RoSPA after IAM, group or go for it?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby roganjosh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:33 am

Morning all,

So, I've passed my IAM and now would like to go just that bit further and go for RoSPA, preferably gold :D but since I have passed my IAM with a mixture of 1's and 2's (no other marks) would you say that I need to join RoSPA and get a tutor or should I just go for it and drive as I am but brush up on my POWDER, Cockpit, Start up, etc.,

Do I need to join a group and go through training or would you say based on my IAM pass that I should just go for it?

:?:

Thanks
The better you look; the more you see.
roganjosh

Postby MrToad » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:56 am

There will be more differences between your local groups than between IAM and RoSPA themselves. The two organisations use the same source texts, mark the same things and even share examiners in many cases.

As to whether you should go for it without further help, that depends on what you want - is it the qualification itself, or the improved knowledge and skills?

Some members of the advanced driving community don't place that much importance in cockpit drills / POWDERY checks / stopping drills, believing there are other skills to prioritise.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby dth » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:03 pm

That's a very grounded post, Mr Toad, with which I agree.

The training is more important than the badge in most instances and the nature of training can be good for some but not for others.

I would suggest getting some additional training whether you do it through RoSPA or through an individual trainer as RoSPA Gold is generally considered to be a higher level of pass than IAM - but that brings us back to Mr Toad's reply!!
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Postby hanse cronje » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 pm

free your mind - hpc or ride drive

there thread closed
hanse cronje

Postby martine » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:00 pm

dth wrote:...as RoSPA Gold is generally considered to be a higher level of pass than IAM

Can of worms...but I think 'generally' a ROSPA Bronze would be an IAM fail, Silver: IAM pass and Gold: IAM F1rst. An examiner who does both has confirmed as much here...somewhere. :roll:

ADUK driving days are a great way of getting free coaching from a wide variety of drives. Some people like to collect certificates, others to experience alternative views and techniques...it depends on what you're after but I wouldn't rush into anything.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:25 am

roganjosh wrote:So, I've passed my IAM and now would like to go just that bit further and go for RoSPA, preferably gold :D

As others have said, it's worth trying to identify your motivations for going the RoSPA route, as both courses are very similar and with the new IAM F1rst, it may be that you could stick with your current IAM group and work towards that (I'm led to believe it's equivalent to a RoSPA Gold)? RoSPA has the advantage of retests to force you to maintain that standard, but having done both, I think this is the only real difference, aside from cost.

If you are just looking for general improvements and enthusiastic low-cost coaching, I'd highly recommend finding a local Mentor (check out the thread on here) or get along to some AD-UK days to find inspiration and direction. If you have deeper pockets, a half-day with a professional coach like an HPC Gatekeeper, RideDrive, etc will be enlightening...

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:15 pm

To me the biggest difference is the 3 yearly retesting you get with RoADAR. This means either you will get a good grade to start with but slide if you don't keep up your standards or conversely that you might not get the best grade first time round but after more practice attain Gold the next time. This sort of ties in with MrToad and dth emphasising that the training is the important bit - that and your attitude.

Come to an AD-UK day and meet some fellow enthusiasts - that'll help make up your mind.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Return to Advanced Driving Forum