advanced Driving Forum