Don Palmer - Car Control day

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gareth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:57 pm

I think of it like this:-

It's OK to beat yourself up; just don't take it to heart!
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby waremark » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:29 pm

Gareth wrote:I think of it like this:-

It's OK to beat yourself up; just don't take it to heart!

And remember to praise yourself often when you do things well.
waremark

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 pm

waremark wrote: Do I think this new-agey stuff works for me? No

Where/what is the cut-off between what is acceptable to you and what is unacceptable? :?: :?

Is it just down to how it's described, or by whom? e.g. Why the 'new-agey stuff' tag? If something is explained from a scientific basis, does that make a difference?

Or do you stick with cross-ply tyres and drum brakes, because these 'new-agey' radials and discs are obviously no good :lol: :shock: 8) :wink:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:45 pm

Horse wrote:

Where/what is the cut-off between what is acceptable to you and what is unacceptable? :?: :?

Is it just down to how it's described, or by whom? e.g. Why the 'new-agey stuff' tag? If something is explained from a scientific basis, does that make a difference?

Or do you stick with cross-ply tyres and drum brakes, because these 'new-agey' radials and discs are obviously no good :lol: :shock: 8) :wink:

I think waremark's car might be quite fun on cross-plys! :twisted:
zadocbrown

Postby Gareth » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Horse wrote:

Where/what is the cut-off between what is acceptable to you and what is unacceptable?

Different people respond well in differing degrees to different styles of coaching. Is that a problem for you? :P

Edited to add: just to avoid my post being almost completely worthless, the thing I liked about Don's coaching was the way he sidled stuff into your brain without you being aware of it.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby martine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Gareth wrote:...the thing I liked about Don's coaching was the way he sidled stuff into your brain without you being aware of it.

That's just plain evil...indoctrinating his clearly disturbed thoughts of car control without your conscious agreement...should be banned.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Gareth wrote:
Horse wrote:

Where/what is the cut-off between what is acceptable to you and what is unacceptable?

Different people respond well in differing degrees to different styles of coaching. Is that a problem for you? :P

Edited to add: just to avoid my post being almost completely worthless, the thing I liked about Don's coaching was the way he sidled stuff into your brain without you being aware of it.

Not a problem for me :)

A-n-d- -y-o-u-r- c-l-a-r-i-f-i-c-a-ti-o-n- a-n-s-w-e-r-s m-y q-u-e-s-t-i-o-n: y-o-u-'l-l a-c-c-e-p-t 'n-e-w-a-g-e-y' w-h-e-n y-o-u d-o-n-'-t r-e-a-l-i-s-e i-t-'-s b-e-i-n-g d-o-n-e t-o y-o-u :)

Edit: apologies to Gareth for my confusion, so that bit 'crossed out'.
Last edited by Horse on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:03 pm

... except that the original statement was Mark's, so Gareth's view on his attitude to new-agey coaching is only relevant as it applies to Gareth, and it isn't a clarification of Mark's position :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Horse » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... except that the original statement was Mark's, so Gareth's view on his attitude to new-agey coaching is only relevant as it applies to Gareth, and it isn't a clarification of Mark's position :)

We've made friends by PM, I was just heading in now to amend the post ;)

Which reminds me, I owe you a PM too 8)
Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:54 pm

zadocbrown wrote: I think waremark's car might be quite fun on cross-plys! :twisted:

I think there's a lot to be said for old-tech equipment. Let's be honest, if high-spec radials let go beyond the limit on-road during 'enthusiastic' driving, then the outcome is likely to happen far more quickly and violently than would on cross-plys . . . :)
Horse

Postby martine » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Horse wrote:I think there's a lot to be said for old-tech equipment. Let's be honest, if high-spec radials let go beyond the limit on-road during 'enthusiastic' driving, then the outcome is likely to happen far more quickly and violently than would on cross-plys . . . :)

Isn't that what this is all about?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby muggins » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:30 pm

G'day gentlemen (?) I have got the 19th of this month booked with Don and I have been reading this post with some " oh blooming" mathematics are involved ( at the begging of post) and then "new age" comes into it, well for me "new age" was a long long time ago!!
So to cut a long story short I am going to hopefully learn and retain something and also ENJOY myself, and never mind the tyre wear!!!!!!!
muggins

Postby waremark » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... except that the original statement was Mark's, so Gareth's view on his attitude to new-agey coaching is only relevant as it applies to Gareth, and it isn't a clarification of Mark's position :)

If I don't know it is being done to me I don't suppose I have any choice but to accept it. But there is a danger that I go away thinking that I haven't learned anything and that my very expensive day has been rather bad value. Perhaps I am not perceptive enough to realise even afterwards how much I did learn.
waremark

Postby faboka » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:09 pm

muggins wrote:G'day gentlemen (?) I have got the 19th of this month booked with Don and I have been reading this post with some " oh blooming" mathematics are involved ( at the begging of post) and then "new age" comes into it, well for me "new age" was a long long time ago!!
So to cut a long story short I am going to hopefully learn and retain something and also ENJOY myself, and never mind the tyre wear!!!!!!!

I'll be there on the 20th :)
John
faboka

Postby kfae8959 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... except that the original statement was Mark's, so Gareth's view on his attitude to new-agey coaching is...

I thought Mark was quoting James?

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum