'making progress' or impatience?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Horse » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm

dombooth wrote:
Horse wrote: Serious answer is that I can only think of one scenario where overtaking might reduce risk (and, even then, possibly as a temporary solution or delay). I'd be interested to hear what other examples people could suggest. If there aren't any more, isn't that something to raise concern . . . ? :?:

If the driver behind is texting / on his phone I'd rather not be in front of them.

'Behaviour of the driver following' was the one I was thinking of, tailgating etc. However, even overtaking then might only provide temporary respite as it's possible that driver might overtake soon too.

Anyone else? Can't be that difficult, surely? :lol:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby GJD » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Horse wrote:'Behaviour of the driver following' was the one I was thinking of, tailgating etc. However, even overtaking then might only provide temporary respite as it's possible that driver might overtake soon too.

I have, on occasion, overtaken a larger vehicle (van, lorry, that kind of thing) in traffic with no expectation or intention of moving any further up the queue, solely so that I am not following a vehicle I can not see around or through very well. I'd do it because having a better view ahead is more relaxing and offers me more sources of information to think about, so I'd enjoy the driving more. Perhaps one could argue that making the problem go away instead of having to manage it has a safety benefit because it reduces the risk that my emotions will become tainted by frustration.
GJD

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:14 pm

GJD wrote:
Horse wrote:'Behaviour of the driver following' was the one I was thinking of, tailgating etc. However, even overtaking then might only provide temporary respite as it's possible that driver might overtake soon too.

overtaken a larger vehicle in traffic . . . solely so that I am not following a vehicle I can not see around or through very well. I'd do it because having a better view ahead is more relaxing and offers me more sources of information to think about,

Good! I like that one, indeed I'll try and avoid following 'heavies' and vans in motorway nose-to-tail for exactly the same reasons.

That's two good reasons . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Glad to see such healthy debate taking place.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum