Who has right of way

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TripleS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby 7db » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Ignoring the boring personality stuff and back on topic:-

This is a good example of why matching speed and changing lanes and then accelerating (ie triangles) is superior to blending it all into a banana. You can focus on the threats one at a time and take account of them.

In my drive as V1 yesterday, the van pulled out into lane two just as I did, but as I hadn't committed to the pass, I was able to lurk and then pop out to L3 before getting jiggy with the loud pedal.
7db

Postby martine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:27 pm

7db wrote:...before getting jiggy with the loud pedal.

:lol:

Were there any clues to impending doom from the van? As I'm sure you're aware, sometimes vehicles begin a very slight movement in the lane before committing. I expect you had it all covered.

Lane drift seems to be especially true if they are exiting the next slip road...many will move to the left of L1 from many hundreds of metres back. I guess it's subconscious?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby 7db » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:46 pm

martine wrote:Were there any clues to impending doom from the van?

Well it was a white van so I was expecting the worst. But I could also see that the road ahead of it was clear so no obvious reason to pull out. He had joined ahead of me and was just establishing himself in his favourite lane, at a guess.
7db

Postby TripleS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby martine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:06 pm

7db wrote:He had joined ahead of me and was just establishing himself in his favourite lane, at a guess.

Bit like Edwina on 'Dangerous Drivers' last week. :roll:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Ancient » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:23 pm

martine wrote:... sometimes vehicles begin a very slight movement in the lane before committing. ...

Lane drift seems to be especially true if they are exiting the next slip road...many will move to the left of L1 from many hundreds of metres back. I guess it's subconscious?

Not in my case it isn't, I'll deliberately use lane drift to reinforce trafficator indication (it often has a more positive impact), then see what the response is of cars around me. I call it 'controlling my safety zone using road positioning' :)
Ancient

Postby kwaka jack » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:45 pm

I think next time I'll just stay quiet and wont ask questions :lol:
kwaka jack

Postby martine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:09 pm

kwaka jack wrote:I think next time I'll just stay quiet and wont ask questions :lol:

Yes flippin' trouble maker! :wink:
martine

Postby kwaka jack » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:36 pm

martine wrote:
kwaka jack wrote:I think next time I'll just stay quiet and wont ask questions :lol:

I do like to cause a kerfuffle.
kwaka jack

Postby fungus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:37 pm

kwaka jack wrote:
martine wrote:

I do like to cause a kerfuffle.

You certainly succeeded this time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iv'e taken this from a Gundog forum that I post on. It could be applied to driving though.

"The only thing two trainers will ever agree on is that the third trainer is doing it all wrong."
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum