Pull push steering - how to do it properly

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Silk wrote:I don't know where this "shuffle" thing comes from.

If you're winding on tiny amounts of lock yet still going to the top of the wheel for the pull each time, you will be shuffling your hands around the wheel, irrespective of how masterful you are of the pull/push technique.

Silk wrote:I'm sure I've said this before, but the best drivers I've had the pleasure to be driven by have, by and large, stuck to the IAM/Roadcraft method. When I see people demonstrate "alternatives", it always seems to fall apart.

And from a previous discussion about this (circa 2008 :lol: )
Current Roadcraft P78-79 advocates fixed grip for small deflections (from the illustration, either hand up to 12 o clock) and Pull Push for larger deflections. Rotational is now (in a change from the previous edition) confined to use in 'exceptional circumstances' eg during skidding or very low or high speed manoeuvres.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby hir » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
martine wrote: :shock: - that would give our Chief Observer palpitations! (he likes pull/push for anything more than about 20 degrees).

And sadly it's people like him who are responsible for the perception of the IAM "shuffle" :D

Chris

Is this the Chief Observer of Bristol IAM? Sounds as though he's suffering from a severe dose of dogma. In another thread, in another place, we are told that Bristol IAM Observers are the Crème de la crème and that their driving and observing standards exceed those of the new IAM IMI accreditation regime. I'm always suspicious of those who in one breath tell me they're the best and in the next spout a whole load of dogma at me. But, maybe that's just me.
hir

Postby TripleS » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Silk wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:
martine wrote: :shock: - that would give our Chief Observer palpitations! (he likes pull/push for anything more than about 20 degrees).

And sadly it's people like him who are responsible for the perception of the IAM "shuffle" :D

Chris

I don't know where this "shuffle" thing comes from. The gentleman in question is certainly evangelical about pull-push as with most things associated with traditional Advanced Driving. But he is very good at it. Most people who try it are not. The inability to do it properly is what results in "shuffle".

I'm sure I've said this before, but the best drivers I've had the pleasure to be driven by have, by and large, stuck to the IAM/Roadcraft method. When I see people demonstrate "alternatives", it always seems to fall apart.

I wonder if the attempt to 'demonstrate' something is part of the problem. Maybe some people would give a more worthy performance if they were more natural in their driving. Just a thought.
TripleS

Postby MGF » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:12 pm

I think it is more important to master the skill of moving between the two types of steering rather than simply mastering the use of one type.
MGF

Postby TripleS » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:24 pm

MGF wrote:I think it is more important to master the skill of moving between the two types of steering rather than simply mastering the use of one type.

Oh, only two types of steering? I thought there were rather more than just two. Certainly I don't confine myself to only two: I use quite a mixture of methods (and they're not even very clearly defined methods either), and alternate between them to suit what's going on.
TripleS

Postby jont » Wed May 01, 2013 2:39 pm

It's been reported that this thread has drifted somewhat off-topic from the original discussion. The IAM observing standards discussion is now here.
jont

Postby GJD » Wed May 01, 2013 3:42 pm

jont wrote:It's been reported that this thread has drifted somewhat off-topic from the original discussion. The IAM observing standards discussion is now here.

Wow, you're going to be busy if you need to marshal topic creep like that :).
GJD

Postby Silk » Wed May 01, 2013 6:03 pm

jont wrote:It's been reported.

Has it indeed? You can't get away with anything these days. :evil:
Silk

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum