Don Palmer - Car Control day

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Horse wrote: The mental pressure is a massive 'thing' to overcome. I find that it's best to concentrate on something positive, an - a process, action or 'outcome' - which shunts the monkey off your back.

Oddly enough, something as daft as singing can help, left brain (logical) says "You got that bend wrong last time, you'll do it again!" so you tense up etc. - but give it something to do (whether useful or positive or even a distraction) and it lets right brain get on with driving :)

Well, 'new age' or not, there may be some science which backs it up . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/0/21660191

Another option is to remove all distractions if you wish to try to trigger an epiphany.

You can also try to train your brain to cut out distractions.

Neuroscientists believe moments of insight occur in the right side of the brain in an area near the front called the anterior superior temporal gyrus. Research suggests there is a significant increase in high energy brain waves (called gamma waves) which erupt from this spot when that eureka moment occurs.

On Horizon, soon. Unless the fairy dust gets in your eyes so you blink and miss it :lol:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:29 pm

Horse wrote:
Horse wrote: The mental pressure is a massive 'thing' to overcome. I find that it's best to concentrate on something positive, an - a process, action or 'outcome' - which shunts the monkey off your back.

Oddly enough, something as daft as singing can help, left brain (logical) says "You got that bend wrong last time, you'll do it again!" so you tense up etc. - but give it something to do (whether useful or positive or even a distraction) and it lets right brain get on with driving :)

Well, 'new age' or not, there may be some science which backs it up . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/0/21660191

Another option is to remove all distractions if you wish to try to trigger an epiphany.

You can also try to train your brain to cut out distractions.

Neuroscientists believe moments of insight occur in the right side of the brain in an area near the front called the anterior superior temporal gyrus. Research suggests there is a significant increase in high energy brain waves (called gamma waves) which erupt from this spot when that eureka moment occurs.

On Horizon, soon. Unless the fairy dust gets in your eyes so you blink and miss it :lol:

Just watched this via the BBC iPlayer; fascinating stuff with,potentially, a lot of relevance to driving and driver training. Much to do with problem-solving, which might not instantly seem related - but both the DSA over here and, earlier, the MSF in the USA have used the 'What if?' prompt for improving hazard perception.

iPlayer still lists several previous Horizons, so still possible to see it beyond tne usual one-week deadine.

And for anyone fearing hippydom, lots of science, MRIs and EEGs ;D
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby muggins » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi, I had a good day yesterday (19) with Don Palmer, learnt some new things also learnt about the whys and wherefores about bits and pieces that I that I did either naturally or by instinct, also went down in the lift and came back up a bit more relaxed. All in all it was a good day, a few more tools to put in the toolbox to be used as and when required. Certainly got the grey matter going, so does going out with any of the professionals.
muggins

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:53 pm

Watch that Horizon programme - it may be to do with the white parts of the brain! ;D
Horse

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:50 am

muggins wrote:Hi, I had a good day yesterday (19) with Don Palmer, learnt some new things also learnt about the whys and wherefores about bits and pieces that I that I did either naturally or by instinct, also went down in the lift and came back up a bit more relaxed. All in all it was a good day, a few more tools to put in the toolbox to be used as and when required. Certainly got the grey matter going, so does going out with any of the professionals.

Glad you enjoyed it - I found that I continued to "discover" things for quite a while after the day that I hadn't been aware I'd picked up.

Hopefully tyre wear wasn't too great :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby martine » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:49 am

muggins wrote:Hi, I had a good day yesterday (19) with Don Palmer, learnt some new things also learnt about the whys and wherefores about bits and pieces that I that I did either naturally or by instinct, also went down in the lift and came back up a bit more relaxed. All in all it was a good day, a few more tools to put in the toolbox to be used as and when required. Certainly got the grey matter going, so does going out with any of the professionals.

More detail would be very interesting if you feel you're able?

Also how did your tyres hold up?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby muggins » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:28 pm

More info as requested.
The tyres as regards tread depth are showing hardly any wear what so ever, but there is wear i.e. scrub wear on the side wall part of the tyre, if that is of any info? I did get some understeer and also a wee bit of oversteer, maybe I did not try hard enough or maybe I found the limit?? John Paul who was driving a 911 I believe did do a lot of wear to his rear tyres, very heavy with his right foot.
I was holding the steering wheel a bit tight (white knuckle) however after admitting it and going down the lift and coming back up it was finger tip on the wheel, quite relaxed.
Had a major problem with not accelerating through the bend, I don't mean wellying it but just either a constant or gentle acceleration, Don was saying lift off completely in the bend and you will get more grip (weight transfer) and as you see the exit/straight accelerate, which I was doing in the end but having to really think about doing it.
Another element was to pre-load/prepare the steering prior to actually turning the steering wheel ( whether that's the correct terminology ?????) Mr Cochrane has told me about it before so he knows what I am prattling on about, well yes I understood it but struggle with doing it!! If that makes sense.
There are other bits and pieces which will eventually come back to me as a sudden flash of inspiration, all in all well worth doing including the motion sickness sitting as passenger in my own car and the 911.
muggins

Postby jcochrane » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:40 am

muggins wrote:More info as requested.
The tyres as regards tread depth are showing hardly any wear what so ever, but there is wear i.e. scrub wear on the side wall part of the tyre, if that is of any info? I did get some understeer and also a wee bit of oversteer, maybe I did not try hard enough or maybe I found the limit?? John Paul who was driving a 911 I believe did do a lot of wear to his rear tyres, very heavy with his right foot.
I was holding the steering wheel a bit tight (white knuckle) however after admitting it and going down the lift and coming back up it was finger tip on the wheel, quite relaxed.
Had a major problem with not accelerating through the bend, I don't mean wellying it but just either a constant or gentle acceleration, Don was saying lift off completely in the bend and you will get more grip (weight transfer) and as you see the exit/straight accelerate, which I was doing in the end but having to really think about doing it.
Another element was to pre-load/prepare the steering prior to actually turning the steering wheel ( whether that's the correct terminology ?????) Mr Cochrane has told me about it before so he knows what I am prattling on about, well yes I understood it but struggle with doing it!! If that makes sense.
There are other bits and pieces which will eventually come back to me as a sudden flash of inspiration, all in all well worth doing including the motion sickness sitting as passenger in my own car and the 911.

Sounds like you had an interesting fun day. I think the "pre-load" you're talking about might be "hinting".

Interesting what you said about the 911 tyre wear. When I was with Don my car was used as the "demonstration car" but with me driving and another pupil in the back. This did mean having to push the car harder, under Don's instruction, to create/demonstrate loss of grip and how it was caused and then demonstrating how to avoid or get out of the situation. My tyres were in a very sorry state at the end of the day.

Unless you were doing something different from me the sudden lift off the brake followed hard braking so achieving a positive shift in weight producing changes in tyre slip angles (front and back) and thus overcoming understeer and getting the car to come back onto the line set by the steering wheel.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby faboka » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Well had my day with Don last Wednesday :D

Arrived at the dinner just before 9.30am and after getting a brew Don began his coaching. Now I've read that some people aren't keen on Don's approach as he makes you work for it, no handing of information on a plate here. This I tried to prepared for but its still hard work.

After the dinner it was then a drive down to the bottom of the airfield. Once there Don began setting his cones up for his course. Once done it was time for me to get use to the circuit also gives Don a chance to see what he working with. After a few laps we swapped over for Don to give a demonstration. Straight away it was obvious I had much to discover. Were I would be understeering (Skoda Fabia vRS) around the corners, Don was able to hook the front end right into the apex's. One section was designed to represent a high speed lane change. Here Don was using much less steering effort and was able to get on the power much earlier resulting in a higher speed for the entry to the next.

As mention before, Don coaching works by making you notice the differences between your driving and his. From here Don then goes onto explain the theory behind it. Throughout the day slip angles, tyres, hinting, weight distribution and how the brain works are explained. I even took the lift down a couple of levels and came back up more relaxed :D

A couple of the area's I found tricky to get my head around was releasing the steering lock, quickly and smoothly. I also seem to have a natural habit of getting back on the power as soon as I'm into the corner. I was shocked to discover how even the slightest amount of Power has a big impact on weight distribution and thus grip.

By the end of the day I was really enjoying myself was even getting to a point wear the rear was starting to move around a little. It then got to the point were Don had to tell me to go home and save my tyres :)

Speaking of which it wasn't that bad. Couple of days before hand I swapped my rear wheels/tyres from my winters to my old summers. However I was unable to swap the front winters tyres to summer tyres. The front (winters) have suffered from some outer block damage however still got plenty of life left. They even still worked well in this weekends snow :D . Rears are getting low but still road legal. The biggest area of the car that seemed to suffer was my front brakes but that's down to cheap motor factor pads.

I have a feeling this was my first of many visits I'm be having with Don. Highly recommend him to anyone.
John
faboka

Postby martine » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanks for the write up chaps...very interesting. Don does seem to have a certain style.

So how do think your new-found skills (or even appreciation) translate to road driving?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jcochrane » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:12 am

martine wrote:Thanks for the write up chaps...very interesting. Don does seem to have a certain style.

So how do think your new-found skills (or even appreciation) translate to road driving?

After a session with Don there are a number of things you do better, steering, braking, greater awareness of balance (how very slight throttle adjustment can make a world of difference), delicate light minimal precise steering inputs etc. many small things that make you a better, smoother driver.

A secondary benefit is you do have a better understanding of grip, how to feel for it, what causes loss of it it and what to do about it if it happens.

I think part of Don's skill is whilst you may think you're focusing on grip levels he is in a subtle way instilling the lessons to achieve the results mentioned in the first paragraph. You may not realise it at the time but you come away doing things better.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum